INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (VIDEO) Movie split into 2 files  (Read 5827 times)

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
  • Music and Audio enthusiast
(VIDEO) Movie split into 2 files
« on: June 04, 2016, 04:17:24 am »

Hello
I have the following issue: a move is split into two avi files and is reported twice in the juke box list
Same for the subtitles. I'd like to
- see one single entry for multiple files movies
- get the subtitle automaticvally actibe (in NMT Popcorn this happen as long as the subs files has the same nam as the movie file)
avoid merging the files pairs.
About subtitles, as soon as I play one of the files, no subtitle of the exhistings is load. I I right-click Subtiles >> Brovse and the n selected the subitles files, the file is not load ean subtitles are reported off ...
I also cannot find a way to tag movies as I do for music (right click the movie item does not show up the tag submenu...)
Thanks much
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.
NAS: QNAP TS-531 with 5x4TB HDDs
DAC/ADC: RME ADI2 PRO
Speakers (active): 2 x ATC SCM50ASL
Subs (active): 2 x REL 528 Signature

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: (VIDEO) Movie split into 2 files
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 09:24:13 am »

avoid merging the files pairs.

If you don't want to use a tool to join the movie parts together, you can build a stack instead in MC.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Stacks

The basics are just to select files, then right click and select Stacks > Stack .  This works great in Standard View; I'm not sure about Theater View.

I also cannot find a way to tag movies as I do for music (right click the movie item does not show up the tag submenu...)

That's weird isn't it?  That confused me several times until I just got used to the fact that it's not there.  But you can still activate it very easily.  <alt><enter> brings up the tagging window for whatever you have selected.  Or Edit > Tag always works too.

Brian.

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 01:31:34 pm »

Got it, thanks much
it is weird , really ... why the dev team does not fix this? it should be trivial ...
One issues left
I still cannot see subtitles in any way (either forcicing by right clicking the movie)

Cheers
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 02:21:37 pm »

To set the top stack member:

Click the stack icon in the upper right to open the stack up.  Click on the one you want to be on top (probably part 1).  Right click > Stacks > Set as stack top .  Collapse the stack back by pressing the stack icon again.

For the subtitles, I always choose them from the player screen while the movie is playing.  I right click and then go through the menus.

Brian.

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 02:39:35 pm »

Selecting subtitles by right-clicking the movie screen does not seems to work with stacked movies

thx anyway for looking
Stereo:

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 03:03:10 pm »

Stacked or not stacked, sub titles are set per file. I have almost zero experience with loading external subtitles, but I've used subtitles that are inside MKV files several times with no issues.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 06:57:45 pm »

External Subtitles would be problematic for stacked movie files, as the first part of the file name for an External Subtitle file must match the file name of the movie file.

So you would need two External Subtitle files, one for each part of the movie. You would select the correct subtitle file for the first part of the movie, and when the first part finished you would need to select the correct subtitle file for the second part of the movie. But you should only have to do that once, the first time you watched the movie, or perhaps in a quick run through before you sat down to watch it.

Also, finding External Subtitle files for split movies could be quite difficult. I think you would have to find one for the whole file, then split it, then adjust the timing for the second file. MC has a function to adjust Subtitle timing, but I don't think it would have the range to adjust for half a movie. There are tools to do that gross level of adjustment available though. Search the internet if you need one.

Note that Subtitles can be selected, and timing changed, using the OSD menu as well as the right click menu. Just arrow up on your remote or keyboard to find the functions.

Also, search the Wiki and Forum. There is plenty of information on External Subtitles.

Bottom line: If you have a split movie and need to use External Subtitles, it would probably be easier to join the split movie first.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 06:17:53 am »

Thank you roderick
there is room for improvement for stacked entries management ... it is not uncommon to get movies split into multiple files  it should be easy to manage this as long as the sub file name is the same as the movie file name I guess. My move cosist of a pair of files having these requirements
Again, JRiver does not enable the subtitle even when I manually select (right click-subtitles-browse) the file related to the running movie
BTW I'll join the file
Stereo:

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 08:24:23 pm »

BTW I'll join the file

I have a few movies that are split into two chunks at less than 700 MB each, so they fit on CDs originally. I had those stacked for English playback, but I am now just merging them anyway, so I don't have to worrying about managing the two files. They are all lower quality video anyway. Highly compressed. I'm getting rid of most stuff from that era when a CD was the largest storage device we had access to. I lose a little quality in merging them, but not too much. That is just because they are AVI files and I don't have a tool that will merge AVIs without re-encoding. So I merge to MP4s and lose a little.

Again, JRiver does not enable the subtitle even when I manually select (right click-subtitles-browse) the file related to the running movie

Strange. I works for me through the right-click menu, or using the Up Arrow (remote or keyboard) to access them via the OSD. If I have multiple External Subtitle (srt) files, all of them are shown and can be selected. They all have names like;
Movie File Name-English.srt
Movie File Name-English_001.srt
Movie File Name-001.srt
etc. All start with exactly the movie file name.

My Subtitle settings are as per the first attached image.

You shouldn't need to Browse for a Subtitle file if the files are named correctly. They will be available to select on the right-click menu directly. See my second attached image. If you are having to Browse to the Subtitle file, something is wrong with your setup.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 03:58:52 am »

External Subtitles would be problematic for stacked movie files, as the first part of the file name for an External Subtitle file must match the file name of the movie file.

So you would need two External Subtitle files, one for each part of the movie. You would select the correct subtitle file for the first part of the movie, and when the first part finished you would need to select the correct subtitle file for the second part of the movie. But you should only have to do that once, the first time you watched the movie, or perhaps in a quick run through before you sat down to watch it.

Also, finding External Subtitle files for split movies could be quite difficult. I think you would have to find one for the whole file, then split it, then adjust the timing for the second file. MC has a function to adjust Subtitle timing, but I don't think it would have the range to adjust for half a movie. There are tools to do that gross level of adjustment available though. Search the internet if you need one.

Note that Subtitles can be selected, and timing changed, using the OSD menu as well as the right click menu. Just arrow up on your remote or keyboard to find the functions.

Also, search the Wiki and Forum. There is plenty of information on External Subtitles.

Bottom line: If you have a split movie and need to use External Subtitles, it would probably be easier to join the split movie first.
ok got it
could you suggest a free-of-charge video file joiner please?
Stereo:

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 07:24:23 am »

ok got it
could you suggest a free-of-charge video file joiner please?

I use MKVToolNix. From a quick search, I found this guide:
https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/178888/howto-joining-multi-part-movies-files-with-mkvtoolnix-gui
The detail is generic and saves me doing a lot of work.

I'd suggest that you convert your avi parts to 1 mkv and use MC for cataloguing and playback.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 04:53:52 pm »

Wow. That is what I call a long, extended conversation! One of the things I love about forums.  :D

It seems Astromo has answered your question brilliantly. I use a paid for application, so go with Astromo's free solution. It is good.

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 02:52:15 am »

i am using toolnix and the resulting movie present blacvk video (audio usok, thoughj). I am merging two AVIs coded by mp4
Please help
Stereo:
Pages: [1]   Go Up