INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IdPi on mSD Card -- Available Now  (Read 126079 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
IdPi on mSD Card -- Available Now
« on: August 29, 2016, 10:59:52 am »

We have just begun shipping a version of the Id for Raspberry Pi.   We're taking orders now.  It is shipped on a micro SD card.  You will also need a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B.

When you receive the card, just plug it in to the Pi, and you'll have the full Id experience:

It works as a DLNA Renderer, so you can play audio to it from another machine on the network.
It has some free storage available, so you can put a few files on it if you want to use it as a portable player.
It accepts USB drives with additional storage, and is controllable from Gizmo, JRemote, or Panel.

Includes Engen, JRiver's IoT lighting solution.

More about the Id family

Prices
Id Pi mSD with 16GB    $39.98

Shipping
Standard mail.  $5 US or Canada, $10 elsewhere.

How to Order
Please send a message to sales at jriver and indicate your Paypal address.  We'll send you a Paypal invoice.  When you pay it, we will ship the micro SD card within two days.

Instructions
Insert card and power up.

Id Instructions

Source for Raspberry Pi Model 3
Vilros at Amazon -- $49.99

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: Id Pi mSD -- Release September 15th
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 01:44:30 pm »

Very cool, Jim. Like this idea a lot.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 02:06:27 pm »

Looks like a nice move forward

I had 2 questions on this;

Why does this require a physical purchase (and associated shipping) as opposed to an image to download? Is the licence tied to the SD card guid?
What are the key advantages of the IdPi, which makes me think of calling it a Pid  :), over installing jriver linux on a.n.other pi distribution? that it makes it accessible to anyone as a turnkey solution? I suppose I could put this another way... what is the benefit of the Id Pi if one is familiar enough with linux to run jriver on it without a problem?)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 02:21:17 pm »

If you're comfortable with Linux, you can certainly build your own.  The Id has a few advantages.

We maintain it, including the OS. 
You can update by choosing the option from a menu.  This updates the OS, MC, and the Id system.
It can run in a GUI mode or it can run headless.
It includes Engen, our automated lighting system.
Panel can control it and can set it up
You can use Panel to reboot it or shut it down from any device.
You don't have to understand Linux or use it.

In general, it's more of an appliance than a computer.

We ship it on a card so it can be inserted in a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and just boot.  We may make it available to download in the future. 

jachin99

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 08:32:01 pm »

So can I build a little Ras Pi, stick this SD card in there, and plug in a z stick for a power efficient home automation server?  Can programs like Event Ghost be ran on this machine to fill in functionality gaps that JRiver might miss?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 09:09:27 pm »

Yes, but I don't know about Event Ghost.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 12:15:27 pm »

Very cool indeed. 

What type of performance should we expect from this?  I assume the Id Pi would struggle with a blu ray being sent from an MC server, but what about other video?  Or is the expectation with an Id Pi that the server transcodes it to something much lower?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 12:52:08 pm »

Bob may have more to say, but I wouldn't recommend it as a video player.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 04:21:39 pm »

According to Hendrik, MC on the Pi doesn't support video playback at this time.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 10:08:02 am »

Great work!

Will the Id Pi run both Media Center server and Engen?

I have in mind the following use case:

Id Pi with 3tb USB HD with video and audio media files.

JRiver MC Clients throughout house to play video and media files.

The same Id Pi has a USB Z-Stick and runs Engen controlling Z-wave devices around house.

Sounds like this is exactly what you are describing.

Thanks!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 11:16:26 am »

Great work!

Will the Id Pi run both Media Center server and Engen?

I have in mind the following use case:

Id Pi with 3tb USB HD with video and audio media files.

JRiver MC Clients throughout house to play video and media files.

The same Id Pi has a USB Z-Stick and runs Engen controlling Z-wave devices around house.

Sounds like this is exactly what you are describing.

Thanks!
Yes, with the exception that you can't play video currently.

astropuppy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 01:46:53 pm »

I understand it will not play video. My question is will it show a slide show? My wife puts up with my music provided she gets to watch a family slide show. Currently, we watch a slide show and listen to music all the time using mc21 in theater mode on windows.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 04:25:07 pm »

I have a similar question. Will it serve (w/o transcoding) video files to other computer clients running MC that will play the file?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 06:29:06 pm »

Maybe on both questions.  I'll see if I can get you a better answer in a few days.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 06:42:54 pm »

We're ready to ship now.  If you're ready to order, just send an e-mail to sales@jriver.com and tell us your paypal address.  Or call Deanna at 612 677 8200 x203 and give her a credit card.

It's $40 during September.  $50 next month.

It includes the Engen software for automated lighting.

roberthenson

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2016, 02:22:24 am »

Headless - that i think is a new feature
i bought the full price 21 license to allow me to install on a linux box (r pi)
and could not run it headless
i have not tried for awhile - but is it possible to run 21 headless
or do i need to get the latest to do that?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2016, 07:30:43 am »

Welcome to the forum.

The Id Pi should run headless, but it's too early to be certain what problems there might be.  We will fix any that are reported.

Take a look at the topic about "Panel".  It's on the MC22 for Windows board.  The settings icon gives you a few ways to change things on the Id.

Andi_Hamburg

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2016, 04:09:11 am »

Hi Jim ,
what it would cost the shipping of Id Pi card to Germany?
If I have understood correctly , the card costs $ 39.99 in September .
Is that right?

Regards
Andi

queni

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 04:10:46 am »

Guys, I'm interested in this, have a Pi around that I can utilise, but want to see some screenshots/details of what I would get for my monies before paying out for it.

Any chance of this?

Regards,

JrB

T44ISKN

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2016, 05:46:24 am »

Does Id Pi support this new feature of MC 22 Windows?
  • NEW: The DLNA server Audio Advanced DSP studio is active for all functions including sample rate changes
If so, I'll attempt upgrading my Pi from MC21 to Id Pi.

Thanks for looking!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 07:04:37 am »

The Pi can't be upgraded manually, but try the update option on the text menu (#12).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 07:08:02 am »

Guys, I'm interested in this, have a Pi around that I can utilise, but want to see some screenshots/details of what I would get for my monies before paying out for it.

Any chance of this?

Regards,

JrB
When you boot an Id, there are several options (headless, text only, or GUI).  In GUI mode, you see a desktop with two screens: the text menu and the MC window.  You can use a keyboard and mouse to run MC directly or you can play to it from another PC.

I'll try to post some screenshots later.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2016, 09:45:28 am »

This one is old but still close:

Magellan

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2016, 11:47:08 am »

Can this id be used with the JRiver convolution engine and filters on a Raspberry?

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Id Pi on mSD Card -- Available Now
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 11:49:34 am »

In theory, yes, but it hasn't been tested.  We will take a return if it doesn't work.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2016, 08:45:30 pm »

Have you guys considered sending one of these to the likes of Linux Action Show? It's more an open source kind of show, but they recently did an ep on IoT, so may be a good follow up for them...

dr.mike

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2016, 12:13:43 am »

Reading the thread and the Id Pi Wiki, I'm not totally clear what is meant by DLNA renderer. Additionally the screenshot above looks like a full MC, i.e. player and renderer to my understanding.

Question: Can I hook it up to my DAC, direct it to my NAS for the music Files and control via JRemote on an iPad, wihout the need for an additional PC up and running?

My JRiver media library also resides on the NAS - is it possible to reuse it with the Id Pi and simply direct it to the corresponding NAS location?

Many thanks!

Gesendet von meinem Moto G (4) mit Tapatalk

nerone

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2016, 06:22:53 am »

I'm on the process of building a carputer using JRiver.
I considered using the Raspberry Pi but I decided not to use it for one specific reason, I read on some forums that it is common to have the SD Card corrupted if you just unplug Pi's power. Also doing a command line to power the Pi down properly using some of it's GPIO pins required more skills that I have.
Now that the IdPi has launched I'm wondering how the power down process works on it. Can I just cut Id Pi power and it will not corrupt the SD card and work normally on next start up?
Also, how long the Id Pi takes from turning on the power to being able to play music.

Sidenote: you should consider doing a logo using Id Pi that can be read upside down also. ;D

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2016, 10:22:39 am »

Reading the thread and the Id Pi Wiki, I'm not totally clear what is meant by DLNA renderer. Additionally the screenshot above looks like a full MC, i.e. player and renderer to my understanding.

Question: Can I hook it up to my DAC, direct it to my NAS for the music Files and control via JRemote on an iPad, wihout the need for an additional PC up and running?

My JRiver media library also resides on the NAS - is it possible to reuse it with the Id Pi and simply direct it to the corresponding NAS location?

Many thanks!

Gesendet von meinem Moto G (4) mit Tapatalk
The Id Pi is very similar to a standard Id which is MC running on linux which boots by default headlessly as a standalone renderer.
It can also be used with a monitor and keyboard OR with remote desktop/vnc as a standard MC installation. It can be a server and play from networked media as well.

You can hook it up to a DAC and use JRemote/Gizmo.

The limitations are:
1) It can't do video
2) Other limitations because of the speed of the RPi (no multichannel HDMI for instance). Likely a limit on how much DSP processing can be done.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2016, 10:37:22 am »

Great suggestion (and discovery) on the logo idea.  Thanks.

I think the power question is more of a Raspberry Pi question.  I can't answer it.  Forum posts aren't always reliable.

It's probably about two minutes from power on to music.  I'll try to time it when I'm home.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2016, 11:08:11 am »

I'm on the process of building a carputer using JRiver.
I considered using the Raspberry Pi but I decided not to use it for one specific reason, I read on some forums that it is common to have the SD Card corrupted if you just unplug Pi's power. Also doing a command line to power the Pi down properly using some of it's GPIO pins required more skills that I have.
Now that the IdPi has launched I'm wondering how the power down process works on it. Can I just cut Id Pi power and it will not corrupt the SD card and work normally on next start up?

Great suggestion (and discovery) on the logo idea.  Thanks.

I think the power question is more of a Raspberry Pi question.  I can't answer it.  Forum posts aren't always reliable.

It's probably about two minutes from power on to music.  I'll try to time it when I'm home.

Just pulling the plug on a raspberry pi poses a risk of corrupting the sd card.  It has happened to me a few times when I had an unexpected power interruption, and it's widely reported as an issue.  However, if you shutdown the pi in software, it will be safe to unplug it once the shutdown has completed.

As an aside, I've been using computers in some form or another since 1985, and I've never interacted with a computer where it was 100% safe to just turn it off with filesystems active.  Back when the operating system ran off of a floppy disk, we used to make sure to take out the disk before turning the computer off.  Windows 95 was the first OS I interacted with that actively tried to stop users from just flicking the power switch when they were done (because of the risk of file corruption among other things), and introduced the (now famous) "it is now safe to turn off your computer" splash screen, after which you still had to flip the power switch off yourself. 

Obviously, most modern computers will, after finishing the software initiated shutdown, turn the rest of the way off.  The pi is more like a windows 95 machine; if you shut it down in software, it's safe to unplug it, but you still have to unplug it yourself (and plug it back in when you're ready to use it again).  There are mini-batteries that give the pi time to shutdown, and power switches that ease the process a bit (or make it a bit more elegant) both available on the broader market.  If were working on a car pi application, I would look into something like this: https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/breakout-boards/pi-modules/ups-pico .  It's essentially a battery that detects when its discharging and safely shuts down the pi, and can be setup to restart when power is applied again.

TL;DR: if you just yank the cord on a running Pi, it can corrupt filesystem, but that's also true of most computers (albeit to a lesser extent).  It you make sure to shut it down properly (until the green lights stop blinking if I recall correctly), you'll have no risk pulling the plug.

nerone

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2016, 12:05:39 pm »

Mcwillems,
I'm aware that you should not power down a computer without the proper shutdown process, but as I planned on using it in my car without keyboard or mouse and without the necessary knowledge to implement a GPIO+code for shutting it down on an automated fashion by any PSU, I gave up the idea and changed to a Mini ITX computer running windows 10 and the regular JRiver. I was inclined to reconsider the idea if this was somehow addressed by JRiver team.

Thanks for the Pico PSU tip, even though this would prevent the use of a Hifiberry, seems like a very good alternative.
It's sad that the Raspberry Pi doesn't have a dedicated power down switch or header, or maybe even pads for soldering. But I know they have their budget and priorities.

Jim,
Considering that the problem happens on some Pi's, you may have to deal with it at some point. This topic have some Ideas to walk around it, may be helpful for your team (Read only partition and running system from RAM).
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=36533

dr.mike

• Recent member
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2016, 12:17:42 pm »

The Id Pi is very similar to a standard Id which is MC running on linux which boots by default headlessly as a standalone renderer.
It can also be used with a monitor and keyboard OR with remote desktop/vnc as a standard MC installation. It can be a server and play from networked media as well.

You can hook it up to a DAC and use JRemote/Gizmo.

The limitations are:
1) It can't do video
2) Other limitations because of the speed of the RPi (no multichannel HDMI for instance). Likely a limit on how much DSP processing can be done.
Cool, thanks a lot! A little  bit of research on the Pi and I think I'll be in then!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2016, 06:10:16 pm »

It takes about 1 minute and 40 seconds.

pelliott123

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2016, 07:27:07 pm »

Wow this is great stuff.

I have been using RPi3 with Rune, MoOde, Volumio's, et al for the past couple of weeks. It's been fun and these products are ok each with its good and bad parts

I have had problems with corrupted chips. Re imaging the chip is easy.

I have been a loyal JRiver user for a number of years upgrading as new versions come out.

My question is once I purchase the chip/license and it gets corrupted is there a way of getting a new image?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2016, 08:11:10 pm »

We will make it work.  We won't let you down.

azathot

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2016, 09:15:41 am »

I assume we can use external DACs, like the HiFiBerry, correct?  Is the official RPi Touchscreen supported?  Is the license supported on multi Pis (i.e. I can buy the sd card and image it for two locations in my home)?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2016, 06:37:48 pm »

Andi_Hamburg

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2016, 06:16:24 am »

Hi,
I have since some questions about:
What is the difference between the ID Pi and MC22 (for Linux)?
But I can also install MC22 on the Raspberry.
 What are the advantages with the ID Pi?
Supports the ID Pi also Hifiberry DAC+ board?
Best
Andi

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2016, 04:18:08 pm »

Hi,
I have since some questions about:
What is the difference between the ID Pi and MC22 (for Linux)?
But I can also install MC22 on the Raspberry.
 What are the advantages with the ID Pi?
Supports the ID Pi also Hifiberry DAC+ board?
Best
Andi
The main differences are that the Id Pi is preinstalled with an OS and ready to go.
It also has a text based control menu that doesn't require being run in GUI mode.

For the tinkerer, you might prefer rolling your own.

GadgetBoy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2016, 08:01:57 am »

I read through the threads here and I don't believe a saw a response.

Is the license tied to the SD card? Bottom line, can I copy/install this on 1 (or more) other Pis I may have in the house?

Thx
LazyAutomtion
www.lazyautomation.com

la·zy [ley-zee] - Resistant to work or exertion; disposed to idleness.
au·to·ma·tion [aw-tuh-mey-shuh n] - The automatic operation or control of equipment, a process, or a system.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2016, 01:45:34 pm »

It's a license for one Pi.

Andi_Hamburg

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2016, 11:51:47 pm »

Hello,
one more question, he also supports the DAC Board Hifiberry DAC + or he has to use only as a DLNA renderer?

best
Andi

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2016, 10:23:28 am »

Hello,
one more question, he also supports the DAC Board Hifiberry DAC + or he has to use only as a DLNA renderer?

best
Andi
I did a search on the forum and there were several hits on that DAC that said it's working.
Here is one:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,105551.msg741215.html#msg741215

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2016, 01:32:16 pm »

I can confirm that the hifi-berry works fine with JRiver on a conventional raspberry pi (I have one running right now), but the hifi-berry itself requires a bit of config tinkering to get the hardware working.  Assuming the user is comfortable doing the necessary manual configuration for the hardware(i.e. the installation steps on the hifiberry website), it should just work in JRiver after that assuming the Id Pi is shipping reasonably up-to-date raspberry pi kernels/firmware.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2016, 12:32:43 pm »

I can confirm that the hifi-berry works fine with JRiver on a conventional raspberry pi (I have one running right now), but the hifi-berry itself requires a bit of config tinkering to get the hardware working.  Assuming the user is comfortable doing the necessary manual configuration for the hardware(i.e. the installation steps on the hifiberry website), it should just work in JRiver after that assuming the Id Pi is shipping reasonably up-to-date raspberry pi kernels/firmware.

It ships with the stock jessie install, kernel 4.4.13-v7+ #894 SMP Mon Jun 13 13:13:27 BST 2016 armv7l

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2016, 05:08:11 pm »

It ships with the stock jessie install, kernel 4.4.13-v7+ #894 SMP Mon Jun 13 13:13:27 BST 2016 armv7l

That should work, I'm running a newer kernel, but when 4.4 was current it was working here.

patairmax

• Recent member
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2016, 03:39:58 am »

Hi, sounds very interesting I like the idea to have both MC and PI OS operated (I hope tuned and optimized?) by JRiver team. It's may be the right solution I was looking for.

I've several questions regarding the ID PI on MicroSD card:
- Today I'm using MC on a Windows HTPC connected in USB to my DAC. I'm playing DSD files in DOP frames on USB port. I which to keep this HTPC as main library server with MC but now deported on my local network. Will it be possible to play DSD files (flawlessly!) on the MC DLNA/RPI3 ?
- I understood the RPI will be used headless, how can we fine tune the MC ? For example JRemote is limited to choose some parameters like "Play files in memory", and so on....
- Je RPI3 has a Bluetooth access point. Is it usable through MC ?
- I already own a MC Master Licence. Why do I have to pay again the licence on the MicorSD card ?

Thank you for in advance your answer.
Pat

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2016, 07:14:07 am »

Welcome to the forum.

On DSD, I'm not sure how well it will work yet.  You might wait to see what other people say.

It works headless or with a monitor.  I use HDMI, connected to a TV.  You shouldn't need to do much with it and there is a remote control and setup web app.  See the Panel topic on the MC22 board for more details.

Bluetooth is not supported at this time.

The Master License doesn't include the Id.  You could do something similar if you want to use Linux and build your own.  There is an RPi thread on the Linux board.

patairmax

• Recent member
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2016, 08:55:13 am »

Hum, I've tested a UPnP renderer (moode to not tell him) on a RPI 1 B, and DSD is working with a lot of glitches, but it works. Even standard or HiRes FLAC have glitches, less than DSD. My RPI is not overclocked but we can expect better results on JRiver ID + RPI 3 with its better CPU and maybe a better USB bus...

Has someone tested RPI 3 + JRiver ID ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 8   Go Up