INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Organizing Media - Compilation Albums Scattered  (Read 4044 times)

MPJR

• Recent member
Organizing Media - Compilation Albums Scattered
« on: September 11, 2016, 12:04:02 pm »

Is there some way to organize the view I get of my compilation albums, and other albums (many classical albums) that are for some reason split up into several icons/entries over my library? 

On a related question, is there any means to organize the actual structure of my library as there is in iTunes, whereby it actually creates a system of folders and structure within the library folder on the hard drive?

I am currently using MC20 but open to upgrading if I can get improvements in these specific functions.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Organizing Media - Compilation Albums Scattered
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 01:59:53 pm »

Is there some way to organize the view I get of my compilation albums, and other albums (many classical albums) that are for some reason split up into several icons/entries over my library? 

The most common reason that albums get scattered is that the [Album Artist] tag (as distinct from the [Artist] tag) is not set correctly, and the second most common is that the [Album] tag is not set correctly.  If you look at the tags for the "scattered" compilations, it's likely that the album artist isn't correctly set to "(Multiple Artists)" which causes the software to think that each track is an album by a different artist.  If you fill in the correct values they should sort together assuming the [Album] tag matches.

On a related question, is there any means to organize the actual structure of my library as there is in iTunes, whereby it actually creates a system of folders and structure within the library folder on the hard drive?

The Rename, Move, and Copy feature is what you're looking for.  It works a treat. See https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Organizing Media - Compilation Albums Scattered
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 02:19:06 pm »

mwillems is correct on both counts.  Here's a nice article explaining [Album Artist] and how to use it.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_(Auto)

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up