INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a 'presentation mode' available?  (Read 1594 times)

Daniel Warner

• World Citizen
Is there a 'presentation mode' available?
« on: January 12, 2017, 08:00:30 am »

I tried searching for this but came up empty but I'm not entirely sure what to search for so forgive me if this has already been answered elsewhere.

Is there a way to play video on a secondary screen/monitor whilst keeping the controls /interface on the main screen, kind of like Powerpoint's 'presentation mode'? -

I use my Surface at events to play music and sometimes for playing videos and I really don't want to mirror the displays and I also don't want to have to drag the interface over to the projector screen and control it from there as it will be projected behind me at the back of the stage.

If JRiver can't do this, what would you guys recommend for doing this?  VLC can do it - but it's really awkward and the interface on my high res surface is absolutely tiny making it almost unusable.
Sybil, you're always ... refurbishing yourself

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is there a 'presentation mode' available?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 05:27:11 pm »

I think you just need to detach the video display and drag it over to the extended screen a la: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Detached_Display

But I'm not the expert at this, Glynor is.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 10:28:24 pm »

Is there a way to play video on a secondary screen/monitor whilst keeping the controls /interface on the main screen, kind of like Powerpoint's 'presentation mode'?

Absolutely. MC excels at this. And, yes, the answer is to use a Detached Display:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Detached_Display

This allows you to use the entirety of MC itself, in whichever mode you want (Standard or Theater View) as the "controller". The "display" pops out (with no UI left on it at all, to speak of) and you can move this around independently of MC itself, but you still use MC just as you would normally to control it.

MC can have multiple Detached Displays, running simultaneously, one per-Zone. And, they remember (again, per-Zone) their last-used size and screen position, including whether they were full-screen or not. So...

1. Make a Performance Zone.
2. Hook up the projector in extended desktop/non-mirrored mode.
3. Play something in MC on your laptop's screen and detach the display.
4. Drag it to the projector.
5. Make it fullscreen or arrange as needed.
6. Close the display (by clicking the corner X, right clicking on it, or hitting the "click here to bring back" link which appears in all of the usual playback displays).
7. Now that zone will always go fullscreen (or to that last window size and position) when you re-detach it, so long as the external display is still hooked up. Pro-Tip: Control-6 opens the current zone's Detached Display immediately even with playback stopped.

Before the "event" begins, you just open the detached display. If there is nothing in Playing Now, it shows black window with a very subdued MC logo. If you're real into it, you can even replace the logo with a transparent image (or your own logo).

All of the "regular" ways you can control MC apply equally to MC with a Detached Display open (JRemote/Media Network control, command line, COM, scripting, another copy of MC over the network, whatever). Any of the Display Plugins (stuff you can do in a "display" in MC) will go there when played.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 10:37:12 pm »

Even cooler, should you ever need to, and your computer is powerful enough?

Make two zones, hook up two displays, detach both, and you can run different content on both, simultaneously. There are some considerations if both have sound (you need to disable the exclusive playback modes, disable audio output in all but one of the zones, or have separate audio devices for each zone), but... It can do some impressive things.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up