INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot Push to Sonos Play 5  (Read 1992 times)

bobusfindus

Cannot Push to Sonos Play 5
« on: December 18, 2016, 01:33:44 pm »

Hi all,

I have been trying to push audio files to my Sonos Play:5 in my kitchen, but I'm clearly doing something wrong:

I choose the Sonos PLAY:5 Media Renderer in the 'Playing Now' tree section in the left hand pane. When I choose some music to play though, it seems like it tries to play the music on the Sonos, but fails after about 5-6 seconds and moves on to the next track in the playlist, and so on until it's tried every track in the playlist. Initially I thought it might be a file type issue, but I have tried if with FLACs and MP3s, and both filetype behave exactley the same.

Is there a setting I need to make somewhere that I am missing?

Please let me know if you need any further information (I'm on a Mac by the way).

Hopefully it's something simple!

Cheers, Bob

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Cannot Push to Sonos Play 5
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 02:26:57 pm »

Welcome to the forum.

Were you able to find out what the Sonos can play?  WAV, for example?

You can set conversion for MC's DLNA Server.  Media Network > Add or Configure DLNA Servers.

bobusfindus

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 04:32:50 pm »

**UPDATE**

OK I'm happily streaming reggae through to the kitchen now   ;D

When I set up the DLNA server, I'd chosen 'Audiophile 24bit DAC', which the Sonos clearly is not. I think the stream it had been sending through must have been melting its tiny brain! I set it to 'Generic DLNA', which sets the stream to serve an 'MP3 High Bandwidth' format. This works.

I then tweaked it up a bit more though and set it to serve 'PCM 16bit' format, which also works, but will be a higher bitrate (I think).

Anyhoo - hope this helps someone else. Thanks for the reply JimH.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 12:02:44 am »

Yes. The Sonos is rather unusual. It accepts MP3 and WAV (PCM 16 bit with header), but it does not accept the DNLA "must support" format L16 (PCM 16 bit no header).

So in other words it is UPnP compliant but not DLNA compliant..

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up