INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tempo & Pitch what does it do and how does it do it?  (Read 2754 times)

ramsayd

Tempo & Pitch what does it do and how does it do it?
« on: August 07, 2016, 12:24:44 pm »

Hi
I have used Media Jukebox for a number of years and it satisfies most of what I want. I am thinking of buying Media Centre in the hope that the Tempo and Pitch DSP will fill one of its gaps for me. However, there is no documentation on how it functions and therefore I am only guessing it does what I want. Presently I take a copy of the MP3, using other software I alter the tempo, mark the first as Original and the copy as Changed (in a database field I have created) and then filter out to not see any Originals. What I would like is to be able to store in the Library that I want to increase the tempo by say 5% or to change the tempo from 99 BPM to 90, either being acceptable to me and each time it is played it is played and the revised tempo.
I appreciate that I can download Media Centre for free to try it out and if it does not do what I want I don’t have to pay but my fear is that having played around with it, it might do something to the Library that I already have so that I can’t get back to just using Media Jukebox.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tempo & Pitch what does it do and how does it do it?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 01:03:26 pm »

It looks (and sounds) to me like Tempo and Pitch can be controlled separately or together.  Tempo alters speed without affecting the key (or pitch) of the instruments or voices.  While pitch changes the key (or pitch) of the sounds without altering the speed.  There's a third option that affects both together.  A true "playback speed" control.

All three use decimals to add or subtract from the original.  For example, +0.05 would be 5% faster (or higher pitched).  So they should have the control you are after.

As for marking files to be played differently, this is possible, but it has some caveats.  You can put a DSP preset in MC's DSP field for each file you want to change.  But the catch is, that once MC sets a DSP preset, by playing a file with the DSP setting, it does NOT change it back when the next track loads.  It just keeps on playing the DSP preset that is currently set. 

So, in essence, this means that if you want to mark a few files to have a different DSP preset than the rest, you are forced to mark ALL of the other files with a "normal" DSP preset.  Also note that these DSP presets contain EVERYTHING that the DSP can do.  You can't just alter one setting and have the rest untouched.  The preset will change everything.  This isn't a big deal, but it requires you to establish a baseline preset that has everything you normally want.  Then, you alter this baseline preset to say +5% tempo, and save it as a new preset.  Then mark all files with the normal preset.  Finally, mark the 'tempo" files with the +5% preset.

Also note that any time you want to make changes to your baseline DSP setup, you need to save this setup again *and* save your altered DSP preset(s).

For these reasons, I do not use this feature.  It works for sure.  It's just too much maintenance and thought for me to use for the very few things I would use it for.  In my opinion, you're better off doing offline processing.  But that opinion is worth what you paid for it.  :)

Brian.

ramsayd

Re: Tempo & Pitch what does it do and how does it do it?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 01:06:21 pm »

Thank you for such an informative reply
Pages: [1]   Go Up