INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z-Wave Pairing  (Read 4831 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Z-Wave Pairing
« on: May 14, 2016, 10:00:54 am »

I'm starting this as a general trouble shooting aid.  The Z-Wave terminology calls it Add Node, but since Bluetooth pairing is widely understood, I propose that we just call it pairing.

Each device needs to be paired with a controller.  The device cannot be controlled until it has been paired.

I have the most experience with the Z-Stick from Aeon Labs.  There are two that are commonly available for $35 to $45.  The white one is the latest and that's what I'm using.

Engen has the ability to add a node without removing the Z-Stick from the computer, but for this topic, I'm removing it.

The steps are:
1.  Remove the Z-Stick from the computer
2.  Walk over to the device you want to pair.
3.  Push the button on the Z-stick and begin watching the lights it is flashing.   
4.  Push the pairing button on the device (or sometimes just turn it on) and watch the lights on the Z-Stick again

If you are successful, the Z-Stick lights will change from flashing slowly to flashing quickly (several times a second) and then turn solid, and a second or two later go back to the slow flashing.  That means the pairing worked.

If it doesn't work, try again a few times.

If it still doesn't work, you may need to "initialize" or "reset" the device.  The method for this varies a lot.  An Internet search will usually work.  Amazon reviews have a lot of useful information.

Some devices seem easy to pair.  Some aren't.

The Z-Stick remains in the pairing mode until you either press the button again or you insert it into a computer.  So you can pair several devices without pushing its button again.

Please feel free to comment or correct what I've said above.  Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Z-Wave Pairing
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 10:22:57 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up