INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mc2xml requires dialog to run - doesn't retain settings  (Read 9114 times)

thane108

• World Citizen
mc2xml requires dialog to run - doesn't retain settings
« on: June 22, 2016, 10:59:30 am »

I just did a clean install of windows 10 and jriver and decided to use the mc2xml OTA for EPG - O was using schedule direct.

I don't have any problems setting up the tuner/epg - it all loads the first time as expected, after asking me a couple of questions - I selected BendAntenna (I live in Bend) and matched my channels manually.  Auto-match didn't work.

However, my scheduled updates of epg don't seem to be working.  (To test, I cleared the guide and scheduled an update - nothing showed up in the guide.)  I'm assuming it is because when I update manually I keep getting the same dialogue boxes - the guide updates only after I walk through the options.  It looks as if it is not retaining the configuration/dialogue.

Can anyone point me to a solution?  I was thinking it might be a rights issue (with the configuration from the dialogue box not writing as it should).  If so, what directory do I need to address.

Or, more likely, I'm just not seeing something in the setup.  If so, please point me to the likely mistakes.

Thanks!
Perseverance wins out in the end!

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: mc2xml requires dialog to run - doesn't retain settings
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 11:14:49 am »

I replied to your PM, but let's keep the problem/fix here so others can help solve it (and learn from this).

So first make sure the file/folder where the mc2xml.dat file is located in not set to read-only (a permissions issue). Also if you have any anti-virus/security programs running, shut them off to be sure they are not blocking you.
Once the mc2xml program is run within MC, it saves your settings in the file "mc2xml.dat". Does this file exist? (in the Users/YourName/AppData/Roaming/J River/Media Center 21/Plugins/TV (I don't remember the full path once I get past  "...Media Canter 21/..."  as I'm typing now from memory).

You can also run the mc2xml.exe file as a "stand alone" program. You download the mc2xml.exe fiel from here http://mc2xml.awardspace.info/ create a new folder such as "C:/mc2xml", then copy the mc2xml.exe into that folder and run it. That will create a new mc2xml.dat file (the one with your settigns) and then a file "xmltv.xml" which has the EPG data. If you want to try this I can you walk you through it.

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 02:03:57 pm »

Thanks for helping!

That said, I'm still banging my head against the wall.

I disabled firewall and virus and tried - I still have to go through the dialogue. So I'm thinking it isn't firewall/virus.  (I'm using Windows defender and firewall.)

I looked at rights for the JRiver folder that has the mc2xml.dat file and they looked good - full rights for my user, admin, and system.  I then deleted the dat file and went through setup in JRiver.  It did create the dat file again, so it looks like it is writing to that directory.

It looks like mc2xml.exe is having trouble reading that file for some reason?

I tried to setup mc2xml  as a stand alone in its own folder.  The version I downloaded (1.6) has "microsoft" greyed out - it is the only option that is greyed out.  I don't see another version of mc2xml to download, and I can find a copy of mc2xml in the JRiver directories to copy over.  I'm thinking is is a special versin of mc2xm that works withe microsoft source.  Right?  Is it there were a different name?  If so, which directory?

So I'm stumped either direction - within JRiver or as a stand alone.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 02:07:37 pm »

Typo in my last post - I intended to say "I can't find a copy of mc2xml in the JRiver directories."  And asked for pointer as the copy I downloaded has the Microsoft option grayed out.  (With the hope that the JRiver version is special and has the Microsoft option.)

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 02:43:14 pm »

The internal mc2xml does not have a mc2xml.exe or xmltv.xml file that can be accessed by the end user. You have to use the "externally run" version of mc2xml for access to all the files. I'm still not sure why the built in MC2XML program is not working.

I just reinstalled the external mc2xml.exe (ver 1.6) program to see if it is the same and it looks like some things have changed. I see that "Microsoft" is greyed out as you mentioned. I guess something has changed. The only free EPG data source now appears to be "Microsoft Legacy" now. Did you try this source?

I just downloaded the "Microsoft Legacy" TV guide data for my area (with OTA tuner) and I did get a download, but I have not compared it to my previous data to see if it is any good.

Now, I'm running the MC TV setup again, this time I'll use the "internal" mc2xml program and see if that works for me. I'll report back once I'm done with the setup.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 02:58:09 pm »

Just to point out a couple of things in case you missed them:

On Schedule Guide Reloading window, make sure "Automatically load the program guide every day in the background" is checked.  And the particular loading mode in the list is selected, by checking the checkbox in front.

As to mc2xml.exe versions, you need a "donorware" version (i.e. you have to give the developer of mc2xml some money) in order for you to use "Microsoft" option.  The free version has it grayed out.  The version used within MC is not accessible to users, per our agreement with the developer.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 03:03:59 pm »

Wow - thanks for all the help.  I owe you big time.

I did try the Microsoft legacy on the external mc2xml - but it didn't work for me.  No data.

I then went ahead and used the external mc2xml with schedules direct and it worked fine - I only tested running it manually.  I have a scheduled update to test (using JRiver to schedule).

CountryBumkin

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 03:08:17 pm »

I loaded the internal MC mc2xml version and it does seem to have a problem saving the dat file info. Perhaps a Win10 update caused the problem. I tried re-running the "...Load Program Guide..." with "run selected profiles now" box checked and each time I ran it the mc2xml setup dialog box came up. So I'm seeing the same problem as OP.

Also when the setup box is on the screen the "Please wait" box is on top of the setup window, and it will stay there until you click on the "okay button". It sort of fools you into thinking you are waiting for something to happen automatically. That "Please wait" box doesn't do anything but block your view (if nothing else, it should be behind the setup window).

CountryBumkin

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 03:10:05 pm »

Wow - thanks for all the help.  I owe you big time.

I did try the Microsoft legacy on the external mc2xml - but it didn't work for me.  No data.

I then went ahead and used the external mc2xml with schedules direct and it worked fine - I only tested running it manually.  I have a scheduled update to test (using JRiver to schedule).

I guess you have an "account" with Schedules Direct.  I feel that Schedules Direct is worth the money. The Schedules Direct JSON is better data than the Schedules Direct (base).
P.S. If you subscribe to SD don't mention that you plan to use it with MC (because your not supposed to) you should be subscribing to PercData for use with MC.

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 03:32:31 pm »

I was just using Schedules Direct to test to see if I could get something to work - to rule out other issues.  I have a couple of months left on my subscription.

I'm doing my best to move to JRiver's solution!

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 03:40:02 pm »

So: 

"I loaded the internal MC mc2xml version and it does seem to have a problem saving the dat file info. Perhaps a Win10 update caused the problem. I tried re-running the "...Load Program Guide..." with "run selected profiles now" box checked and each time I ran it the mc2xml setup dialog box came up. So I'm seeing the same problem as OP."

Do I read you correctly to mean that you have the same issue, that it's not my end?  Something JRiver will need to address?

Or should we still be looking for a solution within Windows 10?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 05:20:19 pm »

Yes, I was getting the same problem as you reported. The settings don't seem to get saved in MC.

I haven't looked into any further - since it not a problem for me (I use Schedules Direct) and you said you had your system working too (at least until your SD subscription runs out).

I suppose we wait for someone else to test and confirm whether or not this is a problem.

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 05:51:01 pm »

OK - I guess "much ado about things I have no control over whatsover" - or whatever the Bard said.

Thanks lots for getting me off the tilting a windmills bandwagon.

Here's hoping the powers that be read this and take some action.

I'll work on my backup approach - still don't know if the scheduling part works.

Ark :D

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 12:23:15 pm »

Just for the record, this is the same problem I was having when I made this post:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=105369.0

I'm also using Windows 10, and at that point, I was (trying to) use the MC2XML version that's embedded in JMC21.  I haven't seen the problem again since converting over to the self-installed MC2XML 1.6.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 09:59:48 am »

I did some testing.

Initially I thought I was able to reproduce the problem, but it turned out to be false alarm.  Yesterday I cleared my programs shortly after I ran an update in GUI mode.  Then I schedule my automatic update at a time shortly after that.  Automatic update failed, but only because mc2xml detected that it was run shortly before, so it simply returned without further action ("no new data available").

So I waited until today.  Cleared EPG programs again.  Scheduled an update at 9:00 am.  Update worked.  This was done on two machines, a Windows 10 and a Windows 7.

For those of you who are doing some testing, do not expect automatic update to succeed shortly after you run a manual update.  If you run repeated manual updates, each time it will end up succeeding, but each time you will be asked to enter your location and provider info.

Run a manual update.  Make sure automatic update is turned on, and the automatic update time is set properly.  Then you can check to see if update succeeds the next day.  If it does not, then we need to investigate further.

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 11:00:12 am »

Thank, C.B. - that's great news!

I'll give it a shot.  Kinda hate to go there, I got the external download working - but I'll trust and take a leap of faith.

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 11:39:01 am »

Sorry - I should be thanking Yaobing!

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 11:30:04 am »

Argh!!

This morning only one of my computers updated correctly!  The Windows 10 was OK.  The Windows 7 kept getting time-out running mc2xml.  No idea what is going on.

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2016, 02:29:08 pm »

My Windows 10 looks like it updated correctly!

Sorry for the false-alarm on my part.

Feeling sheepish.

Catello Vitiello

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2016, 11:00:33 am »

Any news or other topic?
I am experiencing the same issue!

CountryBumkin

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2016, 07:20:17 am »

Any news or other topic?
I am experiencing the same issue!

You should start a new thread on your problem since this thread is very old now. MC has made a lot of improvements in TV area since this thread was started 6 months ago.
Be sure you are running the latest version of MC (at top of this forum).

Are you in USA?
Are you using the "built-in" mc2xml program or running an external program and importing the data?
Pages: [1]   Go Up