INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorting and grouping  (Read 3840 times)

Arcadian

• Junior Woodchuck
Sorting and grouping
« on: December 04, 2016, 05:58:02 am »

This seems like a very basic thing but in a panes view I can't group by album name and sort the grouped albums alphabetically at the same time. If I try to sort by album it tells me it's going to temporarily remove the album groupings and I get a flat list of all the tracks. I would like to retain the album grouping with a single album art thumbnail for each album in the list. Also tried customizing the view using sort by album (a-z) in Modify Results under Set Rules for file display... but it doesnt help. It seems like I'm stuck sorting grouped albums by Album Artist?

What am I missing  ?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sorting and grouping
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 07:31:46 am »

In the top menu where it says "Panes" with a down arrow, you'll find several menu items, including "group by".  Group By is a little bit confusing.  When you select Album from that top level menu, it groups by album, but sorts by some thing like Album Artist (auto) - Album; I'm not 100% sure what the exact sorting is.  To sort differently, go to More Sort Groups and choose "Album" there.  You would think it would be the same.  But it's not!  Choosing Album from that submenu will group by album *and* sort by album name.  You can do more customization by picking different fields, or defining your own.

Brian.

Arcadian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 08:45:11 am »

Fixed, thank you!

alexppg

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 04:19:26 pm »

I know this is an old post but I have a related question.  If I want my groups to be by ALBUM but listed in the order of ARTIST+ALBUM how do I do this?

The only thing I see that almost does it, it's under panes--> group by --> more (sort groups a-z) --> ARTIST - ALBUM (YEAR).

However with this, if the dates of the songs are different it no longer groups them.   Is there a way to just do by ARTIST - ALBUM.
Pages: [1]   Go Up