INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New 2.40:1 thread  (Read 7432 times)

bhampster

• World Citizen
New 2.40:1 thread
« on: December 07, 2016, 05:48:55 am »

Hi,

I was "lucky" and someone gave me a 2.35:1 screen for free... It's nearly as tall as the 16:9 screen that I was using so I really don't lose much giving it a "shot"....

However,... I'm fairly confused about how to make use of it. There is a good start in this old thread...

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=101350.0

I'm wondering if there is any NEW notions about this and if not I will likely be trying to make some new observations.

I'm not using a animorphic lens... I'm zooming to fill the screen and using a custom rez and basically acting like my pj is 1920x812.

In this setup though 3D is completely broken for me. I know Hilton managed to get 3D working in the old thread above but he's using a program I don't have... I do have a seperate program I can use for 3D but I don't know if that would help.

-Brian

bhampster

• World Citizen
Re: New 2.40:1 thread
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 04:16:06 am »

Maybe I should have PM-ed Hilton instead of making a thread.

I can say that I LOVE the new 2.35:1 setup and he and his thread above gave me the idea.

One problem I'm having is I use JRiver for 3D directly and that doesn't seem to work if you have a custom resolution or at least it hasn't worked for me yet. This may not be a problem because I recently got a new projector and while it's lovely I haven't seen good 3D from it yet.

I'm fairly curious now if anyone is doing the scope without a lens setup now.

-Brian

bhampster

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 07:35:09 am »

Ok ... it's just me I think. I may be the only JRiver user with a 2.35:1 screen and no animorphic lens.

I am using a custom 1920x812 ratio and JRiver scales everything (but 3D) correctly.

I won't bump this again... but I am off to try to get the 3D part working.  Seems when you have defined a custom resolution with Nvidia the automatic switching into and out of 3D gets broken.

I'm almost willing to move 3D off the Media Center and use either my BDP or PS3 for all 3D.

-Brian

Hilton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 08:31:05 am »

Havent tried this for a while. Because I'm using the screen for xbone and PC a lot these days I've gone back to 16:9.  But I'll have a play around with 3D again for you. Now I'm using MC for 3D playback it might be different.

I'll report back in a day or so.

Cheers

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 09:04:44 am »

You probably need to make your changes in madVR and not do a custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel in order for 3D to work.

Go into the madVR settings and set the device type as "Digital Projector".

Use the Devices > [device name] > Screen Config to set a mask for the top and bottom. I recommend 138 pixels for the top and bottom. Check the box that says "move OSD into active video area". To make madVR processing faster, go to Processing > Zoom Control and check "automatically detect hard coded black bars" and "crop black bars".

After you have properly zoomed the projector, the movies will play correctly and the JRiver OSD will be within the viewing area.

bhampster

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 11:13:56 am »

Hey,

Thanks ! ...

After I made the last post above I did more experimenting myself. I thought there may be something in MadVR controls that could help but I had no idea what... So I think the post just above this one will be very very useful.

I got my scope screen free and it's been disruptive. I have a PS3 and Wii U and even a Roku but the good news is 94.596% of my bulb time is JRiver so I don't mind making adjustments using the projector if someone wants to play the occasional game.

I think the method mojave shared may be the ultimate answer for my needs... I have to go try it now.

-Brian

bhampster

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 12:17:08 pm »

Hey,

Double post but really want to say thank you again.

That solution (Mojave) posted worked so well... I'm VERY happy now.

I didn't know exactly what to do with my 3D... but now once again JRiver does all of my media and that's a huge deal for me.

-Brian

Hilton

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 06:01:13 am »

Thanks Mojave for posting the solution. Works really well and has me tempted use 2.40:1 more and make a motorized masking system.

I also added a 13% overscan border in theatre view settings to keep the theater view main navigation and graphics in the 2.40:1 ratio which also works really well and was wondering is there any other scaling tricks that can be used on MC or on the desktop without creating a custom resolution?

Hilton

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 06:30:50 am »

Wow - I got custom 1920x812 60hz and 23 hz and 3D working with Mojave settings. That's pretty cool.

I could never get 3D to work previously if I created a custom 23hz resolution. Maybe NVidia have changed something (or madshi madvr?) because before you definitely couldn't get 3d to work if you had a custom resolution set with a 23hz refresh rate.

I did notice however that the projector still goes to 1920x1080 24 (23.976) when in 3D mode but hey with Mojave settings in madVR it still works just fine. (I'm pretty sure the projector wouldn't accept a weird resolution for 3D anyway)

I have set default desktop res to 1920x812 60hz and changed MC settings>Tree View>Full screen to 1920x812 60hz so everything now fits the screen ratio. After a 2d or 3d film is finished it goes back to 1920x812. 

Oh I've also turned on custom resolutions in MC under settings>video>Display Settings and set the default desktop res of 1920x812.

PS. Ive also been able to turn off the theatre view 13% overscan border and now the whole of theatre view fits in the 2.40:1 ratio.. :)

bhampster

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 06:17:33 am »

Hmm..

Ok ... I'm still slightly confused...

I originally used Hilton's solution of a 1920x812 ratio and everything EXCEPT 3D was happy.

Then, I went back to native 1920x1080 resolution and used Mojave's solution of having MadVR put everything in a masked window and everything including 3D was happy.

Now it seems Hilton has some type of hybrid because he's still using a custom rez and still has 3D.

I have to experiment with this.

Of the 2 solutions I have enjoyed the Mojave's use of the native 1080p more because having a custom rez does screw things up (thanks Nvidia)... however, the automated detection of black bars has shown my a few glitches. I was watching Dolphin Tale 2 with my daughter and all was fine till during the credits there was a collection of home movies... this threw the black bar detection for a loop and we had some video drop outs .. (black screens) during what should have been regular playback. Also the other day I started a scope movie (Fellowship of the Ring) and wanted to chapter skip several chapters (because I don't bookmark) and because of the picture content the hard coded black bar detection failed and I had a picture window boxed on all sides.

I still love having a 2.35 screen... it has been a bit of a buggy work in progress though.

-Brian

bhampster

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 05:00:12 am »

Did maybe the best home theater upgrade ever yesterday.

I bought a $200 LG TV and moved Video Games out of the HT and into a upstairs recreation room.

Now, I never have to setup my PJ for 16:9 ... so I'm pretty committed to having this 2.35 bussiness work out nice.

Plus my only source for the HT is my JRiver HTPC. No internet streaming ... that can be done elsewhere.

-Brian

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 03:01:27 am »

Now, I never have to setup my PJ for 16:9 ... so I'm pretty committed to having this 2.35 bussiness work out nice.

Until you play a movie or tv show thats full height, personally losing the content would bug me, hence why such a setup is probably not for me. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Hilton

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 05:08:18 pm »

Until you play a movie or tv show thats full height, personally losing the content would bug me, hence why such a setup is probably not for me. :)

With the madVR auto crop features you can end up with a 16:9 image on the 2.40:1 screen and then use curtains like the cinema does to mask the edges.  But your right it's definitely not for everyone.
Until I get a new 4K projector and anamorphic lens I'm still torn, but the masking of 2.40:1 on 16:9 screen is still annoying too.

I think the only way to be perfectly satisfied with both 16:9 and 2.40:1 is to have an automated masking system and projector with anamorphic lens sled or at least a lens memory.

My 16:9 screen is actually a little on the large side for my seating distance so 16:9 with black edges on when using the 2.40:1 masked screen is actually perfect size wise... that is until you need to run something other than your PC as your video source!
At least we have some cool options to play with now. :)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 05:25:23 pm »

No content is lost. ? Just set two profiles in madvr with automatic switching based on image height.

With a JVC projector one really doesn't even need masking anymore since the black level is so low.

Hilton

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 11:48:39 pm »

No content is lost. ? Just set two profiles in madvr with automatic switching based on image height.

With a JVC projector one really doesn't even need masking anymore since the black level is so low.

Its even easier than that. The default madVR profile when set to mask for 2.40:1 with your settings suggested, will present a full 16:9 image (scaled down) in the 2.40:1 screen.

A white screen is still a white screen however and does distract and lessen the perceived contrast compared with properly masking the area with black.

bhampster

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 05:01:58 am »

Hey,

This whole idea was heaven for me. I had all my movies playing back on my 2.35 screen automagically placed. I didn't mind at all the down sampling of native 16:9 content because the 2.35 stuff was tuned perfectly and the 16:9 stuff looked just as good in a smaller portion of the screen.

Everything was fantastic but now subtitles are posing a challange.

I see there is a place to not crop subtitles.. I have to experiment and see how that goes.

Edit - I think I may zoom all my movies manually ... if the "Zoom" factor sticks well. I suppose if I ever changed my playback machine or had to nuke and pave I may have to zoom again.... If a movie has subtitles I'll just zoom it out a bit hopefully... will lead to some scaling but so far my experience with scaling has been positive.

bhampster

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 05:00:58 pm »

Hello again,

Today I tried to understand how Hilton was using Mojave's settings and his own custom resolution.

It took hours really because I didn't understand it.

It finally clicked though. I can have the desktop set to the custom rez 1920x812 and use that rez for theater view. In the Video section of MC I tell videos to all play at variations of 1920x1080... using the masking instructions from Mojave above.

It's all very simple when you understand it and impossible until you do.

I have turned off the automated croping of black bars because I can't always get my subtitles with that option. It's still fine though... Everything plays back with the correct AR automatically... Scope movies I zoom manually.

-Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up