INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Create shortcut for "Locate on disk (external)"?  (Read 3719 times)

Roadside Picnic

Create shortcut for "Locate on disk (external)"?
« on: August 02, 2016, 03:33:14 pm »

Hi, I am on the 30-day demo, and it's going impressively well.

To cope with some inconsistencies in how I stored music files over the years, I'm looking to add my own shortcuts to MC 21 under Yosemite.

I want to add a keyboard shortcut to invoke the MCC_LOCATE_FILE command so as to avoid perpetually right-clicking and scrolling through the tiny onscreen menu. This will allow me to quickly grab cover art in a Finder window where I've sometimes left this art in nested folders.

Searching the forum, I've had some success setting up a custom Resource.xml file.

What isn't working, though, are attempts to bind the "Locate on disk (external)" command to a key, as e.g.:
<Entry Key=“Ctrl;K” Command="26004" Param=“-2”  />

Can this be done? I've tried all the Param permutations as well as adding TranslateFlags values, but no dice.

Thanks for any help.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Create shortcut for "Locate on disk (external)"?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 06:58:14 pm »

I commend you on getting as far as you have.

First, let me point out that Cover Art > Add from file starts a dialog box in the directory where the music files are.  So that should put you where you want to be right?  That's the same thing that "locate on disk external" will do for you.

Second, you should know that commands that you just ran appear at the top of the right click menu.  By default there's only one command there:  The last one you ran.  But you can change this to display many commands there at once.  I display the last 4 I've used, which is enough for me.  You can change this at:

Tools > Options > Tree & View > Advanced > Right click recent command count > (set number here)

Finally, your command for the keyboard shortcut is *very* close to correct.  The problem with it is that your editor has inserted "smart quotes" around the command number and the parameter, so MC is ignoring them.  Use regular quotes like this and it will work:

Code: [Select]
<Entry Key="Ctrl;K=" Command="26004" Param="-2"  />
Finally, note that in this file, on a Mac, when you type "Ctrl", MC uses the <Command> key for that.  You probably already knew that part.

I've tested the above line in my file and it works correctly.  Oh, and you have to restart MC any time you make a change to the Resource.xml file.

Good luck.

Brian.

Roadside Picnic

Re: Create shortcut for "Locate on disk (external)"?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 03:41:45 pm »

Ha, can't believe I missed the smart quotes! Your guidance got me up and running, and the tip for displaying add'l commands is very useful. What I'd feared was going to be laborious doesn't look too daunting now. Thank you.

No need for me to evaluate any further -- I have just bought my license.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up