INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: License activation versus "restore" - please explain the difference  (Read 2921 times)

bhagerty

I do not understand your licensing terminology or practices.

Yesterday I bought a license to MC22 (Master) and installed it on one computer. I was under the impression that I could register other seats of MC22, on other computers in my house, within 14 days, and that doing so was separate from "restoring" licenses—something that you can do 10 times per year.

So I registered a second seat of MC22 today, within the 14-day window. Specifically, I went into the trial version of MC22 on a second computer in my house and entered the license key from my initial registration-confirmation email.

To my surprise, your system then emailed me to say that I had used up 1 of my 10 annual restores. That was not my intention, and it does not seem consistent with the 14-day window for registering on other computers.

Please clarify the relationship between the 14-day window and the 10 annual "restores." If you have to do something other than input a registration key to use the 14-day window, please make that clear. I just don't understand your licensing system.

Thanks! JRiver Media Center is the absolute best replacement for Windows Media Center, and I love the functionality, but I don't understand the 14-day window vs. the 10-restoration business.

bhagerty

Re: License activation versus "restore" - please explain the difference
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 11:27:35 pm »

Actually, to clarify: I licensed MC21. But for some reason your automated system (the email from buy-button) says that I licensed MC22. This is probably an error in your automated response emails.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 12:51:35 am »

Don't worry about it.  Install in your Computers and if your restores run out, post here and they will be reset

It's just the activation that is good for 14 days, but you can get a new activation as well

As for MC22 it just means when 22 is released you can upgrade automatically

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 12:52:52 am »

All licenses being sold currently are for MC22, but they also work for MC21, as MC22 hasn't been released yet. It is sort of a transition period.

The 14 day period applies to the mjr file that was included with one of the emails you received from JRiver. To install a license save the mjr file to disk, then double click on it.

When you do a Restore JRiver sends you a new mjr file, which will work for another 14 days.

I tried to activate an upgrade license once by entering my Registration Code into MC. It didn't work. In fact JRiver probably sent me a new mjr file as they did for you. Double clicking an mjr file has always worked.

Read http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Purchase_and_License_Recovery
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 04:06:49 pm »

Even though it's already been said, here are the short versions of your two questions:

1.  The license activation file, which is the MJR file, can be used to activate as many installations of MC as you like (within reason) within 14 days.  Just take that MJR file from computer to computer and use it to activate the license.  The file will time out in 14 days and become no good.  But any MC that was activated stays activated forever.

2.  MC21 is out right now, but MC22 will be out in 4 to 12 weeks.  All new licenses for MC21 work on MC21 *and* MC22.  This is why the system says you have an MC22 license.  Because you do!  It's good on both MC21 and MC22.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up