INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Red October" Still Works after 26 Years!  (Read 1831 times)

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
"Red October" Still Works after 26 Years!
« on: October 07, 2016, 10:31:35 am »

I mean "The Hunt for Red October", the movie starring Donald Trump (manque).  I just watched Alec Baldwin do the Donald for SNL (on a Youtube clip, I can't watch what SNL's become), and in honor of his triumphant realisation I thought I'd take another look at his Opus Magnus, RH.

Even though Clancy painted Jack Ryan as a Harrison Ford-type, Baldwin gives the character real depth, IMO, something that is sadly missing in ALL of Clancy's work (IMO).  I actually prefer Baldwin's Ryan to Harrison Ford's, even though Ford is a better actor.  As I understand it Baldwin made the fatal mistake of demanding more money for future Jack Ryan work just when Harrison Ford was looking for a job, so Baldwin's career got sent to the same place Michael Keaton's did. 

While the VFX (underwater and night-for-day) in the movie were considered disasterous even at the time, they don't really bother anything, as the real action is either on the water or in the sub stages, both of which are magnificently done.  And the script moves well, the action is tightly done and the characters are reasonably real. 

It's a 5-star movie in my library.  Bravo Donald!

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: "Red October" Still Works after 26 Years!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 02:15:15 pm »

I agree with you about ONE thing in this post:  The Hunt For Red October is a masterpiece.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up