INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't connect to library server  (Read 4987 times)

Vizsla1086

Can't connect to library server
« on: August 17, 2016, 02:48:14 pm »

The client machine cannot connect to the library server on my desktop PC. When I enter the access c ode, I get a message saying it can't connect, and asking if network connections are OK. They are. I can connect home-groups, but not media center with another media center server. I checked the firewall on the server and Media Center is enabled.

Any suggestions? I trued using the URL and got the same result.

hiici

• Recent member
Re: Can't connect to library server
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 07:45:53 am »

Hi,

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you but I have the same problem where my tablet cannot connect to the server.  but this isn't all the time.   10% of the time I do connect so I am at a loss to figure out what is causing this. 

have you figured out what is causing your issue?

thx
mike

gabriham_lincoln

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 06:07:45 pm »

I'm having the same problem connecting to my windows server from my mac client. Weirdly enough I can connect to my window server from my iPhone... Anyone have any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 06:10:32 pm »

Possibilities are a typo in the Access Key or a problem with a firewall on either machine.

gabriham_lincoln

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 01:12:18 am »

So a firewall on the client pc's network could be causing the issue? I thought a firewall on the server's network would only cause issues...

pseudoMark

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 11:05:04 am »

-Update after reading the original post again-

Another symptom of the below issue was I could no longer connect using the JRiver Media Center code.  I had to use IP and port 192.168.1.??:52199

--- End of update -----

Is the client hosting the files and service running Windows 10 OS?

My system recently installed a very large update that took several minutes to install.  After that update I am no longer able to stream from my Windows 10 system using my Amazon Fire TV Gizmo App.  I am able to browse the content, but when I select a track to play it freezes.

I have not been able to test this yet, but from some reading on the Windows 10 anniversary update (which was likely the big one) web cam streaming was broken.  The fix for this was to turn off EnableFrameServerMode in the registry.

Whether or not it has anything to do with JRiverMediaCenter I have no idea.
Windows no longer allows USB webcams to use MJPEG or H264 encoding processes, and only supports YUY2 encoding.
https://tech.slashdot.org/story/16/08/19/2052238/microsoft-has-broken-millions-of-webcams-with-windows-10-anniversary-update

I have a pretty busy schedule lately and enjoy listening to music while I do things.  Lately I am stuck listening to the same tracks on Pandora.  I would be very grateful to someone who has the time to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 11:11:22 am »

Reboot.

Power cycle.

Check your firewall.

pseudoMark

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 11:30:46 am »

I have had the problem for over a week.  My system powers up and down three times a day, and I had turned the firewall off while troubleshooting the inability to connect using the Media Center code.  IP and port was what resolved that and I still have the issue with Gizmo freezing after selecting a track. 

For now I am more hoping to get confirmation that it has something to do with the Windows 10 update rather than it being just my PC. 

I had not selected to install the update, my ticket was just up.  It is a rolling update so you may start seeing more posts regarding this behavior.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/when-will-your-pc-get-the-windows-10-anniversary-update/

One of the ways to verify it is the same issue I am experiencing would be to have them connect with IP and port number.  If they are then able to view their library and it freezes when they try to play a track, it likely is the same issue.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 02:48:28 pm »

I have had the problem for over a week.  My system powers up and down three times a day, and I had turned the firewall off while troubleshooting the inability to connect using the Media Center code.  IP and port was what resolved that and I still have the issue with Gizmo freezing after selecting a track. 

For now I am more hoping to get confirmation that it has something to do with the Windows 10 update rather than it being just my PC. 

I had not selected to install the update, my ticket was just up.  It is a rolling update so you may start seeing more posts regarding this behavior.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/when-will-your-pc-get-the-windows-10-anniversary-update/

One of the ways to verify it is the same issue I am experiencing would be to have them connect with IP and port number.  If they are then able to view their library and it freezes when they try to play a track, it likely is the same issue.
Try going into Media Network Options and click on the access key, test the connection to the server.

cgott42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 12:26:31 pm »

I think that I have the same problem as accessing my JRiver Media Network from my laptop worked fine until I upgraded to windows 10.  Both PCs(desktop with video files and laptop have MC 21 and Win 10).  If I type 192.168.1.6:52199 from my desktop it loads the library giving me an option to use media network, gizmo, etc (If I select gizmo it loads my videos).  However if I do so from a browser on my laptop or from my smart phone (android Samsung Note 4) it doesn't - says can't reach the page. Likewise if I use gizmo from my smartphone it keeps attempting (retry) to connect in vain - until it finally says a problem connecting to the server

I've rebooted my PC
and reset my router
Any ideas??

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 05:57:06 pm »

Firewall?

cgott42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 12:54:20 pm »

Bingo - I added jriver to the allowed apps in the firewall and works! thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up