INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass Booost  (Read 4241 times)

SBrandsborg aka Mouseman

• Galactic Citizen
Bass Booost
« on: August 02, 2003, 07:34:31 am »

Hi
Is there a way to booost the bas more than that 15" in the DSP Studio???
~SBrandsborg (Mouseman)
E-Mail: steffen@sbrandsborg.dk

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
Re: Bass Booost
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2003, 08:32:30 am »

Well... Yes & No...

There areTWO ways to boost the bass in DSP Studio...

1: Effects/Virtual Subwoofer... which you found.
2: Equalizer & slide the bass sliders up.

The combination of the two should give you more bass then most speakers can handle.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

SBrandsborg aka Mouseman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2003, 09:03:08 am »

Wow now we are talking :D:D:D
~SBrandsborg (Mouseman)

DocLotus

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2003, 09:26:22 am »

Glad to help.

Out of curiously, what do you need so much bass for ? ?
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Pink Waters

• Finally I understand the feelings of the few
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2003, 09:32:27 am »

Hi
Is there a way to booost the bas more than that 15" in the DSP Studio???

well i have a point which is in my openion..:) and that is extreme bass wouldn't keep up with any genre(which called music) than techno and rap songs...

getting bass hi allways reduces the other parts of songs' power..
Tamer

DocLotus

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2003, 12:04:45 pm »

I agree totally.

Don't really know why, but a lot of people seem to think that load bass improves the music when in reality it detracts from subtle sounds that makes up music.

Very little original music has strong, load bass with the possible exception of electronic music which can reproduce very load artificial bass notes.

This all started years ago (in the 70's) when disc jockeys started using a bass enhancement device made by dBx which artificially boosted the low frequencies of all music by 10 - 20 dB.  The way it works is the lower the original bass, the more the boost.  It also halved the low end so if the vinyl record / stylus could only produce 50 Hz as the lowest possible bass, the dBx unit would half that to 25 Hz plus boost the volume at the same time so you ended up with an artificial load low end.

The original intent was to recover the missing low end in vinyl phonographic records that would not mechanical reproduce the original bass of the music due to various limitations in the record & stylus.  It worked very well for vinyl records but was a total overkill when CD's hit the scene as they already had all the original bass intact.  But, the disc jockeys kept right on using the dBx bass boost device on all music regardless if it needed it or not.

It got totally carried away so today many people think that is how the music is supposed to sound whereas it is mostly artificial.

Now, many people associate load bass with load music.  How many times have you heard some idiot driving down the road with all the windows wide open with 120 - 130 dB sound pressure streaming out the windows for all to hear (blocks away) & setting off car alarms thinking it is funny?  They should be arrested, period... for disturbing the piece that we should all be able to enjoy.  I don't know about you, but I do not want to hear someone else's idea of what music should sound like.  Besides that, they are a safety hazard... an accident waiting to happen!

Real original music has more then load bass to offer.

Much music is so compressed for commercial reasons (narrow dynamic range) that it often sounds flat & the only thing saving it is the load bass which we fell as much as we hear.

One thing often totally missing is dynamic range... the difference between the loudest and softest parts of the music.  All you have to do is go to a classical concert with a large orchestra to experience a true dynamic range of music.  Classical often spans the range from 30 Db (very quite) to over 130 Db (very load indeed).  Nowhere else can you experience such dynamic power of music without an artificial sound.

Some really good jazz also has a pretty good dynamic range but not as much as classical.

I suppose artificial bass boost has its place (somewhere) but I find that really great music does not need any help other then to have a great artist or orchestra playing it.  But then again, maybe that's the problem... much music today is simply not that good & needs all the help it can get, ha, ha... there is the answer!

jleerigby

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2003, 12:28:40 pm »

Doc - That was a riveting and excellant explanation.  Thanks.

Mouseman - If you so are keen on bass then you should invest in a sound system with a good sub woofer.  That way you set the crossover frequency to a suitable level so all the bass sounds below that frequency get handled by the sub and NOT by the main speakers.  This leaves the main speakers to carry on the important job of handling the REAL music without distortion.

DocLotus

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2003, 12:56:28 pm »

I used to have small speakers that did not reproduce the low end very good so I had to use bass boost just to get some of if back but it also caused the music to sound somewhat unnatural as the bass boost made it non-linear (not as originally recorded).

I now have a 5.1 speaker system with a great sub woofer & now find that bass boost just sounds bloomy & unnatural.  The music sounds best without any bass boost.  I even have found that just putting the sub-woofer in the corner enhanced the bass so much that I actually had to turn the bass down a little to make it sound natural again.

There is an old saying that "Too many ingredients will ruin the pie" & I think the same may apply to bass boost.

SBrandsborg aka Mouseman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2003, 04:16:35 pm »

hehe just want to see how mutch my sub woffer can take :P
~SBrandsborg (Mouseman)

dragyn

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2003, 04:40:05 pm »

It just needs....MORE POWER!! [/grunt]

I've got 2 IDMAX's running off of MC. Sounds pretty good.

nameless

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2003, 06:50:13 am »

How many times have you heard some idiot driving down the road with all the windows wide open with 120 - 130 dB sound pressure streaming out the windows for all to hear (blocks away) & setting off car alarms thinking it is funny?

I hate those morons, too--to an extent that cannot be overstated.  It's pretty bad when you're in your house, and you hear a thumping from a car two streets over.  I always figure those people wear shooting-grade earplugs, or they are already nearly completely deaf.

Wobbley

• World Citizen
  • What a bum rap for a nice, sensitive guy like me
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2003, 08:43:16 am »

Actually, and I hate the bass thumpers too, bass doesn't really damage the ears like high treble does.  It's the higher frequencies that are more damaging, so technically, alot of window-rattling bass isn't a result of hearing loss, it's a result of a lack of proper upbringing and respect for the human race...

Wobbley

DocLotus

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2003, 11:13:04 am »

>>> Actually, and I hate the bass thumpers too, bass doesn't really damage the ears like high treble does.  It's the higher frequencies that are more damaging, so technically, alot of window-rattling bass isn't a result of hearing loss, it's a result of a lack of proper upbringing and respect for the human race... <<<

Very true, bass is more felt then heard, but the excessively load bass usually means the volume is turned all the way up which also produces load higer frequencies that does the ear damage to the listener at the source.

We simply do not hear the higher frequencies at a distance as they fall off over distance whereas the bass carries very easily through the air, the walls, concrete, almost anything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up