INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Set up audio for movies  (Read 2843 times)

kolia

• World Citizen
Set up audio for movies
« on: June 20, 2016, 12:13:36 pm »

Hello,
I'm currently using MC21 on a Windows 10 PC with a GTX 950 card. A receiver (Emotiva XMC-1) will be connected to the GC HDMI output.
I have read the wiki and various posts on how to set up MC audio and I’m still a bit confused. I understand that MC can decode the audio part as well as the receiver obviously. I want to make sure I understand the various options here.
Option 1: say that I want MC pass the audio untouched to the receiver. Shall I set Bitstreaming to HDMI in Audio options? Does that imply that all MC DSP functions are unavailable in that mode?
Option 2: say I’d like to use all the power of the MC21 DSP. Then Bitstreaming should be set to none and MC will assume the decoding and audio processing. But how to make this processing not redundant with the receiver audio processing functions?

It seems to me that having MC driving a receiver a bit overkilling. A multichannel DAC should be enough, isn't? Beside e28 are there other brands that are known to be working well with MC?

Side questions:
- is MC21 capable of handling two subwoofers separately? (or will it be in a future release)
- is there an option to set units to meters instead of feet within the interface?
- for audio only: MC is setup to use the ASIO interface of the external DAC (audio class 2.0). How to make sure that the audio is bitstreamed to the DAC, the audio signal being untouched?
Thank you.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Set up audio for movies
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 12:25:28 pm »

1. Yes (bitstreaming) and yes (no DSP or volume control in MC)
2. Most AVR's have a "direct" or similar mode where the decoded signal passes thru.  Some even recognize the decoded signal and automatically shut off processing

- yes (multi sub).  a forum search and/or a new thread about just this is your friend here
- no there isn't a metric option
- bitstream and Asio are not necessarily connected.  You can bitstream to the DAC or use Asio out through MC and get all the DSP options like room corrections etc

I drive an AVR with MC, it's just a DAC amp combo really so why not? 

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 12:51:02 pm »

If you are going to be watching movies, you want to use the "VideoClock" option at Tools>Options>Video. So that means you can't Bitstream. Bitstreaming bypasses all of the JRiver audio processing. Also you probably want to use the DSP feature "Volume Leveling and maybe the Adaptive Volume, depending on your listening preferences.

When you bitstream you send the audio untouched to your AVR where the AVR then decodes it and turns it into PCM for playback (and the DTS-HD light, or whatever format light on your AVR turns on). If you are not Bitstreaming, the JRiver audio engine will process the audio and decode it into PCM then send it to your AVR. Your AVR will not try to decode PCM (no DTS-HD light comes on. On most AVRs the display will read something like "Multichannel PCM" or "PCM 7.1" or such). There is no redundancy.

Any room correction/bass management or similar setup that the AVR can do will still be used, or you could put the AVR in Direct Sound mode and have the room correction and sound management done in JRiver.

kolia

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 02:32:02 am »

Thanks guys for the very valuable and clear answers.

Audio bitstreaming to the DAC: my 2 channels DAC is connected using USB interface. So how to I bitstream to it? I'm well aware of the bitstreaming menu. However it does not display USB interface. Maybe be it is at some other place?

I could not find any info regarding independant processing for a multi sub system. I'll open a specific thread for that.

@dev: Would it be time to allow both units, imperial and metrics? Thank you

kolia

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 07:45:02 am »

As a matter of fact MC can be set to use metric units. It's under language menu
Pages: [1]   Go Up