INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server without MC20  (Read 3832 times)

Grundgütigster

• Junior Woodchuck
Media Server without MC20
« on: June 04, 2016, 05:04:11 am »

Hi,

I'm running MC20 on a MacMini and control it with JRemote on my iPad. So the Media Server part is running too. MC20 automatically starts when I turn on the MacMini (older system). Works fine and I guess I would not need to run the MediaCenter, because I don't use the MacMini as a control center? Can I start Media Server without the MC20 software and how do I do this, also in terms of the automatic start when turing on the Mac?

Sorry if this issue was discussed somewhere else, but I couldn't find it nor was the Wiki of any help.

Thanks!
Grundgütiger

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Server without MC20
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 09:16:35 am »

The option you are looking for is:

Tools > Options > Startup > Mac Startup > run on Mac startup > (choose)

I've just done some testing with it and found that selecting Media Server works to bring up a background media server (that can be controlled with JRemote), but also starts the main interface.  I tested it twice to be sure.  The good news is, you can close Media Center and the window disappears, but the server remains running.  You can tell this because there's a little media center icon in the top status bar.  Clicking on that let's you do a few things.

I did all of this with MC21 as I don't use MC20 any more.  But I would expect the behavior to be very similar.  Test it out and see!  :)

Brian.

Grundgütigster

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Media Server without MC20
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 11:46:26 am »

Thanks Brian,

I know this tool entry but it doesn't work, meaning: There is no effect with any of the options you can chose there. To start MC together with the Mac and the OS I have (OS X 10.7), you have to select the program that you want to start together with the Mac. And that's "Media Center 20". If I don't add it to the start up items, Media Center won't open itself. I know that I can close Media Center and still have Media Server open, but would wish to have the possibility to open the Server without the Center. Meanwhile I think there's no way to do this without a little trick. The main reason for me wanting to do this is that when I want to shut down the Mac, Media Center always interrupts the shut down process. So I have to remote access the Mac and close MediaCenter manually. I learned that it has something to do with both processes running, the Center plus the Server. Otherwise I wouldn't care, as the Mac only serves the music.

I'm not an IT crack, but I think, I will try to write a little script that opens MediaCenter right after the Mac started and closes it after, maybe one minute. This gives the Mac the time to start itself properly and starts MediaCenter (which itself starts the Media Server).

The actual Mac OS X works different here, as it doesn't need start up entries any more. So it might be possible that the tool options works here.

Grundgütiger
Pages: [1]   Go Up