INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Convert Format from MP3 to Windows Media (WMA) Not Working  (Read 9805 times)

csedwilliams

Convert Format from MP3 to Windows Media (WMA) Not Working
« on: October 14, 2016, 07:59:23 pm »

Sometime after April 16th, I am unable to use the "Convert Format" option.  I've tried turning off all the DSP's, I've tried previous versions, nothing.  It was working fine for years, suddenly nothing.  I've even tried the latest release (22) downloaded today.  Converting to other formats seems to work.  All I get is a message in the details pane saying "Error"

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: Convert Format from MP3 to Windows Media (WMA) Not Working
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 04:56:05 am »

There was a similar post a short while ago:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,106365.0.html

I think the answer from JRiver was use FLAC.

csedwilliams

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 05:40:27 pm »

Sadly this is not what I've used it for.  I need it to export to .WMA format.  FLAC only exports to .WAV.

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 06:21:19 pm »

I decided to test it on my computer and conversion Fails. Not real sure what happens but as soon as I press Convert, it says conversion is complete. Pressed Details and it just has Failed under Status column. Seems to be only the wma conversion that does this.

Running 22.0.34

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 12:40:53 am »

From the thread linked above... this...
It is an issue with Windows 10 Anniversary and MediaMonkey website had this work around that works with MediaCenterLuckily for me I still had a PC that was not upgraded to the Anniversary version.
The Windows 10 anniversary update (aka Windows 10 version 1607 OR build 14393.xx) introduced a bug that results in failures in WMA/WMV encoding.

The only known workaround is to copy "WMVCORE.DLL" and "WMVENCOD.DLL" from the "system32" ("sysWOW64" on Windows x64) folder in Windows 10 version 1511 into the MediaMonkey for Windows main installation folder and restart MMW so that those files are used in WMA encoding.

worked like a charm for me. There was another ".mui" file in my old backup folder, so I took that over too. Put them directly into the MC22 program folder at (by default on an x64 system) "C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 22", closed and restarted MC and MC server, converts a treat to wma lossless.

If wma is your thing ? ;), you'll want to keep a copy of these safe, as they may not be preserved across MC updates, meaning you will have to copy them back afterwards. There's a plugin folder in our library directories and I tried placing them there as they might be better preserved, but they don't work in there.

JRiver may come up with a fix for this issue, they may not, but in the meantime, I put a copy of the three files that are working for me here <-- They might work for you too.

-marko

221bBS

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 01:12:49 am »

Thanks marko, was lazy and didn't bother to read the linked thread.

One thing to note, coverting from mp3 to another lossy format will degrade the sound quality, ALOT. Unless you're converting to the lossless wma format. Not sure why you would want to since you'll end up with a much bigger file size (3-4 times larger I think).

buckeyewalt

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 03:04:41 pm »

I'm almost like you however, I want to convert WAV to MP3.

There is a workaround, convert wav to flac, convert flac to wv, then convert wv to mp3. Got to be an easier way, just not that computer literate to figure it out.

221bBS

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 03:28:38 pm »

I'm almost like you however, I want to convert WAV to MP3.

There is a workaround, convert wav to flac, convert flac to wv, then convert wv to mp3. Got to be an easier way, just not that computer literate to figure it out.

You can just convert the wav to mp3 using the Tools > Library Tools > Convert Format...

No need to convert from A -> C -> D -> B

buckeyewalt

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 04:13:53 pm »

You can just convert the wav to mp3 using the Tools > Library Tools > Convert Format...

No need to convert from A -> C -> D -> B

I tried that, it won't convert. Says to make sure my files exist (which they do), and are of a supported format.

221bBS

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 11:50:45 am »

Not sure what's wrong with your setup. Mine works fine converting to other formats (except wma).

I'm guessing that the file plays fine in MC (meaning it can decode it). Maybe a bad install of MC?

buckeyewalt

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 02:07:23 pm »

Not sure what's wrong with your setup. Mine works fine converting to other formats (except wma).

I'm guessing that the file plays fine in MC (meaning it can decode it). Maybe a bad install of MC?

Thanks for trying to help out. I really like MC but struggle to get the correct performance out of it mainly because of the complicated procedure needed for some things.
I had this working good until about 3-4 months ago where it just won't convert files. I use my creative sound card as a recorder and create a WAV file, but when I go to convert it, it won't convert unless I do a go around

221bBS

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 03:13:23 pm »

I just want to make sure the 3rd party software you're using isn't doing something strange to the wav file.

Try This...

Find any audio file that's not wav, test file to make sure it plays inside MC. Convert this into wav and convert the wav into mp3. If the original file you are converting to is mp3, be careful that you don't overwrite the original. Maybe copy the file to a different location first.

If the conversion fails, something is wrong with MC. I'd suggest uninstalling and reinstalling, might fix what ever is wrong.

buckeyewalt

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 10:57:35 pm »

I just want to make sure the 3rd party software you're using isn't doing something strange to the wav file.

Try This...

Find any audio file that's not wav, test file to make sure it plays inside MC. Convert this into wav and convert the wav into mp3. If the original file you are converting to is mp3, be careful that you don't overwrite the original. Maybe copy the file to a different location first.

If the conversion fails, something is wrong with MC. I'd suggest uninstalling and reinstalling, might fix what ever is wrong.

Thank You very much for your suggestion to uninstall/reinstall that seemed to work. I was hesitant to try this because I usually screw up something along the way.
Thanks again for your help!!

Gio300ZX

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2016, 09:13:53 am »

worked like a charm for me. There was another ".mui" file in my old backup folder, so I took that over too. Put them directly into the MC22 program folder at (by default on an x64 system) "C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 22", closed and restarted MC and MC server, converts a treat to wma lossless.

If wma is your thing ? ;), you'll want to keep a copy of these safe, as they may not be preserved across MC updates, meaning you will have to copy them back afterwards. There's a plugin folder in our library directories and I tried placing them there as they might be better preserved, but they don't work in there.

JRiver may come up with a fix for this issue, they may not, but in the meantime, I put a copy of the three files that are working for me here <-- They might work for you too.

-marko
Thanks marko - this and your zipfile fixed my issue. I use JRiver because most of my music is flac and the rest is misc mp3 / m4a / wmv. At home, no issue. But I need to copy stuff for use on the move - both on a Windows Phone and via USB drive in my car (the JVC in the car doesn't do flac - plus for the phone, usb and cloud access via OneDrive, conversion to "best possible" VBR WMV keeps space / data use manageable.)
I noticed the JRiver flac > wma stopped working some months ago but didn't have the time to do anything. Using the Xmas break, I started again and spent hours trying different combinations in Options and just encountered the head / brick wall interface. Should have searched the forum first :)
Now I did, found this and it works for me, thank you and Merry Xmas.
- mike

dtente

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 09:05:33 pm »

Thanks for all this.  For whatever reason, this is not working for me.

Wolflied

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2018, 05:56:51 pm »

-marko

Thanks, marko.  I experienced this problem with MC 23 after a recent update.  I tried the zip file and it worked for me.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gork

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2018, 08:52:12 pm »

Copying WMVCORE.DLL and WMVENCOD.DLL to the MC folder doesn't work to encode to WMA lossless for me on MC v22.0.110.  Same results as @221bBS posted above.

krmasson

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2019, 04:01:43 pm »

@Marko
Almost 3 years later, worked magically fine for me (on a MC 24 version).
I have about 15000 fac files, mostly ripped from CDs, and the media player of my brand new car accepts only mp3 or wma files, makes me somewhat angry...

A big thank to you.
CM
Pages: [1]   Go Up