INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Splitting a multichannel signal to two output devices  (Read 6022 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Splitting a multichannel signal to two output devices
« on: December 04, 2016, 01:21:49 pm »

Is it possible to take a multi-channel audio signal and send the front two channels to a DAC (via SPDIF or AES from the PC) and the rest to an AVR via HDMI.
Since the AVR will only be hooked up to the non-front channels, it would be ok to send the front signal to the DAC and allof the signal to the AVR as well.

I am sure someone would have had this problem before, but I am wondering how it would be dealt with if possible. I could link the zones, but the SPDIF/AES signal would somehow need to be a two-channel only one, and not a downmixed version of the whole signal, but rather a signal that has all non-front channels ignored.

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Splitting a multichannel signal to two output devices
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 01:24:17 pm »

With audio files you can combine two devices into a linked zone and possibly achieve this. I'm not aware of any way to do this with video playback.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 01:35:10 pm »

Thanks, Hendrik.

It's for a client who wants to have his two channel system:

PC > DAC > AMP > Speakers

to be part of his multichannel system:

PC > Receiver > Speakers

His stereo amp can only handle one input being connected at a time, otherwise I would have suggested connecting the AVR's pre-outs for the front channels to the amp, and bypassing the DAC when in multi-channel mode.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 02:32:09 pm »

His stereo amp can only handle one input being connected at a time, otherwise I would have suggested connecting the AVR's pre-outs for the front channels to the amp, and bypassing the DAC when in multi-channel mode.
Why not connect both the AVR's L/R preouts and the DACs outputs to a 2way stereo input switch?
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 02:55:11 pm »

Why not connect both the AVR's L/R preouts and the DACs outputs to a 2way stereo input switch?

That would work if such a thing of satisfactory quality (to satisfy customer) exists, and especially if it is able to monitor the  inputs and switch automatically. Thanks for the suggestion. I will suggest either that or a pair of separate front home theatre speakers.

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 04:41:40 pm »

Is it possible to take a multi-channel audio signal and send the front two channels to a DAC (via SPDIF or AES from the PC) and the rest to an AVR via HDMI.
Since the AVR will only be hooked up to the non-front channels, it would be ok to send the front signal to the DAC and allof the signal to the AVR as well.

I am sure someone would have had this problem before, but I am wondering how it would be dealt with if possible. I could link the zones, but the SPDIF/AES signal would somehow need to be a two-channel only one, and not a downmixed version of the whole signal, but rather a signal that has all non-front channels ignored.

If you were to try Mch playback in your scenario, I expect there will be timing and latency differences between two different DACs because they are not synched to the same word clock, etc.  If you manage to get it working, I would expect poor sound as a result.  In Pro audio, separate DACs are all connected to the same external master clock via I2S, eliminating that problem.  But, that is not a feature of an AVR or most consumer DACs.

It is best to do everything on one DAC, one AVR, etc.  It would be easy to direct output to your stereo DAC or to the AVR via separate zones in JR, even automatically via Zoneswitch. Except, you would also have to switch some other device downstream for sound to emerge from the main front speakers via the resulting signal path. 

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 09:12:50 pm »

That would work if such a thing of satisfactory quality (to satisfy customer) exists, and especially if it is able to monitor the  inputs and switch automatically. Thanks for the suggestion. I will suggest either that or a pair of separate front home theatre speakers.
It is a simple enough task to accomplish but there may not be enough embellishment to satisfy a customer with unreasonable expectations.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 10:17:02 pm »

Thanks all. A solution might be to throw a pre-amp (with pass-through) into the mix, connected to both DAC and AVR's pre-outs.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 05:07:27 pm »

Thanks all. A solution might be to throw a pre-amp (with pass-through) into the mix, connected to both DAC and AVR's pre-outs.
Or replace the AVR with a multichannel prepro.  That will keep the component count and complexity lower.  Also, there is a paucity of available MCH preamps, these days.
In my weekend system, I use a Marantz AV8802a which is as good as and as flexible as any AVR although there are pricier ones.  I can feed the server's multichannel output via HDMI or  via the analog outputs of my multichannel DAC.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 05:24:01 pm »

Actually, a multichannel pre-pro would increase the number of components drastically because each channel would need amplification. With just the pre-amp, the client's AVR will handle amplification for 5 of the 7.1 channels, and the pre-amp-amp will handle the front channels for both 7.1 and 2-channel modes.

And that 8082a is indeed a nice one!

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 07:29:04 pm »

Actually, a multichannel pre-pro would increase the number of components drastically because each channel would need amplification. With just the pre-amp, the client's AVR will handle amplification for 5 of the 7.1 channels, and the pre-amp-amp will handle the front channels for both 7.1 and 2-channel modes.

And that 8082a is indeed a nice one!
OK.  Sounds like a plan.  Also, I think it comes out to the same number of components because adding the preamp (+1) is the same as replacing the AVR with the prepro (0) and adding a power amp (+1).  I still think the latter is simpler.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 07:52:18 pm »

OK.  Sounds like a plan.  Also, I think it comes out to the same number of components because adding the preamp (+1) is the same as replacing the AVR with the prepro (0) and adding a power amp (+1).  I still think the latter is simpler.

I should have clarified - there's almost no way an "audiophile" would go for a 7-channel amp. It would most likely be 7 monoblocks, or 3 stereo and one monoblock.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 04:03:57 pm »

I should have clarified - there's almost no way an "audiophile" would go for a 7-channel amp. It would most likely be 7 monoblocks, or 3 stereo and one monoblock.

There are a few that would suit the most persnickety unless they have a closed mind.

Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 09:25:10 pm »

I'd appreciate any specific models you have in mind. Thanks!

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 08:26:59 am »

Off the top of my head, any of these would be superior to the amps in an AVR:
Theta Dreadnaught D
Various ATI Signature and BGW amps
NAD M25 or M27

Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 06:22:04 pm »

Thanks very much. I appreciate you sharing.

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2016, 09:10:28 am »

I'd appreciate any specific models you have in mind. Thanks!
After having been burned with an expensive Chiro Pro-Logic pre-pro, then an expensive Anthem AC-3 pre-pro both quickly rendered useless because of evolving multichannel processing standards, for a long time I used a mid-range Harman-Kardon receiver as a pre-pro.  I have replaced it with a Steinberg UR824 8-channel ADC/DAC, leaving all processing to JRiver.

Obviously, the HTPC is my sole source in the theater, as I am a cord-cutter and JRiver takes care of OTA TV.

Amp-wise, a 6-channel Classé CAV-150 (any pair can be bridged yielding up to 3x300W RMS) and an old 2-channel Threshold S300 float my boat.

Amplifier technology does not evolve fast, and very high quality older amps do the job nicely  ;)

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2016, 09:45:10 am »

Amplifier technology does not evolve fast, and very high quality older amps do the job nicely  ;)
I agree with you but the OP's client has a biased view which, nonetheless, must be accommodated.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2016, 10:36:30 am »

I agree with you but the OP's client has a biased view which, nonetheless, must be accommodated.

Thanks.
Not sufficient evidence in this case to jump to this conclusion, but it is certainly a possibility. I was just being pre-emptive, and I want to have this information; it is the type of thing that gets asked often, when there is actual bias for sure. I try to accommodate and not judge as much as possible. I also inform when an honest opinion is sought, with the proviso that my experience is rather limited.
Pages: [1]   Go Up