INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creative Audigy or Direct with Mackie CR 4 monitor speakers?  (Read 2965 times)

mlg250

Just starting with JRiver and am confused about settings.  Desktop computer running Win 7 prof with a 5+ year old Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme PCIE sound card.  The card gets very little power from the Asus motherboard because I've upgraded video card and installed extra SATA 3 ports for additional SSDs and I need these to take priority (Photography).

Initial installation chose Direct Sound.  But I then tried choosing the Creative Sound BlasterX-Fi Extreme and was given two more options:  X-Fi WASAPI  or X-Fi Direct Sound. These are the only choices offered.  I'm not sure what would be the best setup and every time I listen, I make a different choice :)   I think the Mackie CR4s,  although really good monitors, are making it more difficult for me to come to a definitive conclusion.

I started exploring different connections because some music (Bach Cello Sonatas) sounded a bit flat.  Jazz sounded better but some vocals also were a bit flat.

I could purchase a usb external soundcard if someone could recommend one that's not too expensive and if people here feel it would make a noticeable improvement.  I would strongly prefer not to replace the Mackie CR4s as I generally prefer uncolored sound with good clarity - both of which the Mackies provide.

Greatly appreciate thoughts and suggestions as I'm new to seeking quality pc audio.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Creative Audigy or Direct with Mackie CR 4 monitor speakers?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 08:00:30 am »

Initial installation chose Direct Sound.  But I then tried choosing the Creative Sound BlasterX-Fi Extreme and was given two more options:  X-Fi WASAPI  or X-Fi Direct Sound.

Those are two different methods of MC talking to your sound card.  WASAPI is considered to be superior in almost every way.  Sonicly, it's definitely the way to go.  Some more information from the Wiki:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

Brian.

mlg250

Re: Creative Audigy or Direct with Mackie CR 4 monitor speakers?
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 08:33:29 pm »

Thanks - I kind of came to that by listening.  But reading the Wiki link you sent, I'm going to try giving exclusive access since I don't use my sound card for anything else much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up