INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT - Music databse  (Read 1788 times)

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
OT - Music databse
« on: August 03, 2003, 11:31:26 am »

Hello,

I have my collection pretty well tagged, so I tried to go one step further: I tried to know the albums I miss from my favourites artists.

To do so, I need a complete music database, with tons of artists and its albums names, with as much information as possible (at least: year and genre). So I decided to download FREEDB database and import it to a SQL Server database.  

I did it. And the result was disappointing. FREEDB database is useless for my proposes. It has hundreds of duplicates, with missing tags and many erroneous tags albums. I am not talking about weird, unknown or non-comercial albums. I am talking about Michael Jackson, U2, Madonna, Bryan Adams or Beatles albums. It does not matter, anything that can be bad, it is done badly: Any album can be jazz, rock, misc, blues, classic, reagge and newage, and everything at the same time. And it can be released at 5 or 6 different years. It is a mess.

I know FREEDB database is build with anonymous collaborations, and I know it is the best way to have a huge database. But I thought some kind of cleaning was made.  I thought album information that will be downloaded hundreds, thousands, or millions of times would be checked to ensure a minimum of quality.

For instance, “Bad” from Michael Jackson appears about 40 or 50 times, some misspell the artists, some misspell the album, some both, each “Bad” album has different songs, or belong to a different genre, and so on. Bad, very bad.

How many albums have released Michael? I can’t say looking at FREEDB database.

Well, I realize there is not any quality control. Bad luck.

Do you know an open database I can access to get the information I am looking for (every album of every major artist)?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: OT - Music databse
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2003, 11:39:45 am »

well if you write a program you can delete the dups, and completely remove the ones without tags.

I basicly wrote a program to scan the FreeDB database and just get the artist name and song name, then filter out the dups so i only have one.

you can basicly do the same thing with the info you need.

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

jleerigby

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2003, 11:50:54 am »

Writing programs is cheating.  It took me 15 months to carefully tag all my 20K tracks with artist, album, genre, coverart, rating, decade, tempo, year.  Everyone should do the same.  Get typing and stop taking short cuts.

...BTW King your chartfinder and coverart finder work great.

zevele10

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2003, 11:53:34 am »

You may try to find out if the Swann Catalogue has an online edition.

In fact ,it is only available albums that are listed . But for top 10 artists ,it is not  a problem

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2003, 11:54:12 am »

well if you write a program you can delete the dups, and completely remove the ones without tags.

I basicly wrote a program to scan the FreeDB database and just get the artist name and song name, then filter out the dups so i only have one.

you can basicly do the same thing with the info you need.

Hello, KingSparta.

I knew you did that. Actually, I didn't know I has able to download FREEDB database until I read you did it.

By the way, your Lyrics plug-in is great. Cool. Fantastic. I have about 4000 songs, and your plugin find about 1000 lyrics for them. I was amazed.

Well, about cleaning FREEDB database, I am not enthusiastic. I can select distinct albums, artists, and so on to remove duplicates. But it is not easy to detect and clean misspelings. I will figure out what to do.

Thanks anyway,

Polonio

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2003, 12:00:36 pm »

How many posts I have to write to become Senior Woodchuck?

A hundred?  ;D

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2003, 12:10:19 pm »

How many posts I have to write to become Senior Woodchuck?

when you go over 9,000 J River Will Send You A Yogo, Mine is Blue.

Gateley And Matt drove it to my house
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zevele10

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2003, 12:13:26 pm »

On the bike ?

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2003, 01:11:38 pm »

Polonio,

The best source of info for your purposes will probably be checking out www.allmusic.com

I think I read something about someone having written a piece of software to query the amg database, but unfortunately I cannot recall where I read it  :(

Steef_V.

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2003, 12:28:55 pm »

The best source of info for your purposes will probably be checking out www.allmusic.com  

Great link Deivit!
This site really suits MY needs - hadn't found it yet.

Thanks  a lot...
Steef.

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2003, 01:13:01 pm »

Glad you liked it, Steef. Enjoy it!  :)

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2003, 01:24:04 pm »

Yes, great music database.

It is exactly what I was looking for. Thou I expected to have in my HD, to query as I wish...

I've tried to scan it using a program I made, but they seems to control if the requests come from a "regular" explorer... So nothing I get.

I may look further when I have more free time.

Thanks any way.

Polonio
Pages: [1]   Go Up