INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compact AVR or Amp?  (Read 4504 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Compact AVR or Amp?
« on: October 27, 2016, 03:26:30 am »

I'm kitting out a guest room and looking for something physically smaller than a traditional sized AVR to take input from a HTPC (NUC) out to a TV (HDMI) and drive 5 x 175w max speakers (no sub).  Needs to look "good", be unobtrusive, and have a remote.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
Re: Compact AVR or Amp?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 03:30:48 am »

marantz have some slimline AVRs - http://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/products/pages/productdetails.aspx?catid=hometheatre&subcatid=avreceiver&productid=nr1607

the amp sections are generally lower powered though (less than 175w for sure but then most AVRs are less than that anyway)

something like http://www.optoma.co.uk/audioproduct/avp18 might be another option though requires a separate amp (which I imagine could be a good or a bad thing depending on the space constraints)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 12:16:31 am »

Thanks, apparently what I want does not exist ... ended up with (another) Yami AVR.
JRiver CEO Elect

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 06:44:10 am »

Thanks, apparently what I want does not exist ... ended up with (another) Yami AVR.

Spec?

Interested to know what your go to unit is.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 05:06:16 pm »

I'm just get the Latest Yami (as I'm familiar with them and they seem to always score well).  Got the new RX-A3060 for a good price (for oz) yesterday (20% off RRP).  This will become my new main amp (ready for 4K when there is a TV I want to buy), and the old one (A3000) will go to the games room etc.  I'll just use a cabinet under the TV to hid the stuff as usual in the Guest Room (AVR, Center Speaker, HTPC).
JRiver CEO Elect

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 06:45:45 pm »

It does seem like a shame to pay for all the extra functionality that will be provided by MC and the HTPC, doesn't it? I will have the same dilemma when I upgrade my AVR. I would rather pay for a Yamaha AVR (or similar) without all fancy stuff, but with support for all the latest standards, and had the power per channel. Although maybe the MusicCast feature is the answer to whole house synchronised audio, since MC still has issues with that.

I see the RX-3060 has HDCP 2.2 pass through. A must have for 4K. It is a very nice AVR.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 07:09:15 pm »

They have also re added Air Play to their lineup which is what I'm using for Whole House at this stage
JRiver CEO Elect

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 10:02:32 pm »

I have an Airplay Server (receiver) running on my HTPC to receive audio and video (https://www.airserver.com/) but don't have an Airplay transmitter in my setup, so that could be useful. Airserver also receives Google Cast and Miracast, so it is a versatile receiver. Worth the investment. It is always handy to have options.

I assume that MusicCast is either a Miracast clone, or Google Cast. Probably Miracast, as it uses Wireless Direct.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up