INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver as Server using Gizmo or BubbleUPnP to Android phone away from home?  (Read 9063 times)

Blueshound24

• World Citizen

I would like to be able to listen to my JRiver library while out and about away from my home router via IEM’s and headphones with my Samsung Galaxy 5 phone. I downloaded Gizmo and I am able to listen through my android phone in the house but lose the signal when out of range of my router. I have also downloaded BubbleUPnP and it also works the same, within range of my router.

Is there a way to configure it so it would work with my laptop as a server and I could listen wherever in the world I might be with Android phone? I have JRiver 22 and have purchased all prior updates, laptop is Windows 7.

Also, what is the highest bit depth sample rate compatible with either Gizmo or BubbleUPnP through an Android phone in a set up like this?

TIA
Desk Top:
JRiver 25 > Industrial Intona Hi Speed Isolator > UpTone Audio USB Regen > PS Audio Perfect Wave II 2.4.3 > Parasound Halo > KEF LS50 + HSU STF-1 sub x 2
~ or ~ Questyle CMA600i/Icon Audio HP8 MKII/Lyr >  HD800s/Elear/AHD7000/LCD2.2f/HD650/HD700/u18t/Roxanne

Dedicated Room:
Sony SACD 777ES > First Sound Presence Deluxe Mk II > Plinius SA100 MkIII > Von Schweikert Audio VR5

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Server with Gizmo or BubbleUPnP to Android?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 07:52:42 pm »

Take a look at the Network Access topic on our wiki.  You should be able to get it to work the way you want it to.

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 08:42:36 pm »

Take a look at the [url=http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access][url=http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access]Network Access[/url][/url] topic on our wiki.  You should be able to get it to work the way you want it to.

Yup, been there and didn't understand it. I have searched the JRiver Wiki and forums, and googled online extensively without success. I am here now with my question because I do not understand it and need detailed help on this matter.

Do I need to "forward ports" on my router, or do something with the firewall, or something entirely different?
Desk Top:
JRiver 25 > Industrial Intona Hi Speed Isolator > UpTone Audio USB Regen > PS Audio Perfect Wave II 2.4.3 > Parasound Halo > KEF LS50 + HSU STF-1 sub x 2
~ or ~ Questyle CMA600i/Icon Audio HP8 MKII/Lyr >  HD800s/Elear/AHD7000/LCD2.2f/HD650/HD700/u18t/Roxanne

Dedicated Room:
Sony SACD 777ES > First Sound Presence Deluxe Mk II > Plinius SA100 MkIII > Von Schweikert Audio VR5

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 12:30:09 pm »

Take a look at the [url=http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access][url=http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access]Network Access[/url][/url] topic on our wiki.  You should be able to get it to work the way you want it to.

I’d like to clarify a couple of things.

I recently got into computer audio, prior to a couple of years ago I have never ripped, burned, downloaded music or worked with any program like JRiver or iTunes. Yeah I know, I’m very late to the game.

I admit computers are not my strong point, and being a novice, the inner workings of JRiver and media networking can be baffling to me.

TIA for any help in using Gizmo/Android away from home.
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

Blueshound24

• World Citizen

Does anyone have any input with this?
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

DJLegba

The stuff you read and didn't understand explained that you need to configure your network router to accept traffic on a certain port and send that back to your MC server. But there's an easier way to do it, if your router is relatively modern.

You'll need to log on to your router's configuration screen and enable OpenVPN. Follow the instructions there. Then download an OpenVPN client on your Android phone. Once you have your Android phone connecting to your router via OpenVPN your phone will have access to your home network, so you'll be able to access your music server without having to fiddle around with port forwarding.

Blueshound24

• World Citizen

The stuff you read and didn't understand explained that you need to configure your network router to accept traffic on a certain port and send that back to your MC server. But there's an easier way to do it, if your router is relatively modern.

You'll need to log on to your router's configuration screen and enable OpenVPN. Follow the instructions there. Then download an OpenVPN client on your Android phone. Once you have your Android phone connecting to your router via OpenVPN your phone will have access to your home network, so you'll be able to access your music server without having to fiddle around with port forwarding.

My router is a TP-Link AC1900 Gigabit Router, dual band, (Archer C9). Any chance you could dumb it down a little for me? I can log into my router's config screen, but have no idea what to do there and do not feel comfortable just "trying" a few things. Some of the things I read about port forwarding made me a little concerned about security. Is that a valid concern with either port forwarding or OpenVPN? Thanks.
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

DJLegba

I don't have a TP Link router, but I Googled "TP-Link AC1900 OpenVPN" and there were several links with step-by-step instructions for setting up the OpenVPN service. It doesn't require any special computer skills, so don't convince yourself it's beyond your ability.

One of the links also had step-by-step instructions for setting up the OpenVPN client on an iPhone. I'm sure there are other links for setting it up on an Android phone. Again, no beanie required.

Any time you make a service public on your router (OpenVPN or Media Center) you're accepting some degree of risk. However, even routers get cracked from time to time. It's important to keep your router firmware up to date, and most manufacturers issue security patches that the router will download and install. Again, this is a simple process, and many routers will even automate it, but before you publish any services you really should know how to update the router's firmware. Once you've done that, I would say that OpenVPN carries a greater risk than forwarding the Media Center port, but it's easier to set up.

I don't publish any services. I work from home and have no interest in accessing my music collection from external locations. But if I did I would probably use OpenVPN and turn the service on only when required.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

If you configure OpenVPN correctly it can be extremely secure.  Secure enough that many professional organizations and government institutions use it to allow their employees to remotely log on.  Like anything there are good and bad ways to configure it, but it's significantly more secure than just forwarding a port.  But be warned, it's also a fair bit more complicated to setup than forwarding a port.  Forwarding a port might take 30 seconds, but setting up a secure openvpn connection on both sides might take you half an hour or an hour even with a good tutorial.  Neither one is perfectly secure, and having internet facing anything is a risk if you don't know what you're doing.

Full disclosure, I use OpenVPN at home to allow me to connect to my media collection while away. 

Blueshound24

• World Citizen

Thanks for everybody's input. Looks like I need to research this more due to it's looking more complex than I had hoped.

Another reason I wanted it available on my phone, besides being able to listen to my library, is the ability to see at a glance what albums I already have when I'm out album shopping. I have, in the past, bought duplicates of music I already had ripped to my hard drive.  :-[
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

dtc

• MC Beta Team

The traditional way to access MC from outside your local LAN is to open what is called a port on your router. By default MC uses port 52199, although this can be changed in the Media Network - Advanced. Look for TCP Port and it should say 52199.  What you need to do is "open" port 52199 on your router and associate it with the ip address of your MC computer.

To find out the ip address of your computer you can go to Control Panel - Network and Sharing - then select your network adapter - then select Change Adapter Settings and then select Details. Under IPv4 will be a number like 192.168.1.10. The 192.168 are pretty standard and the next two numbers (1.10) will be specific to your computer. Alternatively, if know how to get to the RUN command, you can type ipconfig on your MC system and it will show you the ip address, among other things. Tge exact details of how to get the Network and Sharing will depend on what version of windows you have, but you should be able to find it.  Here are some instructions.

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-learn-your-computer-s-ip-address-windows-7-windows-8

Now, you need to connect to your router and choose Forwarding > Virtual Systems, then add the port number (52199) and the ip address.

Instructions for your router are here

http://www.tp-link.us/faq-72.html

Hope that makes sense. Give it a try.

JimH

• Administrator

To find out the ip address of your computer you can go to Control Panel - Network and Sharing - then select your network adapter - then select Change Adapter Settings and then select Details. Under IPv4 will be a number like 192.168.1.10. The 192.168 are pretty standard and the next two numbers (1.10) will be specific to your computer.
The example you've given is an internal address that can't be accessed from outside a network.  To get the outside address, visit this link:  http://www.whatsmyip.org/

The wiki has a topic called Network Access .

dtc

• MC Beta Team

The example you've given is an internal address that can't be accessed from outside a network.  To get the outside address, visit this link:  http://www.whatsmyip.org/

The wiki has a topic called [url=http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access]Network Access[/url] .

If you are setting port forwarding on a router,  you use the inside address, not the outside address.

JimH

• Administrator

If you are setting port forwarding on a router,  you use the inside address, not the outside address.
I agree.

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
Re: JRiver as Server using Gizmo or BubbleUPnP to Android phone away from home?
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 08:39:58 pm »

The traditional way to access MC from outside your local LAN is to open what is called a port on your router. By default MC uses port 52199, although this can be changed in the Media Network - Advanced. Look for TCP Port and it should say 52199.  What you need to do is "open" port 52199 on your router and associate it with the ip address of your MC computer.

To find out the ip address of your computer you can go to Control Panel - Network and Sharing - then select your network adapter - then select Change Adapter Settings and then select Details. Under IPv4 will be a number like 192.168.1.10. The 192.168 are pretty standard and the next two numbers (1.10) will be specific to your computer. Alternatively, if know how to get to the RUN command, you can type ipconfig on your MC system and it will show you the ip address, among other things. Tge exact details of how to get the Network and Sharing will depend on what version of windows you have, but you should be able to find it.  Here are some instructions.

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-learn-your-computer-s-ip-address-windows-7-windows-8

Now, you need to connect to your router and choose Forwarding > Virtual Systems, then add the port number (52199) and the ip address.

Instructions for your router are here

http://www.tp-link.us/faq-72.html

Hope that makes sense. Give it a try.

My routers instructions to open ports on my TP-Link AC1900 Gigabit Router, dual band, (Archer C9) router:

Click Forwarding->Virtual Servers on the left side, and then click Add New… button.

Type the Service port which you want to open and the IP Address of your device that you want to open the port for; Select Protocol to TCP, UDP or ALL; Change Status to Enabled.

SETTINGS:
Service Port: (xx-xx or xx)
Internal Port: (xx, only valid for single service port or leave blank)
IP Address:
Protocol: (All, TCP, UDP)
Common Service Port: (DNS, FTP, GOPHER, HTTP, NNTP, POP3, PPTP, SMTP, SOCK, TELNET)
SAVE, BACK

Where do I enter the IPv4 address obtained by ipconfig from the run command?
Where do I enter the IP address from http://www.whatsmyip.org/ ?
Where do I enter 52199?
Which Protocol do I use? (All, TCP, UDP)?
Which Common Service Port do I select? (DNS, FTP, GOPHER, HTTP, NNTP, POP3, PPTP, SMTP, SOCK, TELNET)

TIA
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 09:21:27 pm »

My routers instructions to open ports on my TP-Link AC1900 Gigabit Router, dual band, (Archer C9) router:

Click Forwarding->Virtual Servers on the left side, and then click Add New… button.

Type the Service port which you want to open and the IP Address of your device that you want to open the port for; Select Protocol to TCP, UDP or ALL; Change Status to Enabled.

SETTINGS:
Service Port: (xx-xx or xx)
Internal Port: (xx, only valid for single service port or leave blank)
IP Address:
Protocol: (All, TCP, UDP)
Common Service Port: (DNS, FTP, GOPHER, HTTP, NNTP, POP3, PPTP, SMTP, SOCK, TELNET)
SAVE, BACK

It appears whenever one of the Common Service Ports are chosen, it then automatically enters the same number for the Service Port and Internal Port, and automatically choses ALL or TCP for Protocol.

If DNS is chosen, then 53 is automatically entered for Service Port and Internal Port, and ALL is chosen for Protocol.
If FTP is chosen, then 21 is automatically entered for Service Port and Internal Port, and TCP is chosen for Protocol.
GOPHER - 70 - TCP
NNTP - 119 - TCP
POP3 - 110 - TCP
PPTP -1723 - ALL
SMTP - 252 - TCP
SOCK - 1080 - ALL
TELNET -23 - TCP

So I would just need to know what Common Service Port to use.

And, Which IP address to use, IPv4 address obtained by ipconfig from the run command, OR, IP address from http://www.whatsmyip.org/ ?

Where do I enter 52199?

Also, under "Forwarding" and the before mentioned settings above for the "Virtual Servers", there are settings for: Port Triggering, DMZ, UPnP.
Does anything need to be done with them?
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

JimH

• Administrator

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2016, 10:35:27 am »

Ignore the Common Service Port. It is just a shortcut for some common services. You will be defining your own port.

The Service Port is  52199

The IP address is the one you get from ipconfig - a number like 192.168.1.10

Protocol ALL should be fine.

When you SAVE those settings, your Port Forwarding on the router should be set up. No need to do anything to the other things you mention.

You do not need the outside IP address, the one you get from whatsmyip, for setting up port forwarding. You can use it to access the computer from outside your LAN, but do not need it.

In Gizmo you enter the Access Key  that you get from Tools > Options > Media Network. It is a 6 letter code, something like aBCdeF  The code is case sensitive, so enter it exactly as you see it.

That should let you use Gizmo.

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 11:54:02 am »

Ignore the Common Service Port. It is just a shortcut for some common services. You will be defining your own port.

The Service Port is  52199

The IP address is the one you get from ipconfig - a number like 192.168.1.10

Protocol ALL should be fine.

When you SAVE those settings, your Port Forwarding on the router should be set up. No need to do anything to the other things you mention.

You do not need the outside IP address, the one you get from whatsmyip, for setting up port forwarding. You can use it to access the computer from outside your LAN, but do not need it.

In Gizmo you enter the Access Key  that you get from Tools > Options > Media Network. It is a 6 letter code, something like aBCdeF  The code is case sensitive, so enter it exactly as you see it.

That should let you use Gizmo.

Thank You dtc! That works. I appreciate your detailed instructions.

So I have left the Internal Port blank, and I have nothing entered for Common Service Port, correct?

I'm somewhat concerned about online security and the risk of being hacked. I have Windows 7 fully updated and use Kaspersky Internet Security paid version. So would I have any higher risk associated with this Port Forwarding?
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 06:37:28 pm »

Glad you got it working. You have it set up correctly and you can leave those other two items blank.

I am not an expert on security, but I have never read of anyone here having a security issue because this port is open. I have had it open for years. Personally I would not worry about it.

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 09:18:30 pm »

Glad you got it working. You have it set up correctly and you can leave those other two items blank.

I am not an expert on security, but I have never read of anyone here having a security issue because this port is open. I have had it open for years. Personally I would not worry about it.

Thank you for your input.  :)
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:
Pages: [1]   Go Up