INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Difference between view and smartlist ?  (Read 2010 times)

Cmely

• Junior Woodchuck
Difference between view and smartlist ?
« on: December 25, 2016, 11:44:02 am »

I do not really understand the difference between between 'Library View' and 'Smartlist'. As it is possible to define the same filter and modifier in both (for what I know), it seem to be that 'Smartlist' are not that relevant finally.

Did I missed something about it ?

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Difference between view and smartlist ?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 02:34:10 am »

A smartlist generates a set of files?

A view defines how to display them?

Think of the smartlists as the building blocks, and the view as the overall design?

Cmely

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 11:28:35 am »

A smartlist generates a set of files?

A view defines how to display them?

Think of the smartlists as the building blocks, and the view as the overall design?

Thanks Mark_h.
But I still don't understand, sorry. I'm certainly not a power user of MC like you, even if I've been using it for years, and I've never really digged to far under the surface.

However, what makes me ask this question are things like described in this thread for instance. Especially the solution given by blgentry at the end of the thread.

Even if it's smartlist related, I see it's possible to use those expression in Views also as they accept the same arguments. I've been able to create a View with a "Album_Ratings" pane allowing me to choose from my preferred album.

It seems to me that under this configuration, the View is also generating a set of files ?

Is there somethings you can do only with Smartlists and not in Views ?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 11:41:17 am »

They are similar functions in that both can display an expression based search, the main differences between them relate to how they appear in the interface:

Views have these interface features, but not smarlists:

1) Display pane or category views as opposed to just a list of files
2) Can be part of a hierarchy, and can appear as part of the view hierarchy in theater view or Gizmo

Smartlists have these features, but not views:

1) Can be "sent" to playing now, or to a device for sync purposes
2) Expressions that generate large numbers of results (or have to touch lots of files) can sometimes slow down the interface.  Putting those kinds of expressions in views can have a worse effect on performance than building a smartlist and only looking at it when you need to see it.

Generally they're just different ways of interacting with and displaying content.  I personally use smartlists for maintenance tasks whereas views are more permanent and intended for family consumption.  For example, an expression that shows me all the audio files that haven't been analyzed gets put in a smartlist but not a view because it's something no one but me needs to see, and I only look at it once a month.  But I could have setup a view for that, they're really very similar.

Cmely

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 09:36:48 am »

Thanks  :D I get it better now !
Pages: [1]   Go Up