INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Confused by DSP studio  (Read 3214 times)

Hubird

• Recent member
Confused by DSP studio
« on: June 18, 2016, 04:36:18 am »

I have a NAD M51 which I use for listening to music and it also handles the audio when watching movies.

It's a 2.1 system and I'm wondering if I need to tell JRiver this in the DSP studio, the sub setting is currently set at source number on channels.

Is there any benefit to be had by changing it to 2.1, is this setting only used to ensure multi-channel audio is played correctly?

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92933.0

I read the above topic where it was suggested to set it to 2.1 but my sub is handling all low pass filtering, I don't want the sound messed with any more than necessary

Hubird

• Recent member
Re: Confused by DSP studio
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 12:19:54 am »

So no one can explain what changes the above setting makes?

It a bit disappointing that this isn't explained somewhere considering JRiver is targeted at audio enthusiasts who want to ensure everything is setup optimally

stewart_pk

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 12:52:06 am »

So no one can explain what changes the above setting makes?

I think you should set it to 2.0 seeing as though your DAC is 2.0 only.

Setting it to 2.1 in JRiver means that JRiver may filter out frequencies below the Subwoofer setting in DSP Studio and attempt to add them to a .1 channel.

I don't think you really have a 2.1 system, you have a 2.0 system because that's what your DAC is.
Your subwoofer is not a true .1 channel receiver in your setup because there's no way for your DAC to exclusively pass .1 to it.
You simply need JRiver to down mix 5.1/6.1/7.1 movie tracks to 2.0 which it will do if you set Channels to 2 channels (stereo) and Mixing to JRSS mixing (recommended).
Also set Subwoofer to JRSS Subwoofer (120Hz low pass) or thereabouts and this way yucky nasty .1 LFE above that frequency garbage on poorly mastered bluray movies such as the original Star Wars trilogy won't be a problem.

RD James

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 01:57:44 am »

2.1 is for playback on a 3 channel system.
A stereo DAC like your NAD M51 is a 2 channel device.

Hubird

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 03:10:37 am »

Thanks for the replies, all clear now.

A note in the options or some sort of advice in the options screen might be helpful to others

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 03:17:05 am »

AFAIK there is really no such thing as 2.1 -- I think the common formats are 2.0 / 3.1 / 5.1 / 7.1 -- and the reason is that PCM frames hold an even number of channels resp. and even number of sample bytes.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 03:40:03 am »

AFAIK there is really no such thing as 2.1 -- I think the common formats are 2.0 / 3.1 / 5.1 / 7.1 -- and the reason is that PCM frames hold an even number of channels resp. and even number of sample bytes.

Odd number of channels isn't impossible, 6.1 is somewhat of a thing as well, and 4.1 (ie 5.1 without the center) for some old surround setups or music setups.
Some people do have stereo with subwoofer setups which makes some sense.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

stewart_pk

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 08:25:51 pm »

Some people do have stereo with subwoofer setups which makes some sense.

And an AVR, Processor or DAC with more than 2 channels.
Pages: [1]   Go Up