INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Centre -> Gizmo -> Chromecast Audio  (Read 3603 times)

hugoread

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Media Centre -> Gizmo -> Chromecast Audio
« on: September 19, 2016, 06:15:46 am »

Hello,

I use my master licence MediaCenter on my PC laptop and my iMac and have done so for years. Love it. I also play music around the house using three different Chromecast Audio devices, which are superb. I generally use BubbleUPnP for the music on my NAS and iPlayer Radio for the radio. My home setup is...

MediaCenter on computers to organise, rip, tag and generally browse my music
QNAP NAS holding the library of music (everything stored centrally, not on any computers)
MinimServer DLNA server on the NAS serving the music to my home network
Android phone and tablet using BubbleUPnP to control music and send it to...
Three Hi-Fi systems with Chromecast Audios attached to render the music

The problem I've got is browsing MediaCenter on my PC and playing the music on the Chromecasts. ie I can't do it! It seems that I can use Gizmo to browse the library and play to the Chromecast, but that's no different from using any other app on my phone that can access the DLNA library on my NAS and pump the music to the Chromecast Audio devices.

What it seems you can't do, but I think should be possible, is use Gizmo to receive the music that is being played on the laptop and then simply passing it on to the Chromecast. In other words, I want to browse for the music and control it *from the PC*, not from Gizmo, and just use Gizmo as an intermediary, to get the stream to the Chromecasts. Is that possible? Can it be made possible? :-)

Many thanks,
Hugo Read

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Centre -> Gizmo -> Chromecast Audio
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 08:08:18 am »

Using the BubbleUPNP *Server*, you can make Chromecast Audio devices regular MC "targets" for sending audio.  Meaning, the Chromecasts will appear just like any other DNLA renderer in MC, so you can play them from the computer, or Gizmo, or whatever.

See this post for a few details:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,100512.msg714002.html#msg714002

Brian.

hugoread

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 10:22:05 am »

Yay! Many thanks for this info Brian. I did have a look around before posting but didn't find that. I'm playing directly to the Chromecasts from MC on my Windows laptop now, which is great.

So having added the Chromecast DLNA renderers in BubbleUPnP server it's now working fine on MC my Windows 10 laptop, but there are still a couple of issues I've noticed....

- the Chromecast DLNA renderers appear in 'Playing Now' in MC on my Windows 10 laptop, but they aren't appearing on my iMac. I have the latest versions of MC on both the Windows and Mac machines. The iMac is connected to my home network without other problems.

- I've got three Chromecast Audio devices on my home network connected to different stereo systems, which are all available to play individually or in groups, which is a brilliant features of the Chromecast Audio which should make Sonos quite scared. On the Windows MC I can successfully play music on any *one* of the chromecast DLNA renderers, but I get an error if I try to play to a *group* of Chromecast audio devices. Not sure if that's a BubbleUPnP issue or a MC issue, but any thoughts gratefully received.

Hugo.

hugoread

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 10:42:53 am »

Sorry, I just realised that the Mac version is working, I just hadn't enabled the right option on the MC software on the Mac, so forget the first point.

However, the point about getting an error when trying to play to Chromecast Audio groups still stands.

Hugo.

bubbleguuum

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 12:57:55 pm »

Sorry, I just realised that the Mac version is working, I just hadn't enabled the right option on the MC software on the Mac, so forget the first point.

However, the point about getting an error when trying to play to Chromecast Audio groups still stands.

Hugo.

First, make sure the BubbleUPnP Server is version 0.9-update20 (you can check on its Status web page).
If that's the case, describe what is you issue with Chromecast Audio group (error message if any ?)

hugoread

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 05:28:24 am »

Hi there,

Yes, I do have 0.9-update20 of BubbleUPnP Server running on my QNAP NAS. The error I'm getting is a dialog box that says:

"There was a problem controlling the selected DLNA Device. Double-check your device, server and network settings."

Then after pressing OK, another error dialog comes up, saying:

"Something went wrong with with playback."

This only happens if I try to play to a Chromecast Audio group. If I play to one of the individual Chromecast Audios there's no problem.

My set-up is three Chromecast Audios in different rooms and two groups. One group is with two of them and one with all three. Playing to the groups works fine from BubbleUPnP on my android devices and also works fine with other apps like iPlayer Radio, but not with MC from my laptop (Windows 10).

Thanks,
Hugo.

bubbleguuum

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 05:48:47 am »

Please attempt to play to the Group using MC, then send me (bubblesoftproducts@gmail.com) the BubbleUPnP Server log file.
It is named BubbleUPnPServer.log.0 but I do not know where it is located on QNAP as I did not make the package.
Pages: [1]   Go Up