INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting started with JRiver and QNAP NAS TS-251+  (Read 6917 times)

robland

• Junior Woodchuck
Getting started with JRiver and QNAP NAS TS-251+
« on: November 25, 2016, 02:28:15 pm »

I'm a total newb -- just today I got my QNAP 2-bay up and running.

Here's my scenario -- maybe I just need a link to the right starter doc.

I'm running JRiver on a Lenovo Win10 laptop, which holds a music 500 GB library.

I've been using JRiver media network to send music to a Hegel 360 amp via DLNA ethernet.

In JRiver, under Playing from, the NAS appears and I can play sample music from the QNAP's Multimedia folder.

In other words, it seems like using JRiver to play music from the QNAP "just works" -- hurrah!

My super-basic questions:

-- I want to transfer my 500GB music library from my Lenovo laptop to the QNAP. Is this as simple as using QNAP File Station to upload the Music folder from my PC to the QNAP? Or should I map the QNAP Multimedia folder to my PC and drag the Music folder into it from the PC? Or does it make any difference how the Music folder gets moved to QNAP?

-- After I transfer the music files, I need to rip another 1500 CDs to the QNAP. In JRiver, I think I can configure where CD rips go by using Tools > Options > File Location > Audio and change from C:\Users\username\Music\ to Network\NAS037033\Multimedia\Music.  Is that correct?

I'm not interested (yet) in installing JRiver on the QNAP itself, I find docs like this explaining that scenario - https://download.qnap.com/QPKG/GUIDE/Jriver_ENG.pdf

But I haven't found a topic on my simple scenario. Am I using the QNAP with JRiver the right way?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Getting started with JRiver and QNAP NAS TS-251+
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 06:30:02 pm »

-- I want to transfer my 500GB music library from my Lenovo laptop to the QNAP. Is this as simple as using QNAP File Station to upload the Music folder from my PC to the QNAP? Or should I map the QNAP Multimedia folder to my PC and drag the Music folder into it from the PC? Or does it make any difference how the Music folder gets moved to QNAP?
The QNAP is just a big drive, so how you get the files there doesn't really matter.

Of your two options, the second seems the most straight forward.

Try one or two files before you do very many.

robland

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 04:24:06 pm »

Hmm, still researching how to do this. Not sure what to do about the libraries.

My main library has been on my Lenovo laptop. Now a NAS library also appears from the QNAP via DLNA.

But I want to continue to use my current library, and according to this wiki topic, it seems like this library should continue to reside on my Lenovo running JRiver:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library

"Media Center uses the Library files for all operations, and to drive all metadata searches and behavior in the application. For this reason, the performance of the disk where the Library (or Libraries) is critical. The Library files are not large, and should be stored on your fastest, internal disk in the computer (an SSD if possible)."

I initially thought I would (1) transfer the music files to the QNAP, and (2) clone/transfer the library to the QNAP.

But if I keep the library on the laptop, how do I point it to the music on the QNAP? Just flailing here.

robland

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 04:30:21 pm »

I think the basic steps are:

1- Set up QNAP.

2- Move music files to QNAP.

3- Point Main Library from C:\ location to QNAP location. ???

4- Change location where CDs are ripped to: Tools > Options > File Location > Audio (CD rips and Podcasts)

5 -Add QNAP Multimedia folder to auto-import locations: Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Auto-Import > Configure auto-import

6- Change location where library backups are stored (per wiki recommendation), from laptop to QNAP: Tools > Options > File Location > Program Files > Library backups

I wish this process or checklist were documented somewhere...

robland

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 04:52:17 pm »

I used the QNAP File Station to upload an album to the default Multimedia folder and got some unexpected results (see img).

The FLAC files were changed to WAV, the filenames were changed, and some metadata like Volume Level (R128) was lost, though that metadata still exists in the Main Library.

robland

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 05:17:49 pm »

Same result if I try dragging a FLAC file into the QNAP via a mapped network drive.

FLAC gets converted to WAV, and the filename gets changed from this in the Main Library on the laptop:

C:\Users\username\Music\3 Doors Down\A Six Pack of Hits\3 Doors Down - Kryptonite.flac

To this in the QNAP library on the NAS:

http://192.157.1.5:8200/Transcode/A0$852228.wav?type=1,sfid=3,said=86028,sach=2,findex=0,vindex=-1,aindex=256,enMux=2,duration=235,client=25,mime=audio/wav,pn=LPCM,ext=.wav

I didn't expect to have to learn about transcoding to make this work, but isn't that what's happening here during file transfer?

So how can I transfer music to the QNAP while retaining the FLAC format and file names?  ?

Daverich4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 01:15:54 pm »

Same result if I try dragging a FLAC file into the QNAP via a mapped network drive.

FLAC gets converted to WAV, and the filename gets changed from this in the Main Library on the laptop:

C:\Users\username\Music\3 Doors Down\A Six Pack of Hits\3 Doors Down - Kryptonite.flac

To this in the QNAP library on the NAS:

http://192.157.1.5:8200/Transcode/A0$852228.wav?type=1,sfid=3,said=86028,sach=2,findex=0,vindex=-1,aindex=256,enMux=2,duration=235,client=25,mime=audio/wav,pn=LPCM,ext=.wav

I didn't expect to have to learn about transcoding to make this work, but isn't that what's happening here during file transfer?

So how can I transfer music to the QNAP while retaining the FLAC format and file names?  ?

You have something really, really strange going on. As was pointed out earlier, you should be able to just copy your files to your QNAP and use it as an external drive. That's what I do with mine. It shouldn't be changing your files in any way. Might want to ask your question over at https://forum.qnap.com/.

scolumbo

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 02:30:53 pm »

I use a QNAP TS-451+ to store my FLAC files, and MC residing on a PC to control playback. I have no idea what's causing your files to be converted from FLAC to WAV in the transfer process. I can copy FLAC files from my PC to the QNAP via a mapped network drive and there is no file conversion. I also use a program called GoodSync that easily keeps files stored on the QNAP synced with some hard drives on a ProBox attached to my PC as a backup. The files on the QNAP and the ProBox drives are exactly the same.

PAPETOURNE

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 12:11:11 pm »

Same thing for me FLAC are converted to Wav . I used the tuto to load the library but do not understand why and how to revert to flac,

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 03:32:00 pm »

^
Try turning off the QNAPs media server service. You don't need it. Just connect MC to your tracks via a regular shared file folder on th QNAP.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

PAPETOURNE

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 11:17:54 am »

I'm not to succeed to get to this but will try, I'll keep you posted. Thanks

jnahman

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 01:31:20 pm »

I recently bought a QNAP254+ with the idea of keeping the music on the qnap (since my external drive was killed by my dog). In conversations with QNAP, the fastest transfer would be to create a mapped drive on your laptop and using windows explorer, drag and drop. It appeared true to me that the transfer went pretty fast and well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up