INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot play SACD files in MC20/MC22 Mac  (Read 2943 times)

sumi

Cannot play SACD files in MC20/MC22 Mac
« on: August 13, 2016, 03:58:06 am »

Hi,
I have experienced static noise whenever I played SACD files after choosing output as DoP DSP Option in MAC Captain OSX. The same DAC has no issue with Windows version and DAC display DSD format is playing. I can play SACD files if I removed output format of DoP DSP Option to None but then my DAC detect that as normal music rather than SACD (or DSD). It this a bug or I have mis-configured somewhere?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Cannot play SACD files in MC20/MC22 Mac
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 08:27:59 am »

Output Format, in the DSP section, is a very confusing part of the software. It should almost NEVER be used.  It's only intended to be used in very specific circumstances, which most of use will never have.  I can see how you would EASILY expect it to be the correct option.  But it's not the correct one.

What you want is:

A.  Set output format to NONE.
B.  Tools > Options > Audio > Settings > Bitstreaming > DSD

That will allow MC to play DSD as strictly DSD, with no changes whatsoever.  It will also allow MC to play PCM files at whatever rate you want, with whatever DSP options you want.

That should do it.  Let us know how that works for you.  Good luck.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 08:43:30 am »

Output Format, in the DSP section, is a very confusing part of the software. It should almost NEVER be used. 
It may not be useful in this situation, but the output format settings are commonly used to convert formats that a sound device cannot play.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 10:32:25 pm »

It may not be useful in this situation, but the output format settings are commonly used to convert formats that a sound device cannot play.

You know, re-reading my post, I was not at all clear, and I made a pretty big mis-type/mistake.  Thanks for saying something.

What I'm referring to specifically is the Output Encoding section of the Output Format in DSP Studio.  See attached screen shot.

As Jim said, Output Format is very useful and does a lot of good things.  Output *Encoding* is the "unusual setting" that I was saying should almost never be used.  Sorry for any confusion.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up