INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem reinstalling MC21 in Ubuntu  (Read 3934 times)

JimCo06

• Recent member
Problem reinstalling MC21 in Ubuntu
« on: August 10, 2016, 03:42:57 pm »

HI,
I have had 32-bit MC installed in an Ubuntu partition in my dual boot computer since it was first available.  My computer is actually 64-bit so I thought I would change to the 64-bit version of MC.  I attempted to completely uninstall MC using the commands from the tutorials prepared by Awesome Donkey (thanks for those by the way).  I then installed the 64-bit version using the Ubuntu tutorial.  However, I now get a segfault when I attempt to start MC.  I repeated the process several times to try to eliminate the possibility that it was my error, but each try ended with a segfault.  I know, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, but I just couldn't leave well enough alone.

I am thinking that I may not be getting the 32-bit version completely removed and that is causing a conflict.  What makes me think this may be the problem is that I reinstalled the 32-bit version and everything was exactly as I had left it.  I didn't need to restore my library and it was still registered.  I am assuming that if everything had been completely removed I would have needed to restore my library and license.

If this makes since and residual files could be causing the segfaults, how can I make sure that the 32-bit version is being completely removed?  If not, any ideas about what could be causing the segfaults.

Thanks,
Jim

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problem reinstalling MC21 in Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 03:13:12 pm »

A couple of possibilities. You might be missing something in the Ubuntu install for 64 bit MC.
You could do the usual

ldd -d /usr/lib/jriver/Media\ Center\ 21/*.so* | less
from a terminal and see if anything is missing.

Otherwise there may be something in the settings files that's not the same in 64 bit.
You could try temporarily moving the settings files out of the way (without MC running) then re-run MC to see if it works.

mv ~/.jriver/Media\ Center\ 21/Settings ~/.jriver/Media\ Center\ 21/Settings.sav

JimCo06

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 04:24:34 pm »

Bob,
Thanks for your help.  I tried your first suggestion but didn't see anything indicating that something was missing.  Your second suggestion seems to have solved the problem.  MC now starts just fine.  As expected my settings seem to be gone and it is no longer registered.  Is there any way to restore those or it is it easier to just start over?

Thanks Again,
Jim

EDIT: I was able to restore my library from a backup and restored the license, so I am good to go.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 05:34:11 pm »

Bob,
Thanks for your help.  I tried your first suggestion but didn't see anything indicating that something was missing.  Your second suggestion seems to have solved the problem.  MC now starts just fine.  As expected my settings seem to be gone and it is no longer registered.  Is there any way to restore those or it is it easier to just start over?

Thanks Again,
Jim

EDIT: I was able to restore my library from a backup and restored the license, so I am good to go.
Good to hear that!

I think there is something a little different in the 64 bit settings files. Not sure what it is...
Pages: [1]   Go Up