INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wired network, JRiver 21, Ayre QX-5, music plays fast with no sound - Help!!  (Read 3130 times)

donfca

• Recent member

I have a completely wired network with out wireless. Wired router, switch, WD MyCloud and the Ayre QX-5 (network DAC). I have my windows 10 laptop plugged into the above network. I do not have internet into the network.

Using JRiver 21.

I want to play music using JRiver from the windows 10 laptop. I have music stored on the laptop and on the MyCloud. I have selected the network player under options. I can see the music on the MyCloud using explore on JRiver. I can also see the music on the laptop in JRiver.  When I play music it plays in big leaps maybe 45 seconds at a time with out producing any sound-this happens for music stored on the MyCloud and the Laptop.

So it appears that I am connected to the Ayre QX-5 and the MyCloud but there is a problem with playback. It looks so easy but not working yet.

I will be using this setup at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest! That is part of the reason for the wired stand alone network.

Is there a sound quality advantage to using a NAS or MyCloud instead of playing from the laptop?

I really like JRiver and have had many of my customers move to JRiver.

Thanks!
Don Walker

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

Just how are you connecting to the mycloud?

donfca

• Recent member

The MyCloud is a low level NAS - a smarter harddrive. It should be able to move DLNA material. The same problem is happening with files on my laptop, which is where the JRiver is located. I am using CAT 6 cables for all the connections.

I am new to this and maybe I am missing a big piece of the setup? But since I can see storage and Network player shows up on JRiver its seems the network is working and we are connected.

bob

• Administrator

Sorry I wasn't clear.
I meant are you accessing the files on the mycloud as a file share or as a DLNA server (clicking on it in the Media Center tree)?

donfca

• Recent member

I find the MyCloud under Drives and Devices - Explorer- Network - WDMYCLOUD

It does not show up on the tree as a root item. Is that what we are trying for?

bob

• Administrator

I find the MyCloud under Drives and Devices - Explorer- Network - WDMYCLOUD

It does not show up on the tree as a root item. Is that what we are trying for?
No, I just needed to know if it was showing up as a DLNA server.

What are your DLNA server settings in MC? (are you using the Generic DLNA default or something else)?

donfca

• Recent member

Sorry perhaps this is what I am missing?

I have not added a DLNA server under the Media Network. I was just looking at it and the options are confusing. I do need to play FLAC, WAV, DSD...

Do I need to setup my Laptop as a server and my MyCloud as a server - two servers. I did not see a place to select a device.

blgentry

Here's what you should be doing:

MyCloud:  Set up ONLY as a file share.  Disable DLNA altogether.  There's no reason to use it.  It will only cause confusion and potential problems.  Mount it as a drive letter on your laptop.

Laptop:  Mount the drive from the MyCloud as a drive letter like M: .  Make sure you can see files on it using Windows Explorer.  Then..

MC on Laptop:  Import files from the M: drive, which is on the MyCloud.  You might set up auto import here, or just do a one time import of everything.  Let that finish.

Now, set up Media Network.  Turn on Media Network.  After a short time, you should see the QX-5 show up on the left hand side under Playing Now.  To use it, just click on it to select.  Then navigate, using the tree on the left, through Audio to find files you want to play.  Play them in the normal way and they should be sent to the QX-5.

Note:  DLNA is not a very "simple and easy" way of using a DAC.  If you can plug in the QX-5 via USB or Coaxial digital, you'll have an easier time with everything.  Making DSD play as native DSD, via DLNA, which uses DoPoE (DoP over Ethernet) might be particularly problematic.  But it's reported to work.

Good luck with everything.

Brian.

donfca

• Recent member

Brian - We are up and running - including DSD!

A quick taste and the sound is there.

I followed your directions. One of my CAT Cables was bad so that really caused a slow down.

I can also play files from the laptop on JRiver to the network connector on the QX-5. Do you have any idea if there would be an advantage over using the MyCloud over playing files from the laptop. Not really concerned about the size of the storage space, just the quality of the sound.

Now we can play recordings from the back of our show room and not limited by a USB cable length.

I have been using JRiver and USB for many years. I think that you will start seeing a big shift to using network connections.!

Thanks for the help and the great product!

Pages: [1]   Go Up