INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDMI as carrier for multi-channel audio for active speakers  (Read 3552 times)

zydeco

• Junior Woodchuck
HDMI as carrier for multi-channel audio for active speakers
« on: August 09, 2016, 04:52:37 pm »

I’m running active speakers + subwoofers with convolution and/or parametric EQ used to convert stereo signals into the line-level signals for the different drivers. A thought that has crossed my mind is to output the audio (and video) via HDMI which would allow me to simplify the set-up in two manners such that a standard A/V receiver could do D/A and volume control. Also, an more critical, external A/V sources could have their audio processed via mini-DSP nanoAVR HD so as to allow for use of these devices with simple A/V switching. (Yes, I get that the audio processing wouldn’t be as good as that via JRiver convolution but for these sources it’s less of an issue.) No doubt I’d have to turn off all the audio processing within the A/V Receiver but it seems as if it should work. Has anyone tried such a model? Is it viable or am I missing something obvious?

zydeco

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: HDMI as carrier for multi-channel audio for active speakers
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 03:40:16 pm »

Is this idea crazy? Anyone tried something similar?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 03:44:27 pm »

It should work as long as: 1) you need fewer than 8 total output channels and 2) you can defeat all processing in the AVR you're sending to.  I haven't tested, but HDMI can carry 8 channels of uncompressed audio.

zydeco

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 04:34:19 pm »

Thanks. I'm quite excited by the idea as it would allow me to run JRiver with full Acourate FIR filters and then basic PEQ filters (via the nano AVR) for other A/V sources - with simple switching between sources for the family.
Pages: [1]   Go Up