INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Basic Sound Card for Bit Perfect SPDIF on Win 10  (Read 4237 times)

rufuspotter2

• Recent member
Basic Sound Card for Bit Perfect SPDIF on Win 10
« on: October 13, 2016, 02:10:14 pm »

Hi

Can anyone recommend a fairly cheap (and current) sound card that will allow MC22 to stream bit-perfect stereo to my DAC over SPDIF?

I have a lot of music from CDs ripped (using MC) to lossless WMA or FLAC files.

I used to be able to play these using MC and my M-AUDIO DELTA 2496 streaming bit perfect 44.1kHz/16bit data to the DAC as SPDIF.

But the 2496 isn't supported under Win 10 and now I have to replace it.

The key criteria for the soundboard are:

- SPDIF Output
     - Win 10 Driver supports a lossless output mode

The DAC (Musical Fidelity X24K) has both coax and optical SPDIF inputs.

Thanks!

Rufus Potter

rufuspotter2

• Recent member
Re: Basic Sound Card for Bit Perfect SPDIF on Win 10
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 09:23:56 am »

Ok so I can confirm (having bought one and got it working) that a Creative Audigy Rx is on option, which has the advantage of an optical SPDIF output.

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 11:04:49 am »

Its a strange thing, but there really isn't a good way to get SPDIF directly from PC to DAC. Or at least there wasn't a couple years ago - I spent a long time looking. Some PCIe sound cards will do it but they won't have the best sound. There are good network based solutions but they're very expensive. What's commonly used is a USB to SPDIF converter. They range from the very inexpensive to the very, very expensive. I can say from experience that the Audiophilleo is very good, but its not exactly cheap - $575 for the base model. The iFi iLink is more affordable (around $260) and is well liked. I don't know your budget, but if you look around you will be able to find something to fit.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 01:57:38 pm »

Many motherboards have SPDIF Optical Out as a standard port on the backplane. Have you checked whether that would work?

Again, many mobos have a SPDIF header. You could source an adapter and operate that way. Check your mobo manual for details.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 02:07:44 am »

This is the sort of thing I was thinking of as far as getting a SPDIF Coax out is concerned:
https://www.amazon.com/SPDIF-RCA-Plate-Cable-Bracket/dp/B0035J9Z7W
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up