INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Channel Status Bits - Are they Adjustable with Media Center  (Read 2733 times)

greg9ball

• Recent member
Channel Status Bits - Are they Adjustable with Media Center
« on: November 17, 2016, 11:56:06 am »

Hello Everyone,

Hardware: Mini Mac 2012
HiFace USB to Coaxial Cable D/A Out
Anthem Statement D2V

The Anthem should be able to play files up to 24 bit - 192 kHz, however, the files will not play at this resolution coming out of Media Center.  They will, however, play going into a Benchmark DAC 1 D/A Converter.

I spoke to Anthem about the problem.  They told me that is has to do with the channel status bits.  Here is their explanation:

"The D2v uses the channel status bits 0-3 of byte 3 to determine the incoming sample frequency, in accordance with S/PDIF specification, whereas the Audiophileo is setting channel status bits to 0, which indicates 44.1 kHz. The result is clock selection hardware settings that will work up to 96 kHz in the D2v, but not 176.4 kHz or 192 kHz. For these to operate with the D2v, the Audiophileo must use the channel status bits according to the sampling frequency."

Does Media Center allow me to make these adjustments?

Thank you very much for your help.

BradATIMA

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Channel Status Bits - Are they Adjustable with Media Center
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 12:21:26 pm »

Hello Everyone,

Hardware: Mini Mac 2012
HiFace USB to Coaxial Cable D/A Out
Anthem Statement D2V

The Anthem should be able to play files up to 24 bit - 192 kHz, however, the files will not play at this resolution coming out of Media Center.  They will, however, play going into a Benchmark DAC 1 D/A Converter.

I spoke to Anthem about the problem.  They told me that is has to do with the channel status bits.  Here is their explanation:

"The D2v uses the channel status bits 0-3 of byte 3 to determine the incoming sample frequency, in accordance with S/PDIF specification, whereas the Audiophileo is setting channel status bits to 0, which indicates 44.1 kHz. The result is clock selection hardware settings that will work up to 96 kHz in the D2v, but not 176.4 kHz or 192 kHz. For these to operate with the D2v, the Audiophileo must use the channel status bits according to the sampling frequency."

Does Media Center allow me to make these adjustments?

Thank you very much for your help.
Is this a Mac question?

greg9ball

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 12:38:12 pm »

I am running Media Center on a Mac Mini, so I guess it would qualify as a Mac question.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 01:09:59 pm »

It seems like this should be the job of the core audio driver. We don't generate those control bits in MC.

We provide the material to the driver at the sample rate specified and if the output is to spd/if it should be the job of the driver to handle those markers.

greg9ball

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 01:41:29 pm »

Thank you.   Does anyone have any experience with setting up the drivers in Core Audio?

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 08:11:11 am »

DSP Studio might be set up to down convert high res audio to a lower resolution.  To test my theory, go to Player > Audio Path .  At the top you'll see the input sampling frequency.  At the bottom you'll see the output frequency.

If you see something in the output that is different than the input, you may need to adjust Output Format in DSP Studio.

Otherwise, I would also make sure that in Tools > Options > Audio, you have exclusive access turned off and integer mode turned off.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up