INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: View only mode (Was: Playlist sync from MAC? )  (Read 2372 times)

eezetee

• World Citizen
View only mode (Was: Playlist sync from MAC? )
« on: December 10, 2016, 08:50:27 am »

Hi All,

Haven't been around much lately, but definately still enjoying my JRiver setup.  Family loves being able to watch/listed to their content in the house or on the go. Best investment in software I've made for family times.

That said, I just a windows PC to edit a playlist stored on a dedicated server, however it seemed like the changes didn't take.
I created a new playlist and even copied it into the folder/group that houses the original one, but it seems like it's not sync'd that way too.

What is the best way to modify/create playlists? I can't do it on the main server is there is no sound/Input to that PC (it's in my attic)

eezetee

• World Citizen
Re: Playlist sync from MAC?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 09:04:33 am »

Ok, i've found out why my changes didn't work.  It seems authentication was disabled (it must be enabled to sync) and then once I enabled it, then clicked on SYNC, it did indeed add the new playlist I created as a test. Great.

However, how can I make sure that only my username can create/edit/delete things and not other people.  Can I create role based access controls?

eezetee

• World Citizen
Re: Playlist sync from MAC?
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 01:29:30 am »

I've looked at Party mode but that is not available on my tablets running EOS.

So, I guess my question now is,  how can I make sure that any remove clients (tablets, phones, HTPC) cannot override any existing data?

I'd prefer my username = do all,  another username = view only

eezetee

• World Citizen
Re: View only mode (Was: Playlist sync from MAC? )
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 07:09:57 pm »

Anyone have an idea to have
1 user that can tag/create playlists and sync library
1 guest user that can only read/play

I want my PC and the server itself to be able to modify (my user id)
but my family member's only to be able to read (for fear of undoing hours of work)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 04:35:36 pm »

Apparently JRiver has recently added the ability to have authentication turned on the normal way, with a username and password, but with the ability to also do a Read Only user.

Use a username of "readonly" and a password of "readonly" and it should work.  See the official announcement here:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,107518.msg750147.html#msg750147

Brian.

eezetee

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 09:24:34 pm »

Thanks Brian.  I think this will solve my use case.   There were others that wanted user based views/filtering but for me, I just wanted to have basic authentication but ability to prevent family members from destroying my tags/library.

Will report back after testing.  Cheers!

eezetee

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 01:35:46 am »

I've upgraded to MC 22 and I can confirm the readonly/readonly does indeed work.

This solution will work for my use case. 

Many thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up