INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC21 Tagging Issue: "comment" vs "description"  (Read 3826 times)

Rizlaw

• Galactic Citizen
MC21 Tagging Issue: "comment" vs "description"
« on: August 02, 2016, 10:44:16 am »

In Linux I use the Linux "Easytag" program for modifying ripped FLAC CD tags created by dbpoweramp (in Crossover). I use the "comment" field tag extensively so that I can sort my large CD library more easily.

Easytag has input for a "Description" tag. When my ripped CDs are imported into MC21 for Linux, the information I entered into the Easytag "comment" field is, more often than not, missing when I look at the tag info in MC21 for "comment". However, if I scroll down to the MC21 "Description" field, the information I entered in the Easytag "comment" field is present (most of the time) in the MC21 "Description" field. Not sure why or how this happens.

This problem makes it difficult to create smart searches and sorts in MC21 because I often want to do the searches on the "comment" field which, in MC21, is missing the info I entered. My work around for this is to add two rules to each search; one for "comment" data and one for "description" data, entering the same info into each search. The problem with the workaround is that sometimes it causes nothing to be found -- as if both rules cancel each other.

Is this a subtle MC21 bug?
Ubuntu Gnome 20.04 LTS

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC21 Tagging Issue: "comment" vs "description"
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 10:47:21 am »

Two thoughts:

You can fairly easily do a search and find all files that have nothing in comment and *something* in description.  Then copy description to comment.  Optionally deleting the contents of description after the copy.

Why don't you use MC for tagging?  It really is a fantastic tagger.  It looks a little strange at first, but it's super powerful and also very straight forward to use.

Brian.

Rizlaw

• Galactic Citizen
Re: MC21 Tagging Issue: "comment" vs "description"
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 10:59:14 am »

Two thoughts:

You can fairly easily do a search and find all files that have nothing in comment and *something* in description.  Then copy description to comment.  Optionally deleting the contents of description after the copy.

Why don't you use MC for tagging?  It really is a fantastic tagger.  It looks a little strange at first, but it's super powerful and also very straight forward to use.

Brian.

Thanks blgentry for the quick response, however, that doesn't address why MC21 is missing or misplacing my id3v2.3 tagging from Easytag.

As for tagging via MC21, I do use it to change tagging info or fix errors, but I find it annoying because each time I have to widen the window to make the entry fields large enough to see the data. It would be nice if the vertical window would widen to about 1/3rd the overall width of the main window when tagging mode is enabled.
Ubuntu Gnome 20.04 LTS
Pages: [1]   Go Up