INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mkv files +  (Read 6783 times)

Grundgütigster

• Junior Woodchuck
mkv files +
« on: June 09, 2016, 03:25:54 am »

And another question:

Is it possible that MediaCenter, version 20.0.132, can't deal with *.mkv video files and just ignores them? Does MC 21 support Matroska formatted videos?

Edit:
How can I tell MC 20 not to ignore small video files? I do have a lot of short films, some are just one minute long, but MC doesn't think they are worth importing...

Thanks!
Grundgütiger

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: mkv files +
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 07:19:40 am »

Is it possible that MediaCenter, version 20.0.132, can't deal with *.mkv video files and just ignores them? Does MC 21 support Matroska formatted videos?

Not sure about MC20, but MC21 absolutely works with MKV files.  Most of my video library is MKV.

How can I tell MC 20 not to ignore small video files? I do have a lot of short films, some are just one minute long, but MC doesn't think they are worth importing...

MC imports any length video I give it.  I have files as short as just a few seconds.  Shorter videos tend to get imported and then marked as either "TV Show" or "Home Video".  So they won't show up in your Movies view.  To find them, go to a view that shows all Video files like Video > Files .  From there, you can edit their Media Sub Type, which will change which view they appear in.

If you still can't find them, it's possible they were imported as Media Type = Data .  This happens sometimes and I'm not sure why.  Just got to the Data view and see if they are there.  If they are, change the Media Type to Video, and the Media Sub Type to whatever is appropriate.

Finally, for situations like this, it's sometimes useful to have a view that shows absolutely everything.  I have a top level view called "Tools".  Inside Tools are various administrative and special purpose views:  Views for maintaining cover art, that kind of thing.  One of those views is "files (everything)".  This is a File based Panes view with no restriction on Media Type.  So it shows every file in MC, period. This isn't possible inside the Audio or Video group since those views will inherit properties from the parent view, and thus restrict themselves to the Audio or Video Media Type.  Well, you can turn that option off for a special view, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to do so.  Anyway, just something to think about.

Brian.

Grundgütigster

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 08:40:16 am »

Again: Thanks, Brian!

I already found some of the shorts within the TV section but wasn't clever enough to look into the Files folder. I guess they are all here - except the Matroska videos. Guess I have to update to a newer MC version then.

Best
Grundgütiger

Grundgütigster

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 09:32:49 am »

I just found out that MC 20 imported the *mkv files to the library but gave all of them the same one title of another film.  ;D

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 02:35:28 pm »

^ That's odd.  Carnac, MC's algorithm for interpreting Movie and TV show names is usually very very good.  If your MKVs have file names that contain the movie name, it should have picked them up.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up