INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bizarre: Can't connect to Library Server on LAN from Linux client  (Read 6586 times)

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Today out of the blue I haven't been able to connect to my MC library server, but it only affects a single computer on my LAN. Here's the stranger part, first of all I can see the server at the port in my web browser. Secondly I removed ~/.jriver to see if my installation had become corrupted, and tried reconnecting the my server, it immediately asked for my credentials (indicating the server was reachable) but then gave me an "There was a problem loading the library 'HTPC'". I can reach the server just fine from other remote computers so obviously this is limited to only this installation. I can also reach other services on the same computer running the library server no problem from the affected machine.

Log sent.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Bizarre: Can't connect to Library Server on LAN from Linux client
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 09:34:06 pm »

Today out of the blue I haven't been able to connect to my MC library server, but it only affects a single computer on my LAN. Here's the stranger part, first of all I can see the server at the port in my web browser. Secondly I removed ~/.jriver to see if my installation had become corrupted, and tried reconnecting the my server, it immediately asked for my credentials (indicating the server was reachable) but then gave me an "There was a problem loading the library 'HTPC'". I can reach the server just fine from other remote computers so obviously this is limited to only this installation. I can also reach other services on the same computer running the library server no problem from the affected machine.

Log sent.

I'm seeing the same issue with build .85.  To test if it's the exact same issue, try rolling back to .83 or disabling authentication; if we're seeing the same thing, either one of those should "fix" it.  Check out the build thread for more discussion.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 10:05:48 pm »

I'm seeing the same issue with build .85.  To test if it's the exact same issue, try rolling back to .83 or disabling authentication; if we're seeing the same thing, either one of those should "fix" it.  Check out the build thread for more discussion.

Yup, rolling back to 21.0.83 fixed it.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 10:10:03 pm »

I'll link this in the build thread for visibility. Thanks for reproing.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 11:32:04 am »

Can you try this build?
Added a bit of debugging that you'll see from the command line as well.
http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v21/latest/MediaCenter-21.0.87-amd64.deb

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 11:39:05 am »

Can you try this build?
Added a bit of debugging that you'll see from the command line as well.
http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v21/latest/MediaCenter-21.0.87-amd64.deb

Didn't work.

STDOUT: "Null buffer pointer on Read!"

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 11:59:03 am »

I had this problem today, it simply would not connect. I then loaded the main library and deleted the library server entry. It immediately reappeared and seems to have been "auto discovered" (never noticed that before). It still wouldn't connect. I deleted it again, it reappeared and then it connected.

I am running 21.0.85 on linux and whatever the current beta is on the (windows) server.

I have since noticed that initiating playback is unusually slow, maybe 10s or so to start playing.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 01:22:19 pm »

Didn't work.

STDOUT: "Null buffer pointer on Read!"
That particular message is not terribly important but thanks for reporting it.

I still can't reproduce this issue.
I've tested connecting from one debian system to another.
From a debian system to a windows system.
With JRemote from an iPad to a debian system.

All with authentication.
All work fine.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 02:23:45 pm »

I'm using Fedora clients and a Windows server. My remote Fedora machine can connect fine (using 21.0.85 and 21.0.87) to the server. My Fedora laptop on the LAN cannot connect with 21.0.85 and 21.0.87 but can connect with 21.0.83. Both the laptop on the LAN and my machine connecting from the WAN are both running the exact same fully up-to-date versions of Fedora and have been freshly rebooted.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 02:31:11 pm »

With JRemote from an iPad to a debian system.

Just to add a datapoint: I can connect with JRemote and gizmo fine; in fact I can access the server's webgizmo in a browser on the affected machines, so it isn't a MCWS or network connectivity issue; it's something about the library server authentication specifically.  

I haven't got a non-LAN machine to test with at the moment, but it's interesting that Brian's only seeing LAN issues.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 03:46:40 pm »

I'm thinking it's a timing thing with the segfault fix.

Can you try this next build?
The debugging message has changed a bit too. You will see empty reads, if they return non-zero bytes requested I'd like to know.

http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v21/latest/MediaCenter-21.0.87-2-amd64.deb

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 03:56:32 pm »

This build (87-2) appears to be working in my initial testing.  It failed to load the first time, but then the first retry connected and now it seems to connect successfully every time.  No output on stdout.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 05:26:15 pm »

I'm thinking it's a timing thing with the segfault fix.

Can you try this next build?
The debugging message has changed a bit too. You will see empty reads, if they return non-zero bytes requested I'd like to know.

http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v21/latest/MediaCenter-21.0.87-2-amd64.deb

Yup, that fixed it for me!

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 04:36:10 pm »

The test build fixes the library connection problem on my 64-bit Mint 17.3 laptop.
Is there a test build for 32-bit I could test?
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 10:48:16 am »

The test build fixes the library connection problem on my 64-bit Mint 17.3 laptop.
Is there a test build for 32-bit I could test?
I'm going to put out a new build across the board, probably today. The changes were in testing over the weekend on a few machines here...
Pages: [1]   Go Up