INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick Start Guide for Installing JRiver Mediacenter 22 ARM on a Raspberry Pi  (Read 28068 times)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

This guide to performing a fresh install of JRiver's ARM build for the Raspberry Pi version 1 B+, Raspberry Pi version 2, or Raspberry Pi version 3.  If you're looking to upgrade an older installation, see this thread for instructions: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=105984.0

Mediacenter works best on a Pi 2 or 3, but will work on the Pi 1 B+ (especially if you overclock), but the experience is limited. The steps to get MC running on the Pi are somewhat similar to getting it running on a normal linux system, with a few tweaks.

Setup

Hardware/OS setup:

Install Raspbian onto an SD card using the downloaded NOOBS image from the Raspberry Pi website. They have good instructions for install there.

Configuring Hardware:

At first boot the Pi may show a config utility (called raspi-config), if it doesn't show, it is now available through the launcher menu at the top left of the desktop. For easy use of mediacenter, I recommend a) making sure that the Pi is set to boot into a graphical desktop environment by default, b) choosing the audio output you want by default (HDMI or the Pi's built in audio output*), and c) thinking about whether you want to choose one of the overclock* options in the advanced options. Once you've picked your settings, reboot.

Notes:

Audio: the Pi's HDMI output works great, but the built in stereo jack is not the highest quality output in the world. I wouldn't recommend using it for actual listening. If you have a USB DAC, just ignore that for now, this option is only about the behavior of the Pi's built in audio outputs.

Overclocking: Overclocking can potentially shorten the life of your Pi or cause instability. However, because the Pi now comes with built in thermal throttling, you can overclock using the raspberry pi utility as described above without voiding your warranty. Overclocking makes a huge difference in performance for the Pi 1; I did not find the Pi 1 usable at stock settings, YMMV. Overclocking is less important for the Pi 2, but it definitely improves performance. AFAIK, the Pi 3 does not support out of the box overclocking.  I have not personally encountered overclocking related instability with about four different Pis, but that doesn't mean you won't. If you decide to wait to overclock you can get back to the built in configuration utility any time by running the raspi-config utility from the menu in the upper right hand corner.

Software Preparation:

After rebooting, you should be looking at the Pi's desktop. If your Pi isn't plugged into to an ethernet line, take a minute to configure your wi-fi adapter to get internet access. Once that's done, open a terminal by clicking on the icon that looks like a computer monitor. Enter the following into the terminal:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

After you enter the line, you'll be prompted whether to install updates to packages; press "y" to confirm. It may take a little while for the packages to download and install. Now enter the following into the terminal

cd /boot
sudo nano config.txt

This will show you the file config.txt in the text editor nano. You'll see a lot of information in the config file already, scroll down to the bottom of the file using the direction keys on your keyboard and enter the following two lines exactly as shown:

framebuffer_depth=32
framebuffer_ignore_alpha=1

Then save the file by pressing Ctrl+O, then enter. Then press Ctrl+X to exit, and you should be back at the terminal. Now close the terminal and reboot the pi.

Installing MC:

After the reboot, it's time to install MC:

wget -q "http://dist.jriver.com/mediacenter@jriver.com.gpg.key" -O- | sudo apt-key add -
sudo wget http://dist.jriver.com/latest/mediacenter/mediacenter22native.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mediacenter22.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mediacenter22

After installation completes, you should see MC in the application menu in the upper left hand corner under "sound and video." Open MC, and you're off! 

Installing a License:

JRiver offers a 30-day trial, but to keep using the software you'll need to buy and register it. Currently a JRiver for Linux license or Master license will work. There are several ways to install a JRiver License, but the easiest way is to do it on the command line. 

When you purchase JRiver, you receive an E-mail with an .mjr file. Download that file to your Raspberry Pi's Downloads directory (the one created above). Then open a terminal by clicking on the icon that looks like a computer and enter the following command:

mediacenter22 /RestoreFromFile ~/Downloads/"Media Center22 Linux-YYYYYY.mjr"

Replace the Y's with the numbers from your .mjr file, but otherwise enter the command exactly as shown. 

NOTE for advanced users: This will not work correctly if you try to do it via ssh, because Mediacenter needs a display/xserver in order to run.  If you have used the headless/VNC setup instructions below, try connecting to the pi using VNC and using lxterminal to register your license.

Audio Setup:

If you're using the Pi's built in audio output (HDMI or stereo), it should just work provided you did the steps above. If you have a USB DAC, you'll need to configure MC to address it just like in normal MC for Linux. That means looking under options --> Audio Devices and looking for a hardware device (an entry for your DAC that has something like "front:" or "surround:" in the name). 

Updating:

To update mediacenter (and the rest of your Pi OS) just enter the following line on the terminal:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Troubleshooting Audio

If you followed the steps above and are not getting audio output via HDMI, try the following:

Alsamixer:
In the terminal "alsamixer" and you will see a volume bar (a "graphical" mixer displayed using ASCII characters).  Check whether the volume is muted by looking at the bottom of the column: if you see "MM" press the "m" key to unmute and then press escape to exit.  If you see "00" then the output isn't muted and that's not the problem (press escape to exit)

Monitor/DVI issues:
Many monitors expect/request a DVI input, which results in the Pi not sending sound to those monitors by default.  To find out if that's what's causing your problem, open a terminal, and type

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

and then find the line that reads

#hdmi_drive=2

Remove the "#" symbol, and leave the rest of the line intact.  If your file doesn't have that line for some reason, you can just add the line at the end of the file.  In either case, save the file by pressing CTRL+O, and exit nano by pressing CTRL+X. Then reboot the Pi and test whether you can get sound over HDMI. Changing that option in config.txt has resolved no-audio issues for several folks with screens that have those issues with HDMI support.

Pops and Dropouts:

Pops or dropouts can be caused by a lot of different things and can be tough to troubleshoot.  Some users have found that adjusting CPU frequency scaling can help on RPi 2's (RPI 1's won't benefit from this tweak).  The following link explains how to set your RPi 2 to stay at maximum CPU frequency (using the performance CPU governor: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=95578.msg676554#msg676554

Some notes on getting the most out of MC on the Pi:

The Pi is not a full-featured computer so things will take longer to do on the Pi than on a normal computer. Be patient especially during startup or right after. It might take ten or even thirty seconds for mediacenter to start after you click the icon (depending on whether you have a pi 1 or pi2 and your other settings). Video is not currently supported and the maximize and minimize buttons do not work (at least for me). Other than those two issues, everything I've tested works pretty well. 

An Important Note Concerning Power:

Pi's are very sensitive to not having enough power; if you plug in too many power hungry USB peripherals it can cause the Pi to reboot or turn off (and corrupt the sd card!). The safest way to resolve this is to use a good powered USB hub and plug the peripherals into that. The best part is that the Hub can also power the Pi itself, so you still only have one wall plug! Some USB hubs won't work very well due to back-power issues, but a recommended list of hubs is available here: http://elinux.org/RPi_Powered_USB_Hubs.  To be clear, if you're just plugging in a usb keyboard/mouse and a wi-fi adapter you should be fine with the normal power supply; it's things like external hard drives and USB DACs that need more juice.

Additionally, if you don't want to use a USB hub, you may be able to power more peripherals by adding the following line to your config.txt:

max_usb_current=1

That line allows the Pi's USB ports to supply more current to peripherals, which has allowed several forum members to use an external Hard Drive without using a USB hub.  [Thanks to Hilton for finding and testing that option.]

Pi's are also sensitive to sudden loss of power: cutting off the power on a pi without shutting down properly can and will corrupt your sd card. For that reason it's important to always shut down your pi appropriately. However accidental power outages do occur, so, as a best practice, consider backing up your sd card with a disk imaging utility once you've gotten everything working the way you want. Another more advanced approach is to hook up a rechargeable battery in between the power supply and the Pi to act as a buffer in case of sudden power loss, and configure the Pi to shut down gracefully when mains power goes out, but that's a more advanced topic.

Status of Features
What I've tested that works for me:

1) Local audio playback of FLACs and MP3s (Pi 1, 2, and 3)
2) Using the Pi as a library client (Pi 1, 2, and 3)
3) Using the Pi as a DLNA renderer (Pi 1, 2, and 3)
4) Controlling the Pi with gizmo or eos (Pi 1, 2, and 3)
5) Streaming to gizmo from the Pi (works on Pi 2 and 3, not on the Pi 1)
6) Normal window resizing
7) ALSA-compatible USB DACs
8 ) Using an external hard drive with the Pi (some additional configuration required for some drives)
9) A user has reported that DSD works on the pi (as of 2017)

What I have not tested:

1) Airplay, etc. (I have no macs or i-devices to test with)

What is not working/supported:

1) Video Playback

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

Running Without a Monitor: If you would like to run the Pi without a monitor attached, that's a slightly more advanced topic.  MC needs some kind of "display" in order to run.  When a monitor is not attached, the pi will not necessarily start it's display, which will prevent MC from running. The following steps outline a very basic method of creating a virtual display and allowing for remote control of Mediacenter on the pi. NOTE: If you're using a different username than "pi", you should replace all instances of "pi" in the code below with your username. 

Enter the following onto the end of your /boot/config.txt file (as described above)
framebuffer_width=1920
framebuffer_height=1080
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=82
hdmi_drive=2

Then enter the following commands replacing your_password with a password you will remember
sudo apt-get install x11vnc
mkdir /home/pi/.vnc
x11vnc -storepasswd your_password /home/pi/.vnc/passwd

Now enter the following line:
x11vnc -rfbauth ~/.vnc/passwd -display :0 -geometry 1920x1080 -auth guess -forever -bg

You should now have a remote VNC server running on your pi. Test it out by trying to log in from another computer using a VNC client.  For example, tigervnc is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux: https://bintray.com/tigervnc/stable/tigervnc/1.4.3

When you start TigerVNC it will ask you for the VNC server details.  Enter the ip address* of your pi. It will look something like
192.168.1.35 Once you enter the address, click connect, and it will prompt you for your password. 

*If you don't know the ip address of your pi, enter "sudo ifconfig" in a terminal on your pi, and it will tell you. You're looking for a 4-part number separated by periods next to the phrase "inet addr." You want the one in the paragraph labelled eth0 if your pi has a wired connection or wlan0 if your pi has a wireless connection.

You should now be looking at a virtual desktop on your pi, from which you can run MC!

We're not done yet, though, as we still need to configure the pi to start the vncserver and MC on boot. The easiest way to do this is with a cron script. Type "sudo nano ~/headless" into the terminal and type the following
#!/bin/bash
export USER=pi
export DISPLAY=:0
x11vnc -rfbauth ~/.vnc/passwd -display :0 -geometry 1920x1080 -auth guess -forever -bg
mediacenter22 /mediaserver
Once you're done, press CTRL-X, and choose "y" and press "enter" twice.  Now type
sudo chmod 755 ~/headless
crontab -e

After you enter the second command, you may be prompted you to choose an editor; if so choose /bin/nano, which should be option 1.  Now you should now be looking at a file with some information in it. 

If you want mediacenter to launch on boot type the following line at the bottom of the file:
@reboot     /home/pi/headless > /dev/null
Once you've added the one you want, press CTRL-X and then "y" and "enter" twice.  Now reboot your pi as described above, and within a few minutes you should be able to access MC and your VNC desktop. 

kuanj

• World Citizen

The use of the:-

"Quick Start Guide for Installing JRiver Mediacenter 22 ARM on a Raspberry Pi, was successful"
However, unable to register the MediaCentre22 either using the Terminal window or the Install license (use keys).

From the terminal;
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ mediacenter22 /RestoreFromFile ~/Downloads/"Media Center22 Linux-351351.mjr"
CRegistrationHelper::RestoreFromFile: license file /home/pi/Downloads/Media Center22 Linux-351351.mjr not found.
Could not restore license from file /home/pi/Downloads/Media Center22 Linux-351351.

From the Install licence:

Cannot communicate with the server.

Help please

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

The use of the:-

"Quick Start Guide for Installing JRiver Mediacenter 22 ARM on a Raspberry Pi, was successful"
However, unable to register the MediaCentre22 either using the Terminal window or the Install license (use keys).

From the terminal;
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ mediacenter22 /RestoreFromFile ~/Downloads/"Media Center22 Linux-351351.mjr"
CRegistrationHelper::RestoreFromFile: license file /home/pi/Downloads/Media Center22 Linux-351351.mjr not found.
Could not restore license from file /home/pi/Downloads/Media Center22 Linux-351351.

This error suggests that the registration file is either not where you told the program to look, or is called something else.  Are you sure you saved the license file in that directory?  Did you check for typos?

kuanj

• World Citizen

The registration email I received from JR is copied from my Outlook (win 10 machine) in a thumb drive and physically transferred to the Raspberry Pi in the download folder. I had tried to follow the registration file name but it gives me the same error.

In the raspberry pi, I double click the registration file and open by text, it comes out only a few funny characters.

Whats next. Thank you

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

The registration email I received from JR is copied from my Outlook (win 10 machine) in a thumb drive and physically transferred to the Raspberry Pi in the download folder. I had tried to follow the registration file name but it gives me the same error.

In the raspberry pi, I double click the registration file and open by text, it comes out only a few funny characters.

Whats next. Thank you

You need to give the command line the path to the location of the file.  Try copying it off of the thumbdrive into your home directory on the raspberry pi, and then run the command with the actual path to the file. 

I'm having a little trouble understanding what you've done, it might help if you could say with certainty where the registration file is on your pi.

kuanj

• World Citizen

Attached is a snapshot. Hope it helps

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

Attached is a snapshot. Hope it helps

You need to save the .mjr file that was attached to the e-mail, not the e-mail itself.

kuanj

• World Citizen

Thanks for yr help. My mistake was I did not use the .mjr file.

Since I have double click a few times my 20 restores were reduced to 17. Infact I should not
have to use any. Any chance of restoring to back to 20. Thanks

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

I'm not a dev, just a user so I can't do anything about that; you should open a thread for visibility.

kuanj

• World Citizen

Noted with thanks.
"you should open a thread for visibility"   What do you u mean?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

Noted with thanks.
"you should open a thread for visibility"   What do you u mean?

This is a thread for installing JRiver on the Pi, and it's long; it's not a place the devs would expect to find a license service question.  The devs may not see posts at the bottom of it.  You should start a new topic with your specific service question, so that the devs are more likely to see it.

kuanj

• World Citizen

Thanks my friend

Andi_Hamburg

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi, I have since some questions about:
What is the difference between the ID Pi and MC22 (for Linux)?
But I can also install MC22 on the Raspberry.
What are the advantages with the ID Pi?
Supports the ID Pi also Hifiberry DAC board?
Best
Andi

jmone

• Administrator

Mmmm I'm going around in circles trying to upgrade an Existing MC22 Install on an AxiomAir Pi.  I get the following:
volumio@cabana-axiom:~$ sudo apt-get install mediacenter22
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libpam-systemd : Depends: systemd (= 215-17+deb8u5) but 215-17+deb8u4 is to be installed
 systemd : Depends: libsystemd0 (= 215-17+deb8u4) but 215-17+deb8u5 is to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

volumio@cabana-axiom:~$ sudo apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  systemd systemd-sysv
Suggested packages:
  systemd-ui
The following packages will be upgraded:
  systemd systemd-sysv
2 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 51 not upgraded.
15 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/2247 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1024 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
debconf: delaying package configuration, since apt-utils is not installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libkdc2-heimdal:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libgssapi3-heimdal:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libheimntlm0-heimdal:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
(Reading database ... 27105 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../systemd_215-17+deb8u5_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking systemd (215-17+deb8u5) over (215-17+deb8u4) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/systemd_215-17+deb8u5_armhf.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.systemd1.service', which is also in package systemd-shim 9-1
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
addgroup: The group `systemd-journal' already exists as a system group. Exiting.
Processing triggers for dbus (1.8.20-0+deb8u1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.0.2-5) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/systemd_215-17+deb8u5_armhf.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
I'm not a python at JRiver - just another Aussie

jmone

• Administrator

Doing a  "wget http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v22/latest/MediaCenter-22.0.36-armhf.deb" then "sudo dpkg -i MediaCenter-22.0.36-armhf.deb" works however....

bob

• Administrator

Doing a  "wget http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v22/latest/MediaCenter-22.0.36-armhf.deb" then "sudo dpkg -i MediaCenter-22.0.36-armhf.deb" works however....
That should work fine.

Your error sounds like you have a mixed up installation (like packages from an old distro).
MC doesn't care about or specify systemd.

Which MC repo are you using?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

That should work fine.

Your error sounds like you have a mixed up installation (like packages from an old distro).
MC doesn't care about or specify systemd.

Which MC repo are you using?

Bob is right, the error message is unrelated to JRiver, the issue is that apt often won't let you perform package operations when your dependencies are messed up, even for packages that are unrelated to avoid making the issue worse.  That's the reason dpkg works because dpkg just does what you tell it to do and doesn't do any broader error checking.  If I had to guess you tried to upgrade in place from an older debian version or switched to testing and have broken dependencies. 

An easy way to test is to try and apt-get install any other package; you're likely to see the same error.

jmone

• Administrator

Yes, I can confirm that it is not just MC.... I also get that error for any package I'm trying to install on my "Clean" Axiom Air as well. 

On both Units, I did an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade first before trying to do the upgrade / install MC.... I was under the impression this was the "right thing" to do occasionally (and a whole bunch of stuff was updated).  Now I've got this cyclical dependency error and can not install anything using apt-get install.  Lucky for me I also can re-image them if needed (which will have to wait for the weekend till I'm back).

bob

• Administrator

Yes, I can confirm that it is not just MC.... I also get that error for any package I'm trying to install on my "Clean" Axiom Air as well. 

On both Units, I did an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade first before trying to do the upgrade / install MC.... I was under the impression this was the "right thing" to do occasionally (and a whole bunch of stuff was updated).  Now I've got this cyclical dependency error and can not install anything using apt-get install.  Lucky for me I also can re-image them if needed (which will have to wait for the weekend till I'm back).
You can try a
sudo apt-get -f install
and see what it will try to do to clean up the dependencies.
It likely ask to remove some stuff...

jmone

• Administrator

Thanks - I've tried that (see the console info above), no luck!

bob

• Administrator

Thanks - I've tried that (see the console info above), no luck!
Got it.
It's apparently confused about the init system you are using, sysv or systemd.
Which are you trying to use?

weust

I followed the guide here on setting it all up, including VNC.
But for some reason the cronjob isn't run at all. Can't VNC in, and MC isn't started either.

Only thing I can find using "grep CRON /var/log/syslog" is:
INFO (profile fd = 3)
INFO (Running @reboot jobs)
(pi) CMD (/home/pi/headless > /dev/null)
(CRON) info (no MTA installed, discarding output)

which I think means it ran the script?

What am I missing here?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

I followed the guide here on setting it all up, including VNC.
But for some reason the cronjob isn't run at all. Can't VNC in, and MC isn't started either.

Only thing I can find using "grep CRON /var/log/syslog" is:
which I think means it ran the script?

What am I missing here?

Try redirecting the output of the cronjob to a file rather than /dev/null to see what's failing.  Did you make sure the script /home/pi/headless 1) exists 2) is executable and 3) has the correct contents?

What happens if you manually run the headless script at the command line?

Werner

• Junior Woodchuck

I would like to use JRiver on my Raspberry without a monitor an manage it remotely from my Mac. This worked before. Now I had to reinstall my Raspberry. I see a new tutorial for using JRiver withour a monitor. This doen’t work at all. When I arrive at the point after instalaltion of x11rdp where I have to sart the vnc server it seems to atst, but  I cab’t connect to it. MS Remote Desktop just says »Error connecting«. So that’s all. Is there a possibility to fix this? I worked 3 times through the turotial every time with the same resul: it doesn’t work. (I must say, I ador these Linux tutorials: »write this, make this, now it wiork«, what means implicitly: »if not – that’s it.«

EDIT: Last news. The x11rdp starts now (don’t ask me why) and I can access the Raspberry remotely as before. But MC22 doesn’t start at boot. I can star it only remotely via Remote desktop, on the GUI. There seems to be no possibility to start it via crontab as before. Is this a new feature? And is is possible to go back to the former behaviour?

I guess the problem is that »x11vnc -rfbauth ~/.vnc/passwd -display :0 -geometry 1920x1080 -auth guess -forever -bg« does’nt start the x11 server, MC needs. I geht a mail like this, whenever I try:

01/03/2017 16:17:38 passing arg to libvncserver: -rfbauth
01/03/2017 16:17:38 passing arg to libvncserver: /home/pi/.vnc/passwd
01/03/2017 16:17:38 x11vnc version: 0.9.13 lastmod: 2011-08-10  pid: 492
01/03/2017 16:17:38 -auth guess: failed for display=':0'
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyMediaCenter: Unable to open the X display device :0

Don’t know what it means, but I know: MC22 doesn’t start.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

Try and simplify what you're doing.  Skip the RDP business for a minute and just try and get basic VNC working.  Is your pi set to boot to the graphical desktop?  What happens if you boot your pi plugged into a monitor.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen

Hello,
I did the upgrade from MC21 to MC22 and it works fine, however I have two small problems:

1. MC won't start automatically on reboot, I tried editing my nano ~/headless - but no cigar.
2. When I start it manually, MC22 keeps forgetting my local library server and I have to insert the access key manually again...?

Your advice is appreciated, thank you!

BryanC

• MC Beta Team

Hello,
I did the upgrade from MC21 to MC22 and it works fine, however I have two small problems:

1. MC won't start automatically on reboot, I tried editing my nano ~/headless - but no cigar.
2. When I start it manually, MC22 keeps forgetting my local library server and I have to insert the access key manually again...?

Your advice is appreciated, thank you!

Could you paste your ~/headless file here using code tags? Have you altered the permissions of your home directory or ~/.jriver? What happens if you run ~/headless manually?

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen

Sure,
Here's the code:

#!/bin/bash
export USER=pi
ps -e | grep tightvnc || vncserver :1 -geometry 1920x1080
export DISPLAY=':1'
ps -e | grep mediacenter || mediacenter22 /mediaserver

I didin't change any premisisons, tried to follow the instrcution to a new install of MC22.
i have no idea how to run /headless manually - a Noob ;)

BryanC

• MC Beta Team

Sure,
Here's the code:

#!/bin/bash
export USER=pi
ps -e | grep tightvnc || vncserver :1 -geometry 1920x1080
export DISPLAY=':1'
ps -e | grep mediacenter || mediacenter22 /mediaserver

I didin't change any premisisons, tried to follow the instrcution to a new install of MC22.
i have no idea how to run /headless manually - a Noob ;)

Just run ~/headless from the terminal and see what output it gives you. Based on this combination of errors you are running into, it's possible that you accidentally nerfed your home directory permissions. Can you run
ls -al ~/.jriver and paste the output (in addition to the output of ~/headless)?

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen

Thank you mate:

Error: A VNC or X Server is already running as :1 [DisplayInUse]
 1627 ?        09:46:07 mediacenter22

And:

total 20
drwxr-xr-x  5 pi pi 4096 May  3 11:08 .
drwxr-xr-x 22 pi pi 4096 May  6 20:52 ..
drwxr-xr-x  2 pi pi 4096 May  3 11:09 Lock
drwxr-xr-x 14 pi pi 4096 May  3 07:57 Media Center 21
drwxr-xr-x 14 pi pi 4096 May  6 20:53 Media Center 22

I hope this helps? Thank you!

BryanC

• MC Beta Team

Thank you mate:

1627 ?        09:46:07 mediacenter22

And:

total 20
drwxr-xr-x  5 pi pi 4096 May  3 11:08 .
drwxr-xr-x 22 pi pi 4096 May  6 20:52 ..
drwxr-xr-x  2 pi pi 4096 May  3 11:09 Lock
drwxr-xr-x 14 pi pi 4096 May  3 07:57 Media Center 21
drwxr-xr-x 14 pi pi 4096 May  6 20:53 Media Center 22

I hope this helps? Thank you!

1. Your permissions look fine.

2. It looks like MC is already running so either you had already started MC manually or your startup script is working as intended. You are aware that the "/mediaserver" switch in your config doesn't load the MC GUI, just the library server components? If you want the graphical interface to run on startup via VNC then you will need to remove that switch.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen

Thanks mate,
you are right I was ran the command while the music was playing ;)

Here are the results again after a restart, MC22 didn't start automatically - and I removed the /mediaserver:

/home/pi/headless: line 5:  1652 Segmentation fault      mediacenter22

I hope this helps, any advice would be great, thank you!

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen

^^^ can anyone help?

These two problems  - MC not starting up automatically and having to load the remote library manually every time are really annoying...

Thank you!

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

After the machine has started, please post the output of the "env" command in the terminal, preferably from a terminal running in the GUI (not an ssh terminal).

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen

Thank you!

this is what I get:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ env
XDG_VTNR=7
INFINALITY_FT_AUTOHINT_HORIZONTAL_STEM_DARKEN_STRENGTH=10
SSH_AGENT_PID=954
XDG_SESSION_ID=c2
SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gtk
XDG_GREETER_DATA_DIR=/var/lib/lightdm/data/pi
TERM=xterm
INFINALITY_FT_AUTOHINT_VERTICAL_STEM_DARKEN_STRENGTH=25
SHELL=/bin/bash
XDG_MENU_PREFIX=lxde-pi-
INFINALITY_FT_BOLD_EMBOLDEN_X_VALUE=0
INFINALITY_FT_CONTRAST=0
USER=pi
INFINALITY_FT_GRAYSCALE_FILTER_STRENGTH=0
LS_COLORS=rs=0:di=01;34:ln=01;36:mh=00:pi=40;33:so=01;35:do=01;35:bd=40;33;01:cd=40;33;01:or=40;31;01:su=37;41:sg=30;43:ca=30;41:tw=30;42:ow=34;42:st=37;44:ex=01;32:*.tar=01;31:*.tgz=01;31:*.arc=01;31:*.arj=01;31:*.taz=01;31:*.lha=01;31:*.lz4=01;31:*.lzh=01;31:*.lzma=01;31:*.tlz=01;31:*.txz=01;31:*.tzo=01;31:*.t7z=01;31:*.zip=01;31:*.z=01;31:*.Z=01;31:*.dz=01;31:*.gz=01;31:*.lrz=01;31:*.lz=01;31:*.lzo=01;31:*.xz=01;31:*.bz2=01;31:*.bz=01;31:*.tbz=01;31:*.tbz2=01;31:*.tz=01;31:*.deb=01;31:*.rpm=01;31:*.jar=01;31:*.war=01;31:*.ear=01;31:*.sar=01;31:*.rar=01;31:*.alz=01;31:*.ace=01;31:*.zoo=01;31:*.cpio=01;31:*.7z=01;31:*.rz=01;31:*.cab=01;31:*.jpg=01;35:*.jpeg=01;35:*.gif=01;35:*.bmp=01;35:*.pbm=01;35:*.pgm=01;35:*.ppm=01;35:*.tga=01;35:*.xbm=01;35:*.xpm=01;35:*.tif=01;35:*.tiff=01;35:*.png=01;35:*.svg=01;35:*.svgz=01;35:*.mng=01;35:*.pcx=01;35:*.mov=01;35:*.mpg=01;35:*.mpeg=01;35:*.m2v=01;35:*.mkv=01;35:*.webm=01;35:*.ogm=01;35:*.mp4=01;35:*.m4v=01;35:*.mp4v=01;35:*.vob=01;35:*.qt=01;35:*.nuv=01;35:*.wmv=01;35:*.asf=01;35:*.rm=01;35:*.rmvb=01;35:*.flc=01;35:*.avi=01;35:*.fli=01;35:*.flv=01;35:*.gl=01;35:*.dl=01;35:*.xcf=01;35:*.xwd=01;35:*.yuv=01;35:*.cgm=01;35:*.emf=01;35:*.axv=01;35:*.anx=01;35:*.ogv=01;35:*.ogx=01;35:*.aac=00;36:*.au=00;36:*.flac=00;36:*.m4a=00;36:*.mid=00;36:*.midi=00;36:*.mka=00;36:*.mp3=00;36:*.mpc=00;36:*.ogg=00;36:*.ra=00;36:*.wav=00;36:*.axa=00;36:*.oga=00;36:*.spx=00;36:*.xspf=00;36:
XDG_SESSION_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session0
XDG_SEAT_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-2v25neyStWcv/agent.923
INFINALITY_FT_FRINGE_FILTER_STRENGTH=0
INFINALITY_FT_BRIGHTNESS=0
INFINALITY_FT_USE_VARIOUS_TWEAKS=true
INFINALITY_FT_GAMMA_CORRECTION=0 100
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
DESKTOP_SESSION=LXDE-pi
PWD=/home/pi
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
INFINALITY_FT_FILTER_PARAMS=11 22 38 22 11
INFINALITY_FT_USE_KNOWN_SETTINGS_ON_SELECTED_FONTS=true
INFINALITY_FT_STEM_SNAPPING_SLIDING_SCALE=40
INFINALITY_FT_WINDOWS_STYLE_SHARPENING_STRENGTH=10
INFINALITY_FT_CHROMEOS_STYLE_SHARPENING_STRENGTH=0
INFINALITY_FT_STEM_ALIGNMENT_STRENGTH=25
INFINALITY_FT_AUTOHINT_SNAP_STEM_HEIGHT=100
GDMSESSION=lightdm-xsession
_LXSESSION_PID=923
SHLVL=1
XDG_SEAT=seat0
HOME=/home/pi
XDG_CONFIG_HOME=/home/pi/.config
INFINALITY_FT_BOLD_EMBOLDEN_Y_VALUE=0
INFINALITY_FT_GLOBAL_EMBOLDEN_Y_VALUE=0
LOGNAME=pi
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/local/share:/usr/share/raspi-ui-overrides:/usr/share:/usr/share/gdm:/var/lib/menu-xdg
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-S9P6LLb1Pa,guid=7bd91b2c5a25e943290870c35915fdcc
INFINALITY_FT_STEM_FITTING_STRENGTH=25
INFINALITY_FT_AUTOHINT_INCREASE_GLYPH_HEIGHTS=true
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000
INFINALITY_FT_GLOBAL_EMBOLDEN_X_VALUE=0
DISPLAY=:0.0
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=LXDE
XAUTHORITY=/home/pi/.Xauthority
_=/usr/bin/env

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

Thank you!

this is what I get:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ env
XDG_VTNR=7
INFINALITY_FT_AUTOHINT_HORIZONTAL_STEM_DARKEN_STRENGTH=10
SSH_AGENT_PID=954
XDG_SESSION_ID=c2
SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gtk
XDG_GREETER_DATA_DIR=/var/lib/lightdm/data/pi
TERM=xterm
INFINALITY_FT_AUTOHINT_VERTICAL_STEM_DARKEN_STRENGTH=25
SHELL=/bin/bash
XDG_MENU_PREFIX=lxde-pi-
INFINALITY_FT_BOLD_EMBOLDEN_X_VALUE=0
INFINALITY_FT_CONTRAST=0
USER=pi
INFINALITY_FT_GRAYSCALE_FILTER_STRENGTH=0
LS_COLORS=rs=0:di=01;34:ln=01;36:mh=00:pi=40;33:so=01;35:do=01;35:bd=40;33;01:cd=40;33;01:or=40;31;01:su=37;41:sg=30;43:ca=30;41:tw=30;42:ow=34;42:st=37;44:ex=01;32:*.tar=01;31:*.tgz=01;31:*.arc=01;31:*.arj=01;31:*.taz=01;31:*.lha=01;31:*.lz4=01;31:*.lzh=01;31:*.lzma=01;31:*.tlz=01;31:*.txz=01;31:*.tzo=01;31:*.t7z=01;31:*.zip=01;31:*.z=01;31:*.Z=01;31:*.dz=01;31:*.gz=01;31:*.lrz=01;31:*.lz=01;31:*.lzo=01;31:*.xz=01;31:*.bz2=01;31:*.bz=01;31:*.tbz=01;31:*.tbz2=01;31:*.tz=01;31:*.deb=01;31:*.rpm=01;31:*.jar=01;31:*.war=01;31:*.ear=01;31:*.sar=01;31:*.rar=01;31:*.alz=01;31:*.ace=01;31:*.zoo=01;31:*.cpio=01;31:*.7z=01;31:*.rz=01;31:*.cab=01;31:*.jpg=01;35:*.jpeg=01;35:*.gif=01;35:*.bmp=01;35:*.pbm=01;35:*.pgm=01;35:*.ppm=01;35:*.tga=01;35:*.xbm=01;35:*.xpm=01;35:*.tif=01;35:*.tiff=01;35:*.png=01;35:*.svg=01;35:*.svgz=01;35:*.mng=01;35:*.pcx=01;35:*.mov=01;35:*.mpg=01;35:*.mpeg=01;35:*.m2v=01;35:*.mkv=01;35:*.webm=01;35:*.ogm=01;35:*.mp4=01;35:*.m4v=01;35:*.mp4v=01;35:*.vob=01;35:*.qt=01;35:*.nuv=01;35:*.wmv=01;35:*.asf=01;35:*.rm=01;35:*.rmvb=01;35:*.flc=01;35:*.avi=01;35:*.fli=01;35:*.flv=01;35:*.gl=01;35:*.dl=01;35:*.xcf=01;35:*.xwd=01;35:*.yuv=01;35:*.cgm=01;35:*.emf=01;35:*.axv=01;35:*.anx=01;35:*.ogv=01;35:*.ogx=01;35:*.aac=00;36:*.au=00;36:*.flac=00;36:*.m4a=00;36:*.mid=00;36:*.midi=00;36:*.mka=00;36:*.mp3=00;36:*.mpc=00;36:*.ogg=00;36:*.ra=00;36:*.wav=00;36:*.axa=00;36:*.oga=00;36:*.spx=00;36:*.xspf=00;36:
XDG_SESSION_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session0
XDG_SEAT_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-2v25neyStWcv/agent.923
INFINALITY_FT_FRINGE_FILTER_STRENGTH=0
INFINALITY_FT_BRIGHTNESS=0
INFINALITY_FT_USE_VARIOUS_TWEAKS=true
INFINALITY_FT_GAMMA_CORRECTION=0 100
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
DESKTOP_SESSION=LXDE-pi
PWD=/home/pi
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
INFINALITY_FT_FILTER_PARAMS=11 22 38 22 11
INFINALITY_FT_USE_KNOWN_SETTINGS_ON_SELECTED_FONTS=true
INFINALITY_FT_STEM_SNAPPING_SLIDING_SCALE=40
INFINALITY_FT_WINDOWS_STYLE_SHARPENING_STRENGTH=10
INFINALITY_FT_CHROMEOS_STYLE_SHARPENING_STRENGTH=0
INFINALITY_FT_STEM_ALIGNMENT_STRENGTH=25
INFINALITY_FT_AUTOHINT_SNAP_STEM_HEIGHT=100
GDMSESSION=lightdm-xsession
_LXSESSION_PID=923
SHLVL=1
XDG_SEAT=seat0
HOME=/home/pi
XDG_CONFIG_HOME=/home/pi/.config
INFINALITY_FT_BOLD_EMBOLDEN_Y_VALUE=0
INFINALITY_FT_GLOBAL_EMBOLDEN_Y_VALUE=0
LOGNAME=pi
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/local/share:/usr/share/raspi-ui-overrides:/usr/share:/usr/share/gdm:/var/lib/menu-xdg
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-S9P6LLb1Pa,guid=7bd91b2c5a25e943290870c35915fdcc
INFINALITY_FT_STEM_FITTING_STRENGTH=25
INFINALITY_FT_AUTOHINT_INCREASE_GLYPH_HEIGHTS=true
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000
INFINALITY_FT_GLOBAL_EMBOLDEN_X_VALUE=0
DISPLAY=:0.0
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=LXDE
XAUTHORITY=/home/pi/.Xauthority
_=/usr/bin/env

Are you using your pi plugged into a monitor or TV?  The headless script is really only intended for headless use.  Try changing the headless script to use display :0 instead of :1 and see if that helps.  Alternatively, use the systemd services I wrote for MC, which is the "new way" to do this:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,108981.0.html

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen

Thanks mate,
I'm using it headless.

I read the thread and your advice and i'm totally lost... Shame I upgraded the previous version worked perfectly and there was no specific feature in MC22 that I needed...

curtisls87

• Recent member

Status of Features
What I've tested that works for me:

1) Local audio playback of FLACs and MP3s (Pi 1, 2, and 3)
2) Using the Pi as a library client (Pi 1, 2, and 3)
3) Using the Pi as a DLNA renderer (Pi 1, 2, and 3)
4) Controlling the Pi with gizmo or eos (Pi 1, 2, and 3)
5) Streaming to gizmo from the Pi (works on Pi 2 and 3, not on the Pi 1)
6) Normal window resizing
7) ALSA-compatible USB DACs
8 ) Using an external hard drive with the Pi (some additional configuration required for some drives)

What I have not tested:

1) DSD (I have no DSD-compatible hardware or files)
2) Airplay, etc. (I have no macs or i-devices to test with)

What is not working/supported:

1) Video Playback

I installed MC22 following these instructions and it works great for me. I'm using VNC Server on it, and controlling via a VNC client. I wanted to update this list, as I have successfully played back DSD files of varying types (DFF, DSF, ISO) natively with my iFi and also with my Marantz SA-8005. It works quite well.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

I installed MC22 following these instructions and it works great for me. I'm using VNC Server on it, and controlling via a VNC client. I wanted to update this list, as I have successfully played back DSD files of varying types (DFF, DSF, ISO) natively with my iFi and also with my Marantz SA-8005. It works quite well.

Thanks for the report, I'll fix it.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2017, 08:06:25 am »

I am at a loss trying to figure out what I do wrong but I cannot get MC22 to start up after a reboot. It runs fine when I start it from the Pi menu.

I have followed MWillems’ latest instructions for MC23 (using them for MC22) and this is what I have done:
1. I have set up a jriver.service exactly as MWillems suggests (except for entering “mediacenter22 /MediaServer” instead of 23)
2. I have run “sudo systemctl enable jriver.service” and get no error message

When I reboot mediacenter does not turn up in taskmanager and I cannot connect using JRemote. What could be wrong?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
Re: What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2017, 12:55:59 pm »

I am at a loss trying to figure out what I do wrong but I cannot get MC22 to start up after a reboot. It runs fine when I start it from the Pi menu.

I have followed MWillems’ latest instructions for MC23 (using them for MC22) and this is what I have done:
1. I have set up a jriver.service exactly as MWillems suggests (except for entering “mediacenter22 /MediaServer” instead of 23)
2. I have run “sudo systemctl enable jriver.service” and get no error message

When I reboot mediacenter does not turn up in taskmanager and I cannot connect using JRemote. What could be wrong?

Do you see anything relevant when you type "systemctl status jriver.service" or "journalctl -xe" in the terminal?  Are you using an alternative VNC method (you mentioned that in the other thread)?

akira54

• Galactic Citizen

Since my system is headless and I cannot really hook it up to a monitor I have been reluctant to use x11vnc even though I setup the service as you suggested. I just have not run it yet, since I did want to loose connectivity between my Mac and the RPi (I have VNC Enabled in Raspberry Configuration and use VNC Viewer on my Mac).

Anyway, this is what I see when I run "systemctl status jriver.service":

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ systemctl status jriver.service
● jriver.service - JRiver
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/jriver.service; enabled)
   Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2017-09-10 20:09:36 CEST; 3s ago
  Process: 10154 ExecStart=/usr/bin/mediacenter23 /MediaServer (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)
 Main PID: 10154 (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

I do not understand the reference to mediacenter23 (not installed). So I checked the file again and low and behold it referred to MC23 even though I had changed it explicitly before (perhaps I did not save it properly?). When I now reboot MC does start but with its graphical front end (after reboot JRiver Mediacenter shows up in the Task Bar). When I run the command again I get:

jriver.service - JRiver
   Active: active (running) since Sun 2017-09-10 20:15:26 CEST; 5min ago
 Main PID: 839 (mediacenter22)
   CGroup: /system.slice/jriver.service
           └─839 /usr/bin/mediacenter22 /MediaServer

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

Since my system is headless and I cannot really hook it up to a monitor I have been reluctant to use x11vnc even though I setup the service as you suggested. I just have not run it yet, since I did want to loose connectivity between my Mac and the RPi (I have VNC Enabled in Raspberry Configuration and use VNC Viewer on my Mac).

Anyway, this is what I see when I run "systemctl status jriver.service":

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ systemctl status jriver.service
● jriver.service - JRiver
   Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2017-09-10 20:09:36 CEST; 3s ago
  Process: 10154 ExecStart=/usr/bin/mediacenter23 /MediaServer (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)
 Main PID: 10154 (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

I do not understand the reference to mediacenter23 (not installed). So I checked the file again and low and behold it referred to MC23 even though I had changed it explicitly before (perhaps I did not save it properly?). When I now reboot MC does start but with its graphical front end (after reboot JRiver Mediacenter shows up in the Task Bar). When I run the command again I get:

jriver.service - JRiver
   Active: active (running) since Sun 2017-09-10 20:15:26 CEST; 5min ago
 Main PID: 839 (mediacenter22)
   CGroup: /system.slice/jriver.service
           └─839 /usr/bin/mediacenter22 /MediaServer

Mediacenter will start with the graphical frontend, there is no linux tray icon. The mediaserver flag just prevents MC from popping up blocking modal dialogs (that no one will be there to see on a headless system), so it's advisable.  Sounds like things are mostly working correctly.  If you have instability, as suggested in the other thread, you might want to try x11vnc.  Another tip is to make sure thumbnailing priority is set to "low" in options, and then pre-build all thumbnails.  Thumbnail generation happens on demand, but can easily trigger an OOM condition on the pi which crashes MC.  Pre-building thumbnails solves that problem.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen

Thanks for the sound advice. I am prebuilding all thumbnails and have set the building of thumbnails to low priority. I know this topic about thumbnails has come up before but is it perhaps a good idea to add that to your instructions, since it is something that effects the running of MC on a RPi?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

Thanks for the sound advice. I am prebuilding all thumbnails and have set the building of thumbnails to low priority. I know this topic about thumbnails has come up before but is it perhaps a good idea to add that to your instructions, since it is something that effects the running of MC on a RPi?

The thumbnail priority is now set to low by default in MC23+, so that part is taken care of on recent versions.  You're right though, I should add a note about pre-building thumbs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up