INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have a 32bit DAC but use S/PDIF Coax connection... should I select 24bit DAC?  (Read 3141 times)

wakka992

• Recent member

Hi guys,

As of now I have 32 bit DACs (Chor MoJo and ESS Sabre based Burson Conductor V2+) but the input I use is Coax since I bought a really good quality USB to S/Pdif converter last week.

In JRiver I use ASIO driver, so even if I only play 16/24bit file in the "audio path" section I can see the output is only 32bit (and I understand that's an ASIO thing).

The max bit depht of the S/Pdif converter is 24bit and that is fine because Coax is limited on 24bit on the Burson (the Chord is 32bit even in coax   :o ).

My question is: should I select "Device uses only most significant 24 bits in the audio->device settings" because I'm using the S/Pdifi limited 24bit input even if I have 32bit dac?

Reason tell me yes, but it seems it's working fine even with ASIO 32bit output.

What do you think?
Thank you for your assistance!

stewart_pk

• Citizen of the Universe

The max bit depht of the S/Pdif converter is 24bit and that is fine because Coax is limited on 24bit on the Burson (the Chord is 32bit even in coax   :o ).

My question is: should I select "Device uses only most significant 24 bits in the audio->device settings" because I'm using the S/Pdifi limited 24bit input even if I have 32bit dac?

I think yes, because it's the safest option. Your USB to SPDIF convertor might truncate 32 bit to 24 bit and the option above protects your audio data should this occur.

wakka992

• Recent member

I selected the "Device uses only most significant 24 bits in the audio" option but on Audio Path it does still show 32bit output ASIO direct connection... What can I do? I emailed the converter customer service and they confirmed me that the device can't handle 32bit data... But it's still working. Don't know, what can I do?

Instead if I select WASAPI I can force bithdepth to 24bit and audiopath does display 24bit (padded); even if I leave WASAPI on automatic it goes 24bit (padded).

wakka992

• Recent member

Bump.

Guys/developers a little help here?

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

Its quite normal behavior for ASIO drivers to only accept 32-bit signals, even if the hardware is only 24-bit - thats what the checkbox is for. Just check it, and everything is as it should be then.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

wakka992

• Recent member

Thank you Hendrik, that's reassuring  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up