INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I cannot play Flac Files  (Read 7625 times)

cshl

• Recent member
I cannot play Flac Files
« on: September 19, 2016, 02:40:17 am »

Please help a senior citizen.

I have a collection of Philip's 180 CD Mozart Collection. I cannot play the Flac Files.

Files are listed as this:

FLAC- 1412kbps - 61.7MB - 16 bit - 44100Hz.

The file plays with white noise.

What should I be doing to play these types of files?

Thanks in advance for your help.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: I cannot play Flac Files
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 02:26:55 pm »

FLAC files should play just fine with MC.  I wonder if this might be related to your playback device.  Are you using a bluetooth speaker or other bluetooth device?

Do other files play fine?  If so, can you give details on one or two files that *do* play?

Thanks,

Brian.

cshl

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 11:42:57 pm »

You are a very smart person. Yes I am using a Bowers and Wilkins A5 wireless speaker which is connect via Airport Extreme.

Just today I was playing classical music just fine. I should also add that I am using a software named Airfoil which controls my music distribution.

Here are examples of files I played today without any problems.

The Prestige Collection

Adagio para cuerda.......APE 684kbps  34.5MB  16 bit    44100 Hz

A Rose is still a Rose......FLAC  927kbps     29.5MB   16 bit       44100Hz

Max Bruch Adagio...........FLAC  515kkbps  40.0MB     16 bit       44100Hz

The Greatest Singer Songwriter - She No Lady       FLAC 840kbps    460MB     16 bit   44100Hz

Gregorian Chant     APE      467kbps   3.2MB    16 bit     44100Hz

Thanks again for your help re this matter

Kid Twist

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 06:46:38 am »

Did you purchase Airfoil? I believe the software is free to use for a limited time, then it switches over to white noise unless you start a new playback session or pay for a license.

cshl

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 02:07:30 am »

I purchased Airfoil, however I have removed it completely now. The problem still exists.

There are a few things that I wanted to do to make sure that the files I am working with were first of all playable. By elimination process, I downloaded a few players to see if the files are playable.
VLC - plays, but white noise.
VOX - plays but white Noise
Elmedia - plays but white noise
Swinsian - Plays beautifully No white Noise. So the file is ok
Audirvana - Plays beautifully. No white noise.So the file is OK

S we have a file that works and plays.

Any more suggestions?

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 09:55:57 am »

VLC - plays, but white noise.
VOX - plays but white Noise
Elmedia - plays but white noise
Swinsian - Plays beautifully No white Noise. So the file is ok
Audirvana - Plays beautifully. No white noise.So the file is OK

You can play *some* FLAC files with MC.  In fact, most of your FLAC files play in MC.  All except for these 180 CD collection files. 

Now, you've done testing which shows that (3) different popular players (VLC, VOX, and MC) all will NOT play these files correctly.  Two other players (one popular, one not) are able to play the files.

To me, this means that the files are "weird" and were probably authored in a non-standard way.  Probably with some odd application, or edited in some way that's non-standard.  I'm assuming you didn't rip these CDs yourself.  If you did, please tell us what ripping program you used.

Maybe one of the developers will have more to say.

Brian.

cshl

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 07:22:08 pm »

You can play *some* FLAC files with MC.  In fact, most of your FLAC files play in MC.  All except for these 180 CD collection files. 

Now, you've done testing which shows that (3) different popular players (VLC, VOX, and MC) all will NOT play these files correctly.  Two other players (one popular, one not) are able to play the files.

To me, this means that the files are "weird" and were probably authored in a non-standard way.  Probably with some odd application, or edited in some way that's non-standard.  I'm assuming you didn't rip these CDs yourself.  If you did, please tell us what ripping program you used.

Maybe one of the developers will have more to say.

Brian.

Yes I can confirm what you indicated as above.

There was one thing that I forgot to mention. I am using the latest version of JRiver Media Center v 22.0.22 for Mac

I did not rip these CD's myself.

To make life much simpler I have uploaded two files.

CD 1 has 8 tracks and CD 2 has 10 files. The ape and ape.cue files are also there. Your lab technicians can download them and analyze them.

Thanking you again for your thoughts and help. It is really appreciate.

Sincerely
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B3B2LdzBMSjPR0RLNVZUSzFpWkE?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B3B2LdzBMSjPY0JzV3FYRDlzNXc?usp=sharing

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 07:04:55 am »

I downloaded one of the FLACs and one of the APE files.  The APE file plays fine with VLC, while the FLAC plays white noise, as you reported.

I would think the best approach would be to use a third party utility to split the APE file, but I don't have any good recommendations, as I've never used a tool like that.

Brian.

cshl

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 08:41:44 am »

But the question arises, that the Flac files played on the Swinsian and the Audirvana players. I do not mean to sound rude, why the JRiver Media is not playing the files?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 08:51:00 am »

But the question arises, that the Flac files played on the Swinsian and the Audirvana players. I do not mean to sound rude, why the JRiver Media is not playing the files?

For whatever it's worth, the FLAC files play as static in Foobar2000 and Winamp as well.

So there's something a little baked about them.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

cshl

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 09:20:41 am »

For whatever it's worth, the FLAC files play as static in Foobar2000 as well.

So there's something a little baked about them.

Again, I do not mean to sound rude and I appreciate your comment about Foobar, but the files play on Audirvana.I just went back to have a look to see the type of file shown and it shows as a Cuesheet file. What is Cuesheet, never heard of it before...I will investigate and get back to you folks

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 09:32:35 am »

Again, I do not mean to sound rude and I appreciate your comment about Foobar, but the files play on Audirvana.I just went back to have a look to see the type of file shown and it shows as a Cuesheet file. What is Cuesheet, never heard of it before...I will investigate and get back to you folks

A CUE file is an index into a larger file.  In the directories you posted, there are a handful of FLAC files (10 of them).  You also have one APE file and one APE.CUE file.  The APE file is one BIG file that contains all of the audio from the CD.   The CUE file is an index that says "at 5:42 the second song starts.  At 7:28 the third song starts.  Etc.  I'm making up those numbers, but that's the basic idea.

If Audiarvana says it's a CUE file, you probably are not playing the FLAC files at all.  You're probably playing the APE file, via the CUE sheet.  You'd need to check to see if you have the APE file imported or not.  If you do, I'll be AV is playing the APE/CUE and not the FLACs.

Brian.

cshl

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 02:36:11 pm »

Brian, thanks for your help. I was able to resolve the issue. The originals have to be converted to aiff files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up