INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: OpenSubtitles Lookup  (Read 21486 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
NEW: OpenSubtitles Lookup
« on: February 08, 2017, 05:41:45 pm »

New Feature by JohnT in an upcoming build  Here's his description:

Added support for downloading TV & Movie subtitle files from OpenSubtitles.org. 

This is available from the "Get Movie & TV Info..." dialog.  Coverage depends on user submissions but seems  good.  We usually use the IMDB ID to look up the subtitles, but we can also use a special numeric "hash" of the video file which may work if it's a commonly downloaded video file. 

If subtitles are found for the TV or Movie, they will be displayed.  If there is more than one choice, various stats are shown to help you choose. 

The subtitle language that is searched for is based on the MC setting at "Options / Video / Default subtitle language".  If nothing has been chosen there, we use the system language as the preferred choice. 

We intend to add a few more options.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
Re: NEW: OpenSubtitles Lookup
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 06:10:42 pm »

Very cool, subtitles are always hit or miss and can ruin a good movie night.

Headcool

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 07:06:04 pm »

Well this is a really good feature. Make sure that you allow greater values for subtitle timing adaption as well as saving this timing information to the database and the tags.

v_erich

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 05:34:22 am »

Nice idea!
It would be good, if you can choose that only forced subtitles are used.
I never need  all subtitles, but forced are often missing...

BR
Erich

Trumpetguy

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 06:18:50 am »

Excellent feature!
How will the subs be stored? And will they be available when playing on a network client?

millst

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 09:59:18 am »

Yeah, I was going to write a plugin for subtitles once, but couldn't find a reliable way to get forced (non-english parts only) subs through the APIs. I don't want to sit through the movie with my finger on the subtitle button.

-tm

Nice idea!
It would be good, if you can choose that only forced subtitles are used.
I never need  all subtitles, but forced are often missing...

BR
Erich

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 11:33:25 pm »

Sensible improvement to the feature set. Sounds like a good plan.

How will the OpenSubtitles feature handle different edits / versions of a given movie?

I know from stooging around various interweb sites when I've been hunting that this can be the real challenge to making subtitles work. It doesn't take much in terms of time signatures for the subtitle dialogue to be off the mark, which detracts from enjoying a video.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 07:52:43 am »

The interface for choosing will show you the possibilities sorted by popularity.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 08:06:27 am »

This sounds quite nice! Good work John!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

bhampster

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 05:26:03 am »

I love the idea. I have a handful of movies with problematic subtitles. Going online to find the subtitles manually so far hasn't helped.

So, I can't wait to try this.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 02:45:47 pm »

Thanks for this. It would be good if there were same kind of priority system as it is in LAV filters. I for example would prefer finnish subtitles but if there isn't any english subs would help also.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 11:11:14 am »

This looks GOOD! Thanks for the feature.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 03:54:06 pm »

I just used the new feature to find subtitles for a movie I was was having issues with and had given up on. It worked great. The one with proper timing for my version of the movie was about 15th down the list but it only took a few minutes to get the right one.

I noticed one possible issue with how the list of subtitles are displayed:
When there are subtitles for movies that are split in half ie. CD1 and CD2, They are just shown with the same name in the list. See highlighted subtitles in screen shot.

Al ex

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 04:38:17 pm »

Great!

Hoping that there will also be a feature implemented in JRemote to switch off subtitles, as when I watch a movie on my cell phone and the wrong sub title was added by mistake before, it can get very annoying, if you can't switch the subtitle off...

geoptin

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 01:39:06 pm »

I can't get subtitles... How does it work? I get the message: NO IMDB ID provided. I'm attaching a screenshot.
Thanks, George
geoptin

Trumpetguy

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 02:34:29 pm »

This works really well! One wish - some subs are timeshifted more than 1000ms. Is it possible to extend the onscreen timeshift a bit further than +/-1000ms, let's say up to +/-1500?

A second thing: Is there any simple way to get subs right in movies that came on two discs (e.g. Lord of the Rings extended version)? Subs work well on the first parts, but timing codes are not aligned on the second file, where the text starts all over again.

hacky4real

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 02:50:09 pm »

Very useful addition. Keep it up!. Options to download trailer would be great as well.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 03:27:23 pm »

I can't get subtitles... How does it work? I get the message: NO IMDB ID provided. I'm attaching a screenshot.
Thanks, George

Be sure to check the "get subtitles" box before the search for "cover art & info" starts running. You may need to exit and then retry. If the Searching starts too fast it doesn't see that you checked the subtitles box. At least that is my impression from my testing.

JohnT

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 04:12:12 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've got the multi-CD one on my list.  Also a couple others for next week.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 04:35:48 pm »

Also TV Shows would be nice

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2017, 03:13:42 am »

Yes this does not seem to work for TV shows at present.

Ross

cvrkut

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2017, 12:36:23 pm »

It seems to me that is not working correctly for some languages (Serbian, Slovenian, Croatian ...)

Trumpetguy

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2017, 09:40:58 am »

Test on LotR Fellowship if the Ring, Extended version, which is a two-disc bluray release:

First:
Added "THE_LORD_OF_THE_RINGS_THE_FELLOWSHIP_OF_THE_RING_EXTENDED_VERSION_OS_Norwegian. srt" using MC lookup, and it works quite well on mkv rip of disc 1. The subs were a bit ahead, so I tried shift timing -1000ms, and timing got worse. Changed it to +1000ms, and the timing became quite good, but still i bit ahead. But adjusting the subs forward is opposite of what I would expect.

I then remuxed the mkv in MKVtoolNix and included the same .srt file. The timing was perfect without any adjustments. The problem is that norwegian letters "æøå" is interpreted wrongly, makes it hard to read sometimes and looks ugly...

Second:
I used MKVtoolNix to append part 2 to part 1 into one single mkv. Then added subs using MC lookup. The timing got really off, not only by an offset, but it also seems that the subs are not stretched to the entire movie length.

Again, the same srt file was added using MKVtoolNix and timing is correct (but with the Norwegian letters not interpreted correctly).

This makes me wonder if the timing routine in MC is fundamentally broken somehow. Especially since the onscreen timing adjustment was the opposite direction of what one should think.

Please just regard this as a helpful input to make this into the excellent feature I would think was intended.

EDIT: I think the problem is related to merging two discs into one mkv, not directly to MC itself, so I put a strikethrough on the original text. For some peculiar reason, the timing issues are gone entirely after deleting the srt file and running Get Film and TV data one more time. For the first disc only, obviously. As reported above, it will not work on the second part of the movie, so I'm looking forward to see this functionality added.

And the problem related to not displaying Norwegian letters seem to be due to SRT file not being UTF-8 encoded (one test file was ANSI).

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 04:10:33 am »

And the problem related to not displaying Norwegian letters seem to be due to SRT file not being UTF-8 encoded (one test file was ANSI).
In case you didn't know you can set character encoding manually in mkvtoolnix. I guess default is auto but it doesn't always identify the mode correctly.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 08:29:05 am »

In case you didn't know you can set character encoding manually in mkvtoolnix. I guess default is auto but it doesn't always identify the mode correctly.

I thought so also, but when looking yesterday, I didn't find the option.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2017, 10:58:56 am »

Also TV Shows would be nice

Very Nice addition thanks!!!

I too would love this for TV shows

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2017, 12:22:53 pm »

I thought so also, but when looking yesterday, I didn't find the option.
A little off topic from me but it is in properties section on right and below (Subtitles and chapters properties ==> character set)

On topic of MC and subtitles it would be nice if MC would get subtitles languages from file during import or 'update from tags' command and put it to DB. MC already takes other data from file to DB

JohnT

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2017, 10:14:01 am »

A little off topic from me but it is in properties section on right and below (Subtitles and chapters properties ==> character set)

On topic of MC and subtitles it would be nice if MC would get subtitles languages from file during import or 'update from tags' command and put it to DB. MC already takes other data from file to DB
Not sure I understand.  Do you mean that MC should discover and store what subtitle languages are already embedded in the video file so the user knows before viewing the video whether subtitles need to be downloaded or not?

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2017, 11:07:45 am »

Not sure I understand.  Do you mean that MC should discover and store what subtitle languages are already embedded in the video file so the user knows before viewing the video whether subtitles need to be downloaded or not?
It was a feature request in the wrong place  :P
I only would like MC to populate subtitle languages to a DB field during file import so I can see which videos have subtitles before starting to watch it in TheaterView. Currently I do this by hand when in mood to spend some time on this...

Al ex

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2017, 03:59:34 pm »

Search should be on/off switchable, I.e. subtitles are looked up and saved automatically. Or not, if switched off.

Two languages should be definable - a primary and secondary language. In my case, the primary would be German. If no German subtitle is found, then search for English.

This feature should also be available outside the "Get movie info" feature. Then for all my existing movies, I don't have to do the movie info-search again. Would be useful to avoid accidental overriding individual tags, I have made before.

Cheers.

Goatshade

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2017, 05:09:31 pm »

I didn't read the entire thread, so I apologise if this is a repeat question, but different copies of the same movie or TV show will often have different leading logos and other promotional material. Will there be a way to retime and adjust frame rates for the subtitles that are retrieved?

millst

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2017, 09:11:14 am »

::)

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2017, 02:11:50 am »

I have no idea how, but I just found out that this post ended up in a thread I never even read. Anyway, I'll just post it again here where it belongs:

I don't have a lot of time for testing these days, so I just tried it to see what happens; it brought back srts for the correct movies, albeit with only a low percentage of succes re the frame rate. Granted, I didn't check more than a dozen movies, but it wasn't really promising.

Anyway, it's not a feature I really need, but it makes me wonder: for a while now, JRiver has refused to harvest the IMDB database for metadata, claiming it's illegal per IMDB's terms (and despite the fact that others do it). And now MC offers this functionality, which, welcome as it is, has a legal base that goes way into a far deeper shade of grey. So, isn't that double standards?

...And as I bought v22 on the strength of the promise for "Improved access to metadata", I wonder when are we going to see this promise coming true.  In my wishful thinking, this promise would mean richer scraping options, but there's no sign of that yet, and the product cycle of v22 is waning fast...

Maglu

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2017, 04:41:36 pm »

It is expected to include the option - Português (Brazil)?

JohnT

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2017, 09:23:56 am »

I have no idea how, but I just found out that this post ended up in a thread I never even read. Anyway, I'll just post it again here where it belongs:

I don't have a lot of time for testing these days, so I just tried it to see what happens; it brought back srts for the correct movies, albeit with only a low percentage of success re the frame rate. Granted, I didn't check more than a dozen movies, but it wasn't really promising.
A feature we're considering, is allowing download of several (user configures how many) of the most popular downloaded subtitles for a movie so you can quickly view the video and check for which one works best for timing etc.  Do you think that would help you find a good match?

JohnT

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2017, 09:25:13 am »

It is expected to include the option - Português (Brazil)?
It should be in the list of subtitle languages to choose from on the "Get TV & Movie Info" dialog.  Aren't you seeing it?

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2017, 10:06:08 am »

A feature we're considering, is allowing download of several (user configures how many) of the most popular downloaded subtitles for a movie so you can quickly view the video and check for which one works best for timing etc.  Do you think that would help you find a good match?

It could be helpful for some people, but it could also be messy - lots of subs to get rid of afterwards (some automation would help, marking the one used as correct and deleting the rest). You'd also need to define the dld workflow properly: for example, I'm Greek, so the "most popular" would have to be selected from amongst the availabe Greek subs - and if these are not enough, subs in another language (selectable) would/should be dlded.

Personally, this is not a feature I would use - I tend to have the subs ready long before I watch a film, as it spoils the fun to go through the movie in order check for the correct framerate right when I decide to watch something. But others might find it helpful.

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
  • Music and Audio enthusiast
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2017, 09:14:30 am »

Great! I was using Google for watching movies until now
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.
NAS: QNAP TS-531 with 5x4TB HDDs
DAC/ADC: RME ADI2 PRO
Speakers (active): 2 x ATC SCM50ASL
Subs (active): 2 x REL 528 Signature

edwarduk

• Recent member
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2017, 10:09:01 am »

My setup is a server-client model and never run media on the server, always on a MC client. Within a client is there a way of downloading and running subtitles?

Currently I get the following error when running on a client:

Can't save subtitles at a remote location.

Of course I could simply find a terminal, open remote desktop, login to the server, find the media in MC, download the subtitles, close the remote desktop and then refresh things on the client.  But it is a tall order to ask my wife or children to go through that hoopla.  :D

Perhaps temporarily save the subtitles to a location on the client?

RamsX

• Recent member
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2018, 12:58:56 am »

Would be nice with more (better) subtitle functions.
I'm partly hearing impaired and need subtitles, also for TV shows.
In Kodi, it's so easy to search and find subtitles for EVERYTHING, and that's the only reason I go back to Kodi when watching movies/TV shows.
If JRiver would have a function like that, then I would delete Kodi in an instant!!
Also, JRiver DLNA function is working better than ever, so easy to push a movie/TV show to my SmartTV.
Keep up the good work!! (I've been a customer for maaaany years).
(But please make an add-on for better subtitle search, preferably while watching the move/TV show!!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up