INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver hi rez use with McIntosh C52 preamp  (Read 3365 times)

spudz

JRiver hi rez use with McIntosh C52 preamp
« on: December 07, 2016, 10:35:51 pm »

Hello:I have loaded JRiver MC22 onto several I7 window 10 PCs connected to a McIntosh C52 preamp which has a DAC capable of DXD and Quad DSD.  I have set up exactly in accordance with jr and McIntosh labs instruction using McIntosh ASIO output.  Then after downloading DXD and DSD, and high resolution PCM content (e.g. acoustic sounds, L2, etc) everything worked just fine.  The C52 preamp displayed resolution of each download, and sound quality was very good.  Then, out of the blue, all high resolution playback just stopped. 

I have tried this on 3 different PCs and the same exact result, runs fine at high rez, and then will only play back on intermittent basic on direct sound output only at 16 bit 44.1 Hhz.
Hi Rez ASIO download and playback under McIntosh ASIO or any other output just stop working. 

I have rechecked all settings with JR wiki, McIntosh, Microsoft and Micro center.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Deanna

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: JRiver hi rez use with McIntosh C52 preamp
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 07:46:14 am »

Here is a more detailed report that the user sent me when he was having a problem getting onto the forum (he has a MC22 Windows license):
"Anyway, here is a summary of the key background points:

-When I initially downloaded the trial with jriver I downloaded the app onto a custom Powerspec PC so that I could download (e.g. HDtracks, acoustic sounds) and play high resolution audio into a 2 channel sound system.

-As I said above, the PC is a newly build Power spec with the latest I7, SDD, RAM etc using Windows 10.  The PC was then connected to a McIntosh Labs C-52 preamp using a USB 2.0 connection. The McIntosh C52 preamp DAC is capable of handling DXD and DSD quad inputs.  After I downloaded all the McIntosh C52 software, everything worked just fine including DXD, DSD dual, PCM 24/192 which were downloaded from various sites including acoustic sounds, L2 hi res audio, etc.  The McIntsho preamp displayed all the resolutions so that you could tell what the signal was e.g. 192, 352). All hi res sample and bit rates worked.

- Then, out of the blue the jriver just stopped working for audio, or in some instances only would play 16 bit 44.1 Khz.  After talking to the McIntosh folks it was decided to have the computer widows 10 and reset to make sure there were no driver conflicts.  After reloading the McIntosh software and jriver, the app still would not play any hi res.  I then got on the phone with Ron Cornelius as McIntosh labs and we spent a couple hours rechecking all settings to make sure they were correct.  The playback still would not work with Mcintosh ASIO or anything else. Only sporadic direct sound and only at 44 Hkz. Mind you, I only purchased jriver so I could play high res music.

-After that, I uninstalled everything again and tried reloading.  Then I tried to reload jriver.  But when I tried to get a reinstall code no code appeared on the e-mail attachments from jr.  Somehow I got jriver back on but audio other than direct output would still not work. I called jriver and left several messages but did not get a call back.  So because the reinstall key did not appear in the jr e-mails, I tried downloading jr and McIntosh sw on another computer PC windows 10.  It initially working (just like the first time) with hirez downloads, but then stopped again like the first time.  Then I tried a third PC using windows 7.  Same things, Initially worked on McIntosh ASIO then just stopped. 

- In all instances no meaningful error messages show up, except the little blue light blink on the river audio pane on the upper middle right.  A couple times a error message show up about a 88 Khz sample rate, but that same exact file download perfectly earlier.  Have checked out all the PCs and the McIntosh C52 and they seem to be OK through aria. Please note, I have downloaded all jr wiki setting and have rechecked all setting with Ron C. at McIntosh.

So at this point I'm totally baffled.  Each time the high res downloads worked perfectly, with the McIntosh ASIO and then they won't either play at all or only at 44Khz.

If there is anything you can do to help me fix this, I will be eternally grateful.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 01:46:02 pm »

I have set up exactly in accordance with jr and McIntosh labs instruction using McIntosh ASIO output.  Then after downloading DXD and DSD, and high resolution PCM content (e.g. acoustic sounds, L2, etc) everything worked just fine. 
Did you set it up to use Bitstreaming?

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSD

spudz

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 11:05:28 am »

When working with the McIntosh rep we tried in both ways with the box checked and unchecked.  In both cases the little blue wavy box at the middle top panel was flashing.  Making it appear that the units where no shaking hands.  But I'll try it again to leave no stone unturned.  Thus far, the only thing that makes a difference is when the direct sound output is selected.  But it only plays intermittently at 16/44.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 05:04:01 pm »

Have you tried doing a reset of the McIntosh preamp?

I can assure you that MC works with many, many, many different types of DACs; this is unlikely to be an MC problem.  Have you checked power management on your USB ports?  When USB ports go to low power mode, they break the connection with many DACs.

Do any other software players that use ASIO work with this device?

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up