INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 20 tells me it crashed  (Read 3362 times)

Grundgütigster

• Junior Woodchuck
MC 20 tells me it crashed
« on: June 08, 2016, 04:08:17 pm »

Hi,

I use MC 20 on a MacMini dealing with my audio files, which works fine.

I now thought I could also use it for my video files. So I installed another copy on my Macbook Pro and showed MC where my video files are: on one of my Synology NASses. MC started filling the library with the videos but also started opening a warning window that Media Center had been closed. I could ignore that, send a report to Apple or open it up again. But Media Center wasn't closed, it still is open. Klicking the ignore butten helps for a few milli secondes, then the window pops up again. A strange thing is that in my dock I can see the icon of Media Center lying there plus another icon dancing around as if a second instance of MC tries to parallel open itself. I'm unable to do anything else in MC.  >:(

Is this something that disappears after the library has been updated or finished importing information?

Thanks.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 20 tells me it crashed
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 06:09:33 pm »

Video support in MC20 was rudimentary.  It is very much improved in MC21.  Early versions of MC21 did what you are describing.  What's happening is this:

1.  You tell MC where some video files are and it starts importing them.
2.  For each file MC sees, it opens a helper program to analyze the video.
3.  When this helper sees certain types of video, it crashes and does not analyze.  Then it produces the OS message you see.
4.  This will continue until MC is done importing all video files.

So it's probably safe to just let it run.  MC21 in later versions seems to have fixed this "helper crashing" behavior.  MC21's video support is so vastly superior that you should consider it if you are going to do any significant video viewing with MC on a Mac.

Brian.

Grundgütigster

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: MC 20 tells me it crashed
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 08:48:41 pm »

Thanks Brian,

I thought it would disappear after importing the video files, but was a bit concerned about the 2nd icon dancing around. Now I know. So I'll wait until it finished doing that. If I'm not happy with the video feature I'll consider updating.

Best,
Grundgütiger
Pages: [1]   Go Up