INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setup for i2s DAC connected to a Raspberry Pi?  (Read 4513 times)

JMediaMan

• Recent member
Setup for i2s DAC connected to a Raspberry Pi?
« on: October 03, 2016, 06:56:33 pm »

Has anyone used an i2s DAC connected to a Raspberry Pi? I am looking to expand my JRiver MC setup into other rooms and I want to use a Raspberry Pi 2 or 3 as well as an i2s DAC? Does anyone know if know if an i2s DAC with will work with JMC? I have experience in setting up a Raspberry Pi headless thanks to instructions found on this forum so I have that part covered.

Thanks,
Jason

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Setup for i2s DAC connected to a Raspberry Pi?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 09:45:12 pm »

It really depends on the DAC and the state of the Linux drivers for it.  For example, the HifiBerry DAC is an i2s DAC and works fine, but there is a device tree entry for it, so it's an easy case.  Some other folks have talked about connecting XMOS DACs via i2s and getting good results, but I can't vouch for that.  If the device is known to work with Linux, it is likely to be potentially doable with a Pi, but I would want to see others succeeding with the specific model I'm contemplating before I'd buy one.

JMediaMan

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 07:46:37 am »

Thank you for the info. I have seen others say they are using i2s DAC's with Volumio and Runeaudio which I thought were both based on Linux so I was hoping that meant JRiver MC would support them as well. I'll keep digging and possibly buy a setup to test.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 04:46:16 pm »

If the pi supports it, JRiver should support it.  It's more of a question of whether any given i2s DAC will work with the pi if you see what I mean.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 10:39:55 pm »

I just use a raspberry pi with hifiberry dac and volumio. Point volumio at my jriver pc and away I go. Works great. (Spotify on it kinda sucks but get an echo dot for that.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up