INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video stopped audio kept going, why?  (Read 1943 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Video stopped audio kept going, why?
« on: December 15, 2016, 07:02:27 am »

I ran into an unusual problem and am looking for some help troubleshooting.

On Tuesday I was watching an episode of Fringe (the episode was ripped to MKV from my Season 1 collection on DVD), during the show the video suddenly stopped but the audio kept playing. I was able to fast forward (jump ahead) and the audio would jump ahead but the video stayed frozen. I stopped the show completely and resumed and then it played fine for a while then the video stopped again. This time I exited MC, restarted the program, and resumed watching to the end of the show.

On Wednesday, I was watching the next episode of Fringe and the same thing happened. So I exited MC, shutdown MC (I had an upgrade version waiting) upgraded the version to .48 and continued watching. But it did it again. I switched over to another Show and watched it to the end without problem.

I suppose I could have a bad mkv file (Fringe episode) but it seems unlikely that two episodes in a row would freeze up. All of my media is on a raid system  so it is unlikely that the hard drive or such is the problem. I was thinking now maybe the mkv files are corrupted somehow - but I have watched these before without a problem (a couple of years ago I watched the complete season from the same files on the same computer).

Maybe the files are degrading. Any way to test this? My RAID array is good (auto verifies every two days). There's no report of problems in the log.

Any ideas? I guess I'll watch another episode tonight and see what happens.

CountryBumkin

Re: Video stopped audio kept going, why?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 05:30:29 am »

Froze up again last night on the next episode of Fringe. I have to stop and restart to get video working again but it will play over the place it froze so it doesn't appear to be anything wrong at any specific place in the file. These are all MKV files. I suppose I could also try playing the same files on a different "client" computer to see if they freeze there too.
Also I'm using RO+HQ (madVR exclusive) for playback.

I'll try again tonight - but this time I'll watch a different Series (that is in mkv format) to see if it's just the Fringe Series or if it the MKV file type that is the problem.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 08:05:01 am »

Are you using our ROHQ only?  Or have you modified it in any way?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 11:48:10 am »

There are some modifications made with the madVR program such as the method of scaling and such.
I'll watch tonight's episode using RO-STD and see if that plays through.

Of course, I don't think there is anything wrong with MC programming. I'm just hoping some of the computer geeks here can help me pinpoint the issue.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 11:55:43 am »

Did you change the version of madVR to something other than what came with MC?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 01:10:04 pm »

No.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 05:13:07 am »

Froze again last night on RO+HQ.
I switched to RO+STD and watched another full episode. No freeze. Maybe it is related to madVR.
I'm going to continue the test - I'll watch another episode in RO+STD, and if no freeze, switch back to RO+HQ and see what happens.

What's really odd is that it seems to only be happening with this one Series. But I've only watched a handful of shows so far so its still early to tell.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 12:48:19 pm »

I now know that it is RO+HQ (madVR) causing the problem.

I went into madVR folder and reset it to default. I added the two display options (1080p59, 1080p23) but other than that no changes. So far I watched two episodes without a freeze.

I may try adjusting a few other settings to see if I can find the single setting causing the freeze, but it takes about 20 minutes of watching before a freeze happens, so it could take a long time to test each setting. For now, I'll just enjoy watching an entire episode in RO+HQ mode without a freeze and leave well-enough alone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up