INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade Questions [Old Thread, Now Closed]  (Read 21518 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Upgrade Questions [Old Thread, Now Closed]
« on: July 21, 2016, 05:53:27 am »

Special prices are currently available on MC22 upgrades. 

All licenses sold now are MC22 licenses that will work with MC21 now or MC 22.

Please read Upgrade Help first.

If you still have questions, please post them here. 

Thanks.

CountryBumkin

Re: Upgrade Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 07:12:51 am »

My upgrade went fine, but I want to mention one thing that might confuse a new user doing his/her first old version-to- new version upgrade.

Everyone that has done "new version" upgrades knows about the "countdown timer" for the automatic media import feature. A feature you either love or hate.

For Upgraders: When you are upgrading a client, there is no need to auto-import anything on the client's drives as your media is all on the server, so JRiver gives you about 60 seconds to turn off (cancel) the auto-import.

But if your (previous MC version) client machine is set to start in Theater View mode (a typical view for a client), as soon as the upgrade completes the client machine switches to Theater View. The problem with this is that the auto-import countdown timer is still running, but hidden now - and if you don't know about this, and/or are not fast enough to switch back to Standard View, the auto-import will occur.

Having auto-import run on the client is not the worst thing that can happen, but it would be better, IMO, if it was not automatic (I think a popup asking if you want to run it would be better) or perhaps the install should always complete on the Standard View page.

This post is just a warning for new Users, and a suggestion to JRiver team to consider for improvement of future versions.

bluenose1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 08:45:26 am »

Jim, is the latest version (220012) considered "stable" or still in the beta stage?

Harvie_WallBanger

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 08:49:33 am »

Special prices are currently available on MC22 upgrades.  

All licenses sold now are MC22 licenses that will work with MC21 now or MC 22.

Please read Upgrade Help first.

If you still have questions, please post them here.  

Thanks.

Hey guys,
I just upgraded from MC21 and now MC22 doesn't work with my 2 diamond dust hdhomeruns (4 tuners total)running OTA signals (ATSC / United States)
MC21 still work fine but MC22 shows a black screen and a "no signal" at the bottom center of the screen.
both (4 tuners shown) hd homeruns show up in tv / device setting
am i missing something? ?

thanks for such a great product
thanks for your response
Harvie

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 08:57:16 am »

Hey guys,
I just upgraded from MC21 and now MC22 doesn't work with my 2 diamond dust hdhomeruns (4 tuners total)running OTA signals (ATSC / United States)
MC21 still work fine but MC22 shows a black screen and a "no signal" at the bottom center of the screen.
both (4 tuners shown) hd homeruns show up in tv / device setting
am i missing something? ?

thanks for such a great product
thanks for your response
Harvie

Make sure your firewall allows MC22 full access.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Harvie_WallBanger

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 09:02:23 am »

Make sure your firewall allows MC22 full access.
thanks for such a speedy reply.
that was it
works fine now

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 09:58:59 am »

You can read the release notes to see exactly has been added to each release of MC22. I've been a JRiver user for over 10 years and have installed almost every single release (10.00.20, 10.00.21, 10.00.22 . . . 22.00.1, 22.00.2, 22.00.3, etc.) there have only been a handful that aren't "stable" for my workflow and that is because the introduction of new features sometimes breaks something that already exists. Probably the worst issue I faced was when I had some friends over for a movie and had no sound out of the subwoofer. It was fixed in the next build and I don't think the "unstable" release was ever made public.

15.0.100 (8/26/2010)
7. Fixed: When playing a 5.1 or 7.1 source with the build subwoofer option in DSP Studio > Output Format set to 'Silent', the LFE channel would be incorrectly silenced.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 10:59:52 am »

This might help explain how we work:

JRiver Business Model

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 09:42:04 pm »

SO - I foolishly upgraded my master license on my phone, and when the transaction was complete the page showing my registration code refreshed and gave me the .mjr file, which of course iOS didn't know what to do with. 

Then I tried the restore page, and my licenses for 18-20 are listed, but no 22.  I tried my other (old) email address thinking I may have made some weird mistake, and that shows my 12-14 codes. 

I managed to email myself the.mjr file and install v22 on my PC, but I can't get the code to register my OSX install.

ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 12:22:16 am »

Peter,
I found your license.  It used your gmail address and would have worked at gmail, but I think our system didn't find it because of uppercase letters (T and P) in the address.  You may have searched for lower case, and that should have been a valid search since e-mail doesn't distinguish.

I changed it to all lower case and emailed you your license.

Thanks,

Jim

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 09:30:22 am »

That makes sense - Many thanks!   ;D

audioriver

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 05:52:44 am »

Recently upgraded MC21 to MC22 (Windows-only) but I'm considering a Master License. Did a quick search on the wiki and upgrade links - is $22.98 required for this? Thanks.
Windows 10 Pro x64

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 06:17:35 am »

You have mail.

audioriver

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 09:52:29 am »

Thanks  :)
Windows 10 Pro x64

thmpi

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 11:52:10 pm »

apologies in advance if im stupid but i am not sure on how to upgrade. I paid and received a mjr file which i clicked on and it said licence installed. However when i go to help about it still says MC19.
I thought clicking the mjr file would start an uprade process ? Anyway nothing happened so i found the MC22 download link and downloaded but now i have MC19 and MC22 installed. I dont want to set up the new MC22 from scratch so aborted the auto import.

I must have made a mistake somewhere as im sure MC19 should upgrade and keep all my settings etc so i only have the one instance of MC on my computer ?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2016, 12:04:04 am »

Back up your library in MC19 and restore it in MC22.

thmpi

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2016, 12:07:11 am »

and then uninstall MC19 ?

thanks for quick response btw

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2016, 12:11:49 am »

When you're happy with MC22.

cmg

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2016, 11:08:21 am »

Hi

When I use the registration code you sent, to upgrade from JRiver 21, I get a message " We could not find an upgrade available...."

What to do?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Shear Bliss

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2016, 12:14:40 pm »

Wanting to upgrade to version 22, my page top states I have version 21. When I try to upgrade to the new $19.95 update it says I already have version 22. What is up with that ?
I just signed up in July from the trial ... any thoughts on this ?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2016, 12:28:50 pm »

If you bought it in May or later you received an MC22 license.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2016, 12:30:03 pm »

Hi

When I use the registration code you sent, to upgrade from JRiver 21, I get a message " We could not find an upgrade available...."

What to do?

Thanks in advance

Regards
What do you have and what do you want?

cmg

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2016, 02:00:20 pm »

What do you have and what do you want?

Hi

I have jrMc 21.0.8 and I want to upgrade to 22.
Thanks
Regards

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2016, 03:28:28 pm »

You can use your MC21 license to upgrade to MC22 here:
http://jriver.com/purchase_22_master_as_upgrade.html

Thanks for your purchase.

cmg

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2016, 05:20:46 am »

You can use your MC21 license to upgrade to MC22 here:

Thanks for your purchase.

Hi
And then....  "not a valid....  ( Please see my first post)
Thanks
Regards

JamesW

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2016, 05:52:12 am »

Hi,
   Read most here can't find my answer.  Computer crashed completely.  I have MC 17 on it.  New computer arriving today.  Do I restore 17 first then upgrade to 21 or 22.  Or can I just download the new version then restore? I have the 17 licence mailed to me today.
Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2016, 10:32:05 am »

Install MC22, restore your MC17 license in it and then purchase the upgrade. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2016, 10:35:13 am »

And then....  "not a valid....  ( Please see my first post)
I don't know what you were doing when you got that message.

Here is how to restore a license:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

Please tell me what version of MC (full version) you have installed and what you want to do.

You have an MC21 Master License.  The only upgrade available is to a Master License:

FrankP1953

• Recent member
Re: Upgrade Questions - upgrade master to non-master
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2016, 11:02:54 am »

I have a fully licensed copy of Media Center 21 Master. I have no need for the Linux or Mac versions (and don't know why I had a "master" license in the first place) but am not able to upgrade to Media Center 22 for Windows. Help! I should not continue to be penalized for a mistake made in the past.

beelymagee

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2016, 01:47:39 am »

Good evening, all!
I tried previously downloading and running the upgrade of Windows-only version of MC22 from MC21 - turns out I then had two versions installed on Windows 10 system. I uninstalled MC 21 from Programs & Features OK. I go to restore Registration Code, get the install key (actually also had one that JRiver had just sent me as email attachment.) Receiving  "Your license file is not valid for Media Center. Do you want to upgrade?"
I recall receiving an email that talked about this one-up version increase and thought, "Surely this additional cost doesn't apply to me since my initial purchase of $49 was made in March 21, 2016 for MC 21! I really didn't think that I was being asked to cover a next version upgrade within 6 months of my initial purchase? How often will I be expecting to pay for an "upgrade"?
Back to the question/issue at hand: is my license broken? Will I have to uninstall MC 22 and revert to 21 to have a fully licensed system? Or, am I really required to make another payment this year for this upgrade?
Thanks in advance for the assistance.

-*-Bill

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2016, 05:46:30 am »

Good evening, all!
I tried previously downloading and running the upgrade of Windows-only version of MC22 from MC21 - turns out I then had two versions installed on Windows 10 system. I uninstalled MC 21 from Programs & Features OK. I go to restore Registration Code, get the install key (actually also had one that JRiver had just sent me as email attachment.) Receiving  "Your license file is not valid for Media Center. Do you want to upgrade?"
I recall receiving an email that talked about this one-up version increase and thought, "Surely this additional cost doesn't apply to me since my initial purchase of $49 was made in March 21, 2016 for MC 21! I really didn't think that I was being asked to cover a next version upgrade within 6 months of my initial purchase? How often will I be expecting to pay for an "upgrade"?
Back to the question/issue at hand: is my license broken? Will I have to uninstall MC 22 and revert to 21 to have a fully licensed system? Or, am I really required to make another payment this year for this upgrade?
Thanks in advance for the assistance.

-*-Bill

Refer here for answers to part of your query:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Business_Model

Some of the detail you're after really needs to come from a representative of the business owner.

I can say that the .mjr licence file is valid for 2 weeks (as far as I know). If you're trying to use this after the validity period, then it could explain some things.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2016, 06:22:12 am »

Here is how licensing works:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

If you have a license for MC21, you will need to install MC21.

wmupchurch

• Recent member
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2016, 09:45:51 am »

Hi, when I cut and paste the license key from 21 into this site: http://jriver.com/purchase_22_as_upgrade.html it will not accept the key.  I used the email your key feature, and have the key that JRiver provided.  I have also checked that there are no spaces before or after the key entry, so is there some other secret to making this work?  I would like to purchase the upgrade to 22 for my new laptop, but can't seem to do it. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2016, 01:50:23 pm »

What is your license for?  What are you trying to purchase?   A Master License can only be used to upgrade to a newer Master License.

beelymagee

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2016, 12:55:21 am »

Refer here for answers to part of your query:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Business_Model

Some of the detail you're after really needs to come from a representative of the business owner.

I can say that the .mjr licence file is valid for 2 weeks (as far as I know). If you're trying to use this after the validity period, then it could explain some things.

What I'm picking up here is that I need to address the question of the upgrade cost with JRiver, not the message board. OK, will do.
In the mean time, it looks like I'll have to uninstall  version 22, install 21, apply/restore my license, and stay with 21 until I find a better solution? Sound right? This begs the question: can I do the above scenario: downgrade from 22 to 21 in place? Will my upgraded version 22 data (setup, configuration, recording schedules, etc) still work with the version 21 re-install?

-*-Bill

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2016, 07:45:42 am »

What is your license for?  What are you trying to purchase?   A Master License can only be used to upgrade to a newer Master License.
Please reply to these questions.

If you have made any changes in MC22, they won't be used by MC21.  Going forward will be easier than going back.

rowelaw

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2016, 03:38:24 pm »

I was having a problem with MC 20 and it was recommended by the program that I uninstall and re-install it.  I uninstalled it after much difficulty and it is now gone.  I went to reinstall it and downloaded the file.  It has an mjr extension and my computer cannot open it.  I then thought if I upgraded to MC 22 I would get a new download.  I did, but it also has the same mjr extension and I still cannot open it.  What do I do? 

221bBS

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2016, 04:18:05 pm »

I went to reinstall it and downloaded the file.  It has an mjr extension and my computer cannot open it.  I then thought if I upgraded to MC 22 I would get a new download.  I did, but it also has the same mjr extension and I still cannot open it.

mjr is the registration file, it's needed to activate MC.

What do I do? 

Click the link below to get the current version of MC22. When you finished downloading it, double click MediaCenter220034.exe to install the software. Once it is done installing, double click the mjr file you got for MC22 to install the license.
http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v22/latest/MediaCenter220034.exe

ReTango

• Recent member
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2016, 02:42:24 pm »

Hi! I'm trying to upgrade. I have MC21 Win installed, and just installed also MC22 Win. When I click Help -> Buy Meda Center from MC22, it takes me to a page where the price is $35.98 (Upgrade price.) If I go to jriver.com, it tells me the price is $26.98. However, when I enter my MC21 registration code at jriver.com/purchase_22_as_upgrade.html , it tells me "We could not find an upgrade available for the registration code you entered" . I entered the registration code by copy-paste from e mail several times, from the original email and from a code recovery email I just received, so there are no errors with the code.. how should I proceed?
Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2016, 06:06:00 pm »

A Master License can only be used to upgrade to a Master License, but you have some older Windows licenses that could be used.

magim11

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2017, 04:55:27 pm »

Been trying to purchase upgrade but as soon as click the continue button on the purchase page, it gives me the following error:
"There is a problem with your information. Please double check and try again.   
Important: Your e-mail and password will be needed to restore, so please enter a valid e-mail address and a password you can remember. 

I have done that repeatedly but to no avail-same error. What is the next step? Upgrading from 18 to 22 for Windows.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2017, 05:03:15 pm »

Thanks for trying.  Could you try a different browser?

Goodsound

• Recent member
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2017, 09:17:15 am »

I installed MC22 and with restore Library all worked fine.
Now I wanted to buy the update License (from 16 to 22) but when entering the reg-code I get the following Error Message:
"We could not find an upgrade available for the registration code you entered."   ?
The code seems to be correct but still it does not work.
Can you help? Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2017, 09:41:00 am »

Try copy and paste.  1 and l look alike.  So do 0 and O.

Goodsound

• Recent member
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2017, 10:09:54 am »

Of course I already used copy/paste to avoid typos, this is what you recommend on your hint pages that I read beforehand.
When the code is wrong, I get another error message (Not a valid registration code.  Please double-check what you entered).
MC16 (windows 7) is eligible to upgrade to MC22, isn't it? Are there restrictions?

So why the message "We could not find an upgrade available for the registration code you entered."?

Or better: what is the solution so that I can buy the upgrade to MC 22 ?

Goodsound

• Recent member
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2017, 04:09:50 pm »

Hello Jim, do you have an answer/problem solution for me? Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2017, 04:51:24 pm »

What license do you have?  What license are you trying to purchase?  Don't post your license.

A Master License can only be upgraded to a Master License.

Goodsound

• Recent member
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2017, 03:39:00 am »

Jim,  as I wrote above I have MC 16 running on windows 7 trying to update to Windows MC22.  I bought MC16 in November 2011.
Did you already offer master licenses back then?

There is no information about the the type of license in the email I received 2011 nor in the restore one I asked for in 2017.  I like to suggest that you put in the information what license people bought when sending them their registration key.
The only additional info I have is that I also bought a third-party plug-in called Sonata, which is astoundingly also referred in the registration code email: "JRiver, Inc. Sonata Music Server 16:" then follows the reg code. I hope this helps finding a solution.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2017, 05:30:18 am »

I can only find the Sonata license in our records.  Sorry.  If you used a different e-mail address for an MC16 license, please send me more details.  I'm jimh at jriver.

Master Licenses have only been available for a couple of versions now.

There is currently no upgrade available for the Sonata license.  If you can give me a day, I'd like to think about what we can do.

joffa

• Recent member
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2017, 10:10:01 pm »

I have MC19, which is currently registered and fully functional, and I just tried to upgrade to MC22 without success. I entered the registration code, which led me to a page to enter my details, which I did, then clicked the "purchase" button, but it kept sending me back to the previous page saying my details didn't match. I checked everything and tried to re-submit, but now it tells me I've exceeded the number of unsuccessful purchase attempts, and I'm stuck. Any ideas where to go from here? I don't see an email address anywhere to contact support.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up