INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noob question about changing zones  (Read 1909 times)

Kid Twist

• Junior Woodchuck
Noob question about changing zones
« on: August 26, 2016, 04:16:57 pm »

Recent licensee here. Forgive me if this explained elsewhere on the forum or in the wiki. I looked but did not see an answer.

I have two zones. One is set to play audio through the home theater system in my living room. The other plays music on a networked wireless speaker in my bedroom. Is there a way to change zones on the fly so that I can switch playback from one to another as I move from room to room?

I figured out linking, but that's not really what I'm looking for. Also, I tend to use MC in Theater View, which doesn't have a setting for linking zones.

Thanks.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Noob question about changing zones
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 04:46:07 pm »

"Zone transfer" is a feature that's asked for every now and then, but does not yet exist.

You can simulate it by linking zones, then breaking the link, and finally stopping playback in the original zone.  The new zone will continue on with whatever was playing in the original zone.

I've been toying with the idea of building a new android based remote app for JRiver. The first feature I plan to implement includes "zone transfer".   But that's totally vapor and I shouldn't have even mentioned it.

Brian.

Kid Twist

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 10:39:34 pm »

Thank you. It's a shame there is no zone transfer. Linking and unlinking is not really a satisfactory way to do it, especially since I have to switch out of Theater View to accomplish this.  The eos remote app lets you link and unlink on the fly. But a. you have to carry your phone from room to room and b. unlinking doesn't work all that well, so you end up with out-of-sync playback in two adjacent rooms.

Couch

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Music. Sweet Music.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 11:18:31 am »

I'm scouring forums to get  abetter understanding of Zones...

I'd like to add a feature request to your vapor-ware: Zone Transfer coupled with device tracking. How cool would it be to have the zone nearest you (your phone or other device of choice) and auto zone-transfer as you move around.

Working in the garage, go inside through the family room and then upstairs to the kitchen to grab a beer and then back to the garage - music following you the whole way. :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up