INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UPnP / DLNA client choice on Raspberry?  (Read 2217 times)

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
UPnP / DLNA client choice on Raspberry?
« on: January 24, 2017, 11:42:18 am »

Hi, I find myself the owner of a shiny new Raspberry Pi 3, and fancied having a go at making it a headless audio player, streaming from my MC server. I'm interested in opinions about what the best route for making it into a UPnP / DLNA client.

There seems to be an option to load MC itself (subject to license fee....), or other players like Volumio. This is for occasional use, doesn't have to be audiophile quality, will probably only ever be connected through the standard Raspberry audio jack. I'll be using JRemote for control.

Your thoughts, ladies and gentlemen?

PS Apologies in advance if this is covered elsewhere, I did have a quick look, but didn't see an obvious thread.

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
Re: UPnP / DLNA client choice on Raspberry?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 11:50:09 pm »

As a starter I've gone with Volumio. Two instances up and running. On the Pi Model 3, everything works perfectly. On an old Model 1 with a USB wireless card and USB audio adapter, it's sort of working working but the wifi speed is only 1mb! Bit clunky.

kosmicken

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: UPnP / DLNA client choice on Raspberry?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 07:05:27 pm »

Although you say it doesn't have to be audiophile quality, you'll do well to get a $30-40 DAC.  The onboard audio is definitely very poor quality.  I noticed a HUGE difference going from onboard audio to the HiFiBerry DAC+.

Other than that, how'd it turn out?
Pages: [1]   Go Up