INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Resolved] Dropouts on MP3 CDs When Played on Alpine 9313 Player  (Read 4271 times)

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
[Resolved] Dropouts on MP3 CDs When Played on Alpine 9313 Player
« on: September 19, 2016, 04:51:59 pm »

I make CDs to play in my truck. In 2004 I installed a new Alpine 9313 player (this was a high-end player and it plays MP3s), and I use a CD head cleaner regularly. I only play the CDs in June and September and only for maybe 3 or 4 hours at most. The rest of the time I do not use the Alpine at all and I listen to my library right out of the computer.

When I burn them I burn them as MP3 files at 16X using Media Center's "burn" process.

For the last year or so I've noticed places in some CDs where the music stops for between 3 and 20 seconds, then restarts. Shortly thereafter, the music stops for good. When I take those CDs and play them on the computer using JR Media Center the CDs play perfectly.  It's as if the recorded CD is deteriorating over time.

Is there some parameter(s) in MC that when set, could correct or cover up what's actually on the CD? Like I said, the CDs play perfectly in the computer but fail on the Alpine.
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3996
* Firefox 122; Thunderbird 115.6.1

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Dropouts on MP3 CDs When Played on Alpine 9313 Player
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 05:19:57 pm »

Sounds like the Alpine's drive isn't as good as your computer's drive.

Are you using regular CD-Rs, or are you using CD-RW or some other type?  Some players eat anything.  Others are more sensitive about various types of CDs.  Another type of CD or brand *might* make a difference.

BTW, CD "head cleaners" are pretty much useless.  I wouldn't use one.

Brian.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 06:59:42 pm »

your alpine is ancient...think of all the bumbs it has taken over the years. I'm surprised it plays at all. when you replace it get one with a usb port!
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 12:03:07 pm »

@blgentry, TAO1857

I'm using regular CD-Rs. Never had any problems up until the last couple of years. It's as if the data on the CDs were deteriorating somehow, but they play nice on the computer.

Re: head cleaners - yes, I'm beginning to think they are pretty useless. What would you use - a factory clean-up?

Re: bumps... I drive some washboard roads but for the last 3 to 4 years I've slowed down alot. Few if any washboard roads, and I just crawl over the slightest ruts that cross the roads.

I'll play these CDs in another car stereo (2016 Hyundai) and see if it's really the CDs or my Alpine. Thank you for your replies!

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 12:32:47 pm »

I'm using regular CD-Rs. Never had any problems up until the last couple of years. It's as if the data on the CDs were deteriorating somehow, but they play nice on the computer.

CD-Rs *do* deteriorate.  There was a big thing a while back about archival quality CD-R media that was supposed to last 20 (or more?) years.  I can't really remember.  If you're using the same brand (and more importantly *type*) of CD-R you've always used, then either your media is going bad (less likely), or your player is going out of alignment or going bad (more likely).

Re: head cleaners - yes, I'm beginning to think they are pretty useless. What would you use - a factory clean-up?

CD player laser "heads" don't get dirty.  They eventually drift out of electrical alignment, but this seems a lot less frequent than it was when CD players for cars were first introduced.  A skilled tech (like at the manufacturer or a really good electronics tech) can realign the laser electrically (the eye pattern) and it *might* do something.  Or it might do nothing.  Hard to say.  It's unfortunate, but many of these kinds of products are really throw away items, since newer ones (with more advanced features) are so inexpensive.

I think an entry level Alpine CD player goes for around $150 and has USB and AUX inputs.

Brian.

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 11:06:13 am »

I took one of the worst CDs, one that had many, many dropouts and that after 15 minutes would just not play anymore on my Alpine, and played it in my Hyundai without problems. Then as a check, I played it again on my Alpine and... it played okay.

Go figger.

I play CDs on the Alpine about 10 hours a year when I take my two off-road trips. Since most of the MP3 CDs play without problems, and since I reburned the really "bad" ones as audio CDs rather than as an MP3, I think I'll just shine it on. Take a few more CDs along.

I appreciate your help. Brian. Thanks again!

Ralph41

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 02:05:51 pm »

@Skeezix does your alpine work as advertised? Would you recommend it?
Sorry for being off topic.

I want to change the stereo from my car for a while now.

I have settled with Alpine. Though I'm lost which unit would be the best choice.
Most internet reviews are just full of ... it's only hype. When I read some real
customer feedback I got discouraged.

After searching awhile I've found a different blog. They sure tell it how it is. I've read that review and got me thinking. Is the Alpine Halo9 HU really that bad?

How bad is that 480p? Is the price worth it?

Any thoughts of wisdom?

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 12:07:07 am »

>>Any thoughts of wisdom?<<

Well, I've had my Alpine in my truck since 2003 when I first bought it. I guess that it's getting old and what with all the washboard roads, roots, rocks, and ruts that I've driven over, it's getting kinda old. Hafta be real careful when I push the buttons 'cause they're getting somewhat loose. I don't know if I'll replace the Alpine, 'cause I'm getting kinda old myself (76 yrs), and my days of off-roading are becoming rather sparse.

What's the name of the different blog that you found?

I don't know anything about the Halo9 HU or the 480p that you mentioned.

I would buy Alpine again, if I were to replace my old one. Sorry that I can't be of more help to you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up