INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help - Recommending Graphic Cards  (Read 5104 times)

Cindy_B

• World Citizen
  • I Love My MC !
Help - Recommending Graphic Cards
« on: July 21, 2003, 04:57:11 pm »

I'm looking for a good graphics card that will display my videos to my TV.   I don't want to pay to much money, however I do want the best possible screen display.

This would be the only feature I would really need.  I don't want to pay an arm and leg for other features that I would probably never use.  (ie. ATI's "All in Wonder" )

I would like to hear from anyone who has been playing videos with MC and learn about their experiences and/or recommendation on graphic cards.

-Cindy

nila

Re: Help - Recommending Graphic Cards
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2003, 11:51:28 pm »

Cindy - I dont have alot of experience, I'm stilling using my Matrox G400 Max which is now a few years old.

32Megs of RAM - Dual head - it works great for what your saying.

As far as I know, pretty much ALL new cards can handle anything along the lines of what your saying easily and do it well. They only have problems when it comes to the latest and greatest 3d games.

I was having a look at this page:
http://www.computerorbit.co.uk/acatalog/orBIT_GEFORCE_4_CARDS_19.html

As you can see - u can get 128Mb DDR Ram cards with TV out pretty cheap - ANY of the 64Mb ones or higher I cant see having ANY problems at all - the 32Mb ones can probably even do the job perfectly

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2003, 01:01:04 am »

Hi Cindy,

the best picture on a tv is probably the one you get whet you connect a Matrox G400 using RGB->scart (if you're in Europe that is...)
The second best you can get is to connect the same card using s-video ;-)

just make sure you don't get a G450 or G550 (not sure about the newer cards). These don't show overlay in clone mode, meaning you can't use hairstyle for video.

Ingo

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2003, 02:43:16 am »

www.ati.com
www.nvidia.com

are the best, i have a 9700 pro very nice

the all-in-wonder cards are nice also i had one on my older computers, and the TV works on MC9

many people think there cards are good, but when you look at the best and compare them to the top of the line they look like 286 quality.

if your into video games do not go cheep!
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Cindy_B

• World Citizen
  • I Love My MC !
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2003, 04:14:49 pm »

Thanks you guys. I'm looking and comparing prices.
I think ATI is going to my choice.  I really want quality in my videos.

Cindy_B

• World Citizen
  • I Love My MC !
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2003, 04:35:54 pm »

www.ati.com www.nvidia.com
are the best, i have a 9700 pro very nice

the all-in-wonder cards are nice also i had one on my older computers, and the TV works on MC9

King Are you using Radeon 9700 Pro or All-in-Wonder 9700 Pro?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2003, 05:03:24 pm »

King Are you using Radeon 9700 Pro or All-in-Wonder 9700 Pro?

I had a 32meg All-in-wonder Radeon on my old computer, this one has a Radeon 9700 Pro with an ATI TV Card.

both of the ATI cards were nice this one blows away the older ATI all-in-wonder card i had.

I also have had nvidia cards in the past, they are nice but they may have compat problems with the ATI TV cards (they did in the past).

when you go top of the line they do cost some money but if your into driving graphics you need to get a top of the line card.

if all the major games do not list the card name on the box by name i would not touch it with a 20 foot pole.

Never, ever buy a computer with the video board on the mother board.

Fayetteville, NC, USA

Cindy_B

• World Citizen
  • I Love My MC !
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2003, 05:20:19 pm »

I had a 32meg All-in-wonder Radeon on my old computer, this one has a Radeon 9700 Pro with an ATI TV Card.

Did you add the ATI TV Card because the Radeon 9700 Pro has no TV out capabilities or add it for video capture?  I'm not sure I understand what the TV card does.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2003, 05:24:06 pm »

Radeon 9700 Pro has no TV

only the all-in-wonder has a TV on the video board.

at that time the top rated video card was Radeon 9700 Pro and the all-in-wonder version was not aval, normaly the all-in-wonder cards are 6 months behind the top f the line ATI card

besides i had this TV card for sometime and just use it to watch TV sometimes. i have a color TV next to my Monitor so i don't really need the TV card.

since i am still in the closet i need all the room i can get.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Cindy_B

• World Citizen
  • I Love My MC !
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2003, 05:37:55 pm »

Ohhhh...  Thanks King so much for all your help.  

One last question.  I can't see to find any differences between the All-in-Wonder Pro and the Non-Pro. I'm afraid it may be something I may regret later.  Do you know Pro's added features?

My main insterest is the best Visual and Audio for TV-outputting. Would the Non-Pro version be the way to go?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2003, 05:49:58 pm »

I never looked into the specs between the two

but the video from TV should be the same, and it is not much better if any than 640x480 for TV. TV is not that good to start with and any normal card would do for that.

where good video cards come in handy is video editing, and high res games normaly.

some new games will not even run on lowend video cards one of them is microsoft combat flight simulator 3 and will not even run on a on the mother board Intel video chip. that is shiped with most lowend computers with video on the mother board.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Doc_Holiday

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2003, 06:19:43 pm »

Here is the card I would get for what you want to do.

ATI RADEON 7000 64MB DDR AGP TV-out RETAIL
www.newegg.com has it for $65.00

It's a great card, I will do everything you want it to do.  You don't need the horsepower that the higher end cards offer and you don't need the All-In Wonder version.  

Also, don't get your hopes up to high. Remember that a TV has a very low res. so small text will look like crap.  Your videos will look just fine though.

Cindy_B

• World Citizen
  • I Love My MC !
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2003, 06:45:10 pm »

Here is the card I would get for what you want to do.

ATI RADEON 7000 64MB DDR AGP TV-out RETAIL
www.newegg.com has it for $65.00

It's a great card, I will do everything you want it to do.  You don't need the horsepower that the higher end cards offer and you don't need the All-In Wonder version.    
Also, don't get your hopes up to high. Remember that a TV has a very low res. so small text will look like crap.  Your videos will look just fine though.

Hi Doc!  
Thanks... however I'm currently using a Radeon 7500 128 mb with TV out but it doesn't show overlay.   It also doesn't give me the option to send video to TV as a second device (monitor). It just projects or duplicates my desktop.   I want a card that handles my TV as a second device and not and extension or copy of my desktop.  This way I can program on my monitor and view on my TV.   I can not do this with 7500.
I hate this card.  

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2003, 07:07:21 pm »

What drivers are you running?  I thought all the Radeon class cards with the Catalyst drivers allowed defining the TV-out as a second monitor and controlling what goes to it?

I'm running a Radeon 8500LE with the Catalyst 3.6 drivers, but the TV is that machine's only display.

For tons of information on Radeon drivers see http://www.driverheaven.net.

-John

sraymond

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2003, 07:11:54 pm »

Cindy_B,

I sounds like there might be a problem with setting up your video driver.  Assuming you have the latest Radeon Catalyst drivers, you should be able to do what you want.  Video gets sent to the second display (TV) so long as you have the TV set to the non-bullseye (I forget if that is clone mode or not) and have "theater mode" turned on (it's a setting within the ATI Control Panel's "overlay" tab.

If you do a search on "overlay" in posts by me or Griff, you should find lots of discussion on how to get everything to play nice.

If you have any specific questions, let me know and I can try and help.

Scott-

Cindy_B

• World Citizen
  • I Love My MC !
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2003, 08:41:11 pm »

Hey..... I'M downloading the current drivers for my card.  From what I've read about the driver update notes,  I believe you guys just solved my problem.   THANKS SO MUCH!  :-*

Cindy_B

• World Citizen
  • I Love My MC !
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2003, 09:13:30 pm »

Yeap.....  That did it!!!!!   Looks great and works wonderful with MC and most of all it's an affordable card for video display.       Finally.... I can play.

Thank all of you for your help.  

Cindy_B

• World Citizen
  • I Love My MC !
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2003, 10:42:37 pm »

Cindy_B,

I sounds like there might be a problem with setting up your video driver.  Assuming you have the latest Radeon Catalyst drivers, you should be able to do what you want.  Video gets sent to the second display (TV) so long as you have the TV set to the non-bullseye (I forget if that is clone mode or not) and have "theater mode" turned on (it's a setting within the ATI Control Panel's "overlay" tab.

If you do a search on "overlay" in posts by me or Griff, you should find lots of discussion on how to get everything to play nice.

If you have any specific questions, let me know and I can try and help.

Scott-

Hey Scott.  
I finally have a great display on my TV using the Theater Mode on Overlay.   However I just discovered a new problem.  The video only displays full frame as long as the "Playing Now" window is visable within MC.  If I move around anywhere within MC I loose my video on TV.   After loading ATI CATALYST 3.6, 07-14-03 I still only have TV as an extension of my monitor (left or bottom) or clone.   The Theater mode only works with the clone setup.   I'm thinking I might have to buy All-in-Wonder for a second display for Un-interrupted video on TV.
Do you loose your video display on TV when navigating within MC?

NoCodeUK

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2003, 12:25:12 am »

Cindy,

I have the Radeon 7000 and I think I am able to do what you want so I guess it must be a setup.  I have not tried with MC but using Windows Movie Maker, I set my monitors so that the TV clones the main screen and I set it to display video in overlay mode when there is video present.  I can use Movie Maker normally but when I start playback video shows full screen on the TV  and I can still navigate normally within Movie Maker on the desktop...if this is what you want to do let me know and I will check the exact settings and let you know.

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

sraymond

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2003, 11:51:20 am »

finally have a great display on my TV using the Theater Mode on Overlay.   However I just discovered a new problem.  The video only displays full frame as long as the "Playing Now" window is visable within MC.  If I move around anywhere within MC I loose my video on TV.   After loading ATI CATALYST 3.6, 07-14-03 I still only have TV as an extension of my monitor (left or bottom) or clone.   The Theater mode only works with the clone setup.   I'm thinking I might have to buy All-in-Wonder for a second display for Un-interrupted video on TV.
Do you loose your video display on TV when navigating within MC?

That's definitely strange...  the only similar problem I've had occur is if MC is minimized I sometimes lose the video on the TV out.  But I've never had a problem with video out while MC is focused (either mega- or mini-me).

What are your overlay's theater mode settings?

I don't remember the behavior when I was using the 7000 (I have an AIW 8500 DV now), but I don't see why the overlay should be disturbed by browsing within MC.  You might ask Yaobing, as he's helped me out of quite a few problems.

Scott-

Cindy_B

• World Citizen
  • I Love My MC !
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2003, 02:06:11 pm »

That's definitely strange...  the only similar problem I've had occur is if MC is minimized I sometimes lose the video on the TV out.  But I've never had a problem with video out while MC is focused (either mega- or mini-me).

What are your overlay's theater mode settings?

Scott-

My Theater mode settings are :
1). Set Video Aspect ratio to:  Full Screen video
                     other option is:  Same as source video
2). Display device aspect ratio: 4:3(standard TV)
                       other option is: 16:9 (Widescreen)

sraymond

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2003, 04:39:09 pm »

Cindy_B,

My overlay's theater mode options are set as following:

Overlay Display Mode:  Theater Mode
Theater Mode Settings:  Same as source video
Display device aspect ratio:  4:3 (Standard TV)

I'm not sure if you've typed the wrong item names...  but if you don't have "same as source video" set, I'd suggest that you try changing that.

Let me know...

Scott-

Cindy_B

• World Citizen
  • I Love My MC !
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2003, 05:42:09 pm »

Scott,

That was the first thing I did.  I saw no difference in both settings.  
I double checked and tried it again using your settings.
Nope still the same.  Audio still plays but the screen changes to clone my desktop.

Another problem with overlay is that it does not display visualizations on TV when an mp3 is mixed in with a music video.

Do you think the All-In-Wonder 7500 will give me TV-out as a second device?  I think that's my problem.  I don't like that Radeon 7500 won't give me that as an option.

I'm looking for alternatives at an affordable price.  :-/

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2003, 08:36:40 pm »

Definitely not dirt cheap, but it is now shipping...

AIW 9800

Blew a load on the Carolina trip (King...stayed at Emerald Island), so now I'm rebuilding. 9800 has some advantages vs 9700 at very high rez's (1600x1200 and above).

The Atlantic rocks!

10-27
Pages: [1]   Go Up